RUMOR - Journey to the Center of the Earth

imagineer boy

That has to be the worst rumor I've ever heard comeing from Scream Scape. First off, no more clones! Second, what the heck does Journey to the Center of the Earth ride at Tokyo Disney Sea ever have to do with animals? Third, it would totally not fit the theme of Camp Minnie Mickey! I certainly hope this isn't true.

chancellor

Original Poster
You're right about the theme problem, BUT if this could be the start of Beastly Kingdom, perhaps the Magma Worm counts as a mythical animal? After all, Everest doesn't have much to do with animals, except for the mythical Yeti. And didn't I read somewhere that the BK concept had been trashed in favor of spreading our the "mythical" animal rides around the park? This may be a stretch, but I'm just hoping for SOMETHING to liven up AK.

Also, the rumor seemed to indicate it wouldn't be an exact clone of the TDS ride, perhaps based on the abandoned version for the MGM backlot tour (see Jim Hill yesterday).

jcarriv

That ride would be the worst fit in DAK. Every other park would be a better fit. :hammer:

To fit it into the DAK they would have to stretch and make it into the beastly kingdom ride.

Camp Minnie Mickey? Isn't that supposed to be the part of DAK for younger children? That part of the rumor doesn't make sense at all. :hammer:

wannab@dis

I tend to agree with Imagineer Boy on this one... The theme doesn't seem right at all to me either. While it would be great to see the attraction, I'm not sure about the location.

If they take it and add lots more "mythical" theme to the area and other attractions, then I guess we could have the "Beastly Kingdom" area. Of course, it would not be finished or complete, which is what many complain about.

Just have to watch and see where this goes. I'm not holding my breath.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Its been a long standing rumor for WDW. Have a look at http://www.wdwmagic.com/magic2.htm

20 August 2000: Bald/Fire Mountain -- make way for Journey to the Center of the Earth???

It is almost approaching 2 years now since the rumors about Fire Mountain and Bald Mountain (see below 1998 news) started circulating. While these projects (at least Bald Mountain) definitely existed as possible projects at WDI, it looks like they may not be built for some time - if at all. These projects now join the list of great attractions never built...or maybe until a new CEO visits the WDI model shop. (Just like how Splash Mountain was green lighted by Eisner when he visited WDI model shop)

Now here comes the rumor....please note it is a rumor, and there are at least 2 other projects being looked at by Eisner - so just as with Fire/Bald Mountain - this may come to absolutely nothing.

The next possible phase of construction at MK is to be a huge expansion into a new land (41 acres of expansion behind Big Thunder Mountain), incorporating at least 1 major E ticket ride -- a copy of the awesome thrill ride mountain being built at Tokyo Disney Sea. This is WDI at their best - and what an amazing addition this would be to MK.

The following description of the Tokyo attraction from http://www.tokyodisneysea.co.jp/english/index.html

"Mysterious Island brings to life the writings of Jules Verne, the father of modern science fiction. Guests can visit Captain Nemo's secret base where he will invite them to become members of his crew for two thrilling adventures. On one, they will plunge to the bottom of the sea and encounter shipwrecks and mysterious creatures. On the other, they will journey to the depths the earth where the only escape route lies through an active volcano."

"Journey to the Center of the Earth" is located within the volcano itself. Riders will travel downward through the volcano in "Enhanced Motion Vehicles" and encounter a large Animatronic creature.

chancellor

Original Poster
Here's a thread I found from April discussing this rumor (citing Jim Hill):
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=21865

And another from December (though from a VERY speculative source):
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=32028

Could this just be rumor feeding off of rumor?

The only reason I think there's any credibility to this is that the suits are looking at MGM as a model, where they added ToT and RnR and transformed that park from a half-dayer (same criticism AK gets today) into a major draw. Eisner is thinking Everest plus another blockbuster will transform AK in the same way (though hopefully he won't be CEO by the time either ride opens :animwink: ) Dusting off bits of BK would probably fit that bill.

As a side note, I would think they would have to completely re-theme or eliminate Camp Minnie-Mickey to make this fit even remotely.

BeachClubVillas

I understand what everyone's saying, but what does Dinosaur have to do with animals? What about Everest? And Kali? Dinosaur is at least about real animals, albeit long dead ones. I say if Imagineering is even considering this, it's a good sign. They really need to focus on AK right now since they really haven't done anything to improve it since it opened. With Everest opening soon, another well-themed thrill ride could really push AK over the top. I'm really trying to remain optimistic on this one, can you tell?? :lol:

Moustronaut

imagineer boy said:
First off, no more clones!

Yes, normally I would agree with you, but this ride is certainly clone worthy! The themeing and everything from the TDS version is some of Disney's best work. It really makes you feel that you've entered some futuristic sci fi lab built into the heart ofa mountain. It's simply an amazing attraction experience and I would certainly love to see it Florida so I don't have to fly 14 hours to ride it.

But I totally agree that it doesn't belong in DAK, especially not in Camp Minnie Mickey.

I'd love to see it on the 20K site between fantasyland and tomorrowland. I thought Jules Verne's stuff always made a great transition from futuristic to fantasy.

jrriddle

Moustronaut said:
I'd love to see it on the 20K site between fantasyland and tomorrowland. I thought Jules Verne's stuff always made a great transition from futuristic to fantasy.
Agreed! This is where it belongs! Or where the Speedway is.
Save Camp Mickey for a Narnia themed land (if the movies do well).

bhg469

I would be all for anything that would get DAK more guests, the park is great just lacks a little something extra. i think that the ride would be grea and im all for clones when they arent on the same continent and i have no chance of ever seeing the original.

Bring on the clones!

Lee

Adventurer
Wow...
I'm away for a few days and look what pops up...one whopper of a rumor.

Well, personally, I have never heard of this attraction ever being close to greenlit for AK.
MK...sure, that has been floating around for a while...but I haven't heard much in a year or so.

Let me snoop a bit..... :lookaroun

mrmickeymouse

what were the people at screamscape on?.First off journey does not fit in at DAK..put it in MK where fantasy belongs.. with the return of 20K it doesn't have to be the volcano

jcarriv

The Indy Speedway site is a great place for it and get rid of something that needs to be redone at the same time.

As for DAK, theming thrill attraction around the Loch Ness Monster in the Beastly Kingdom would seem to be logical. Placing it there gives a thrill corner to the park and starts the Beastly Kingdom off with two of the most talked about creatures of our time.

DisneyFan 2000

As long as it's just the name of the project this sounds good! Give it a different story other than Jules Vern (more like a 'Fire Mountain' version). This could be a great addition to DAK!

JBSLJames

I like what Steve posted. That would make for a pretty sweet area. We don't get much in the way of WDW rumors up here in PKI's backyard.

jrriddle

While my first choice for this project would be the Speedway at MK.
Now that I've had some time to think about it, if they were going to build the whole Mysterious Island with JTTCOTE and 20K that Volcano would look pretty cool in the heavy vegetation of DAK. And while it would be a stretch 20K is about undersea exploration with a giant squid as the focus and the lava creature being the focus of JTTCOTE. Not quite animals, but close.
Ah heck I just want to see it built really badly. I'll justify anything at this point.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe they will demloish Camp Mickey-Minnie? After all it was only a cheap semi permenant design (thats another story..)

Lee - have a good snoop and as always let us know!

I have a new theory. JTTCOTE will go in the 20k site with TDS clone 20k. If they are even considering adding a TDS ride to the park that means it won't be the 5th gate and the attractions are up for grabs. Another E ticket in Ak would be nice too though, but something that fits. If they did put it in CMM it would be the beginning of the end for it.

Shaman

Journey I think fits nicely in Adventureland....Jungle Cruise needs to be replaced and moved to AK faster than replacing the Indi Speedway...

While the overall theme for Camp Mickey-Minnie can change, the Lion King theater was just enclosed...so perhaps if anything the theater will remain (even if in the future a new show is added)....my question is how much space do they have to work with in that area...it seems like such a small area...with once small access point...a thrill ride in that area would cause major traffic problems unless they link the area to Africa somehow....

Also wasn't there a rumor that the 'camp' was going to be turned into a Flick Funfair like the one at DCA for the 50th Year of Disneyland celebration?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom