RUMOR!-Fantasmic! to recieve updates or be replaced by 2020.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Saw Fantasmic last Monday (4.23) for the first time in a year or so, and to me, it appears as it's had some $ thrown it's way. Projections were the clearest I've ever seen them. Effects that used to barely work or didn't work at all, were all working-all 8 Poco torches on canoes worked and didn't fade out; the waving, spinning sparklers in the finale all worked; and many more. Much more smoke in the Maleficent scene, which made the dragon more menacing. I don't mind the head on a stick as Murphy-out west- is too cartoony for me. Seemed like there was a bit more pyro in the finale than I was used to. Lasers at the end were VERY noticeable. Although DL had the huge upgrades this year (it looks pretty spectacular), I'm preferring the DHS version now, since DL butchered their soundtrack. If DHS added the projection mapping, as DL has, the current DHS show would be pretty spectacular in itself. With it's original soundtrack, untouched, and a few more upgrades, I feel the DHS version holds it's own against the DL version in it's current state. Call me CrAzY!

Skibum1970

I need to watch Fantasmic this year.

While not wanting to be a snotnose, when I see the title of this thread, all I can think about is "i before e except after c".

FullSailDan

If they dare get rid of Fantasmic I will protest so much. They can't do that! It's easily the best show, it just needs and update like DL. But please don't remove it!

Agreed, love the show concept. Just saw it last Monday night, it did look like some minor improvements were being implemented already. The vinyl canopy on the back of the stage looks like its been refreshed, there were some changes to the pyro used when Mickey stabs the water with the sword, lasers appeared to be upgraded at the end, and they started casting Mickey's shadow on the wall when the steamboat comes by. All little touches that plus the experience.

They really just need to re-work the story elements, cut the Pocahontas segment entirely, fix the facial and voice morphs for the villians segment, and it'd still be a solid show.

Disone

Saw Fantasmic last Monday (4.23) for the first time in a year or so, and to me, it appears as it's had some $ thrown it's way. Projections were the clearest I've ever seen them. Effects that used to barely work or didn't work at all, were all working-all 8 Poco torches on canoes worked and didn't fade out; the waving, spinning sparklers in the finale all worked; and many more. Much more smoke in the Maleficent scene, which made the dragon more menacing. I don't mind the head on a stick as Murphy-out west- is too cartoony for me. Seemed like there was a bit more pyro in the finale than I was used to. Lasers at the end were VERY noticeable. Although DL had the huge upgrades this year (it looks pretty spectacular), I'm preferring the DHS version now, since DL butchered their soundtrack. If DHS added the projection mapping, as DL has, the current DHS show would be pretty spectacular in itself. With it's original soundtrack, untouched, and a few more upgrades, I feel the DHS version holds it's own against the DL version in it's current state. Call me CrAzY!

I agree. I prefer the head on the stick, not because Murphy is too cartoony but it just leaves nothing to the imagination. Its too clearly visible and defined. The East coast dragon is more animus, with its smoke and glowing eyes.

I use to stronger perfer Disneyland's Fantasmic, but man you called it right when you said they butchered their soundtrack. Just terrible wha they did to the Fantasmic Theme. Disneyland needs to higher a DJ to re score the current show using the original soundtrack. Only then could I love it again as I once did.

Bacon

Don’t ask how I got first look images
A28F280F-3896-44A9-AEEB-B6FF60A6DA80.jpeg
34437EB3-AAE8-4E60-92EA-714E4637901D.jpeg

mm52200

Agreed, love the show concept. Just saw it last Monday night, it did look like some minor improvements were being implemented already. The vinyl canopy on the back of the stage looks like its been refreshed, there were some changes to the pyro used when Mickey stabs the water with the sword, lasers appeared to be upgraded at the end, and they started casting Mickey's shadow on the wall when the steamboat comes by. All little touches that plus the experience.

They really just need to re-work the story elements, cut the Pocahontas segment entirely, fix the facial and voice morphs for the villians segment, and it'd still be a solid show.
Not a projection of Mickey’s shadow on the wall with the steamboat, that is literally his shadow from the spotlight that follows him.

FullSailDan

Not a projection of Mickey’s shadow on the wall with the steamboat, that is literally his shadow from the spotlight that follows him.
Yup, hence the word 'casting'. I think in the past they cut the spotlight out ahead of time to prep for his teleport to the top of the mountain.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'll also chime in and say the show looks slicker than it has in previous viewings. I saw it for the first time since November Wednesday evening and enjoyed it as always. The new lasers (I guess they're new or maybe brightened) at the end were superb!! I do hope we see some tweaks in the future as DHS continues to evolve, but not to the extent the show is ruined like what happened in DL.
New lasers were added last October.

Jimmy Thick

Did the Fantasmic dining package yesterday at Mama Melrose’s, first off the food there was amazing, I highly recommend.

As for the show, with the package you get prime seats in the middle while seating they blocked off the whole section so people who didn’t buy a package could not sit there. We had empty rows in the middle as it looked like they did not allow scraggliers.

As for the show, it was only ok.

A lot of the projections were terribly washed out while some were perfectly clear. Hard to understand how something like that would happen.

The effects were amazing and the best I had seen in a while, the lasers were crystal clear and shot through the smoke.

The theatre was nowhere near full, it was raining pretty good through the whole show but there was no delay show started exactly at 9.

Disone

Upgrade the dragon, replace the Pocahontas skit, improve the projections, refresh the score (keeping the iconic themes), and add something new but that is unique. Boom. Fixed.
Do not refresh the score. Disneyland did that and IMO it really ruined the show. WDW's is now the better of the two. I would take out the dragon..... completely rebuild the mountain so that it can become chernobog. Instead of the Dragon the mountain would unfold into chernabog from Fantasia and he would light the water's on fire. Perhaps update the Pocahontas scene with something else, and also update Riverboat at the end to be a little bit more Majestic. I would also look for some opportunities to trim down some of the extended water screen sequences. The parade of bubbles come to mind and the overuse of villains to build up also come to mind. Pick three or four good villains to build up to the fire, anything more than that tends to feel a little overdone.

SteamboatJoe

Do not refresh the score. Disneyland did that and IMO it really ruined the show. WDW's is now the better of the two. I would take out the dragon..... completely rebuild the mountain so that it can become chernobog. Instead of the Dragon the mountain would unfold into chernabog from Fantasia and he would light the water's on fire. Perhaps update the Pocahontas scene with something else, and also update Riverboat at the end to be a little bit more Majestic. I would also look for some opportunities to trim down some of the extended water screen sequences. The parade of bubbles come to mind and the overuse of villains to build up also come to mind. Pick three or four good villains to build up to the fire, anything more than that tends to feel a little overdone.
Some really good ideas here. I get your concern about the score. The DL change didn't bother me as much but I did notice it. They can leave the shrill female voice during the POTC bit out west. *shudder*

aladdin2007

Did the Fantasmic dining package yesterday at Mama Melrose’s, first off the food there was amazing, I highly recommend.

As for the show, with the package you get prime seats in the middle while seating they blocked off the whole section so people who didn’t buy a package could not sit there. We had empty rows in the middle as it looked like they did not allow scraggliers.

As for the show, it was only ok.

A lot of the projections were terribly washed out while some were perfectly clear. Hard to understand how something like that would happen.

The effects were amazing and the best I had seen in a while, the lasers were crystal clear and shot through the smoke.

The theatre was nowhere near full, it was raining pretty good through the whole show but there was no delay show started exactly at 9.

when you do the package, do you get to bypass all the mass crowds that they make wait out front so early, Or do you still have to go through that part?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom