RUMOR!-Fantasmic! to recieve updates or be replaced by 2020.

TP2000

It should be noted that Disneyland's Fantasmic! already got a thorough reworking with a multi-month rehab in 2009, and the updated version debuted digital projectors, new audio system and special effects, new floats and characters and a new animatronic dragon, and lots of new stagecraft. And WDW's version got... nothing. Then eight years later in 2017 Disneyland got a second upgrade and even bigger reworking that has resulted in the stunning new show that debuted this summer.

Point being, WDW management knows full well that Disneyland management upgrades their Fantasmic! once per decade. But WDW management doesn't seem to care and is still offering the 1998 version of the show. So why would WDW management change now?

EricsBiscuit

Well for a while DL only had Fantasmic for nighttime to go with the fireworks. Keep in mind that park doesn't even show fireworks every night like at WDW, which means that they needed what they did have robbed kickass. DHS IMO has the best nighttime offerings of any park unless DL gets PTN after DCA or until 2021 when we might get a parade at MK. Between F, the fireworks, DMM and the Pixar show it's amazing.

Daveeeeed

Well for a while DL only had Fantasmic for nighttime to go with the fireworks. Keep in mind that park doesn't even show fireworks every night like at WDW, which means that they needed what they did have robbed kickass. DHS IMO has the best nighttime offerings of any park unless DL gets PTN after DCA or until 2021 when we might get a parade at MK. Between F, the fireworks, DMM and the Pixar show it's amazing.
I'd say DCA has the best line-up. World of Color IMO is the best show Disney has ever made.

jaxonp

I'd say DCA has the best line-up. World of Color IMO is the best show Disney has ever made.

WOC is amazing and doesn't get as much press as it should. People are obsessed with fireworks... ROL had the similar thing, although ROL pales in comparison to the wonderful WOC. I wish WDW would get their own version of WOC.. I'd be fine with them ripping out Fantasmic for a WOC type show.

TP2000

WOC is amazing and doesn't get as much press as it should. People are obsessed with fireworks... ROL had the similar thing, although ROL pales in comparison to the wonderful WOC. I wish WDW would get their own version of WOC.. I'd be fine with them ripping out Fantasmic for a WOC type show.

Agreed that WOC is one of the best night shows I've ever seen Disney do. But if you ripped out the DHS Fantasmic! for WOC, you'd lose Fantasmic!.

If Disneyland Resort can do both WOC and a radically upgraded Fantasmic! within just two compact parks 100 yards from each other, certainly WDW with four giant parks and the blessing of size could do both WOC and a much-needed upgraded Fantasmic! also. There's no good reason why WDW doesn't have twice the number of major entertainment spectaculars as Disneyland Resort does, instead of just barely keeping up.

Daveeeeed

Agreed that WOC is one of the best night shows I've ever seen Disney do. But if you ripped out the DHS Fantasmic! for WOC, you'd lose Fantasmic!.

If Disneyland Resort can do both WOC and a radically upgraded Fantasmic! within just two compact parks 100 yards from each other, certainly WDW with four giant parks and the blessing of size could do both WOC and a much-needed upgraded Fantasmic! also. There's no good reason why WDW doesn't have twice the number of major entertainment spectaculars as Disneyland Resort does, instead of just barely keeping up.
Yup. I would be sadder to see Fantasmic go than World of Color. Both are epic shows, but Fantasmic paved the way for shows like WoC & Disney Dreams over in Paris. Fantasmic though has some of the best original music ever created for themeparks and it would be worse to lose that show than Horizons etc.

I was in awe with World of Color like I have never been with a nighttime show. Perhaps it was having the absolute best spot in the house... along with the water towards the right of the yellow section, but firework shows as a whole should still be what people think of when they think of Disney. But I was honestly floored with what they did with WoC, and as a mega fan for Fantasmic, I still prefer WoC.
Not when Happily Ever After exists
That's a tremendous firework show. Perhaps the best one ever made! But for instance, I still prefer IROE to it for the score, setting, and especially the holiday extension. On a technical level, that does not make it the best or most enjoyable show for everyone, but in my personal opinion, I prefer it. I would still say HEA is the superior show, but again, if we're talking personal enjoyment I prefer IROE (or WoC). Ya know what I mean?

Anywhere, all nighttime shows at Disney suit their purpose well and all have their place. From the Osborne Lights to WoC, they all are marvelous in their own ways. What is indisputable though is how far Disney is ahead of everyone in this category.

Daveeeeed

Agree until the last part. Fantasmic is an incredible show, but TDO is being lazy as usual and not updating it. I think WoC should be unique to DCA, or a new version of the show debuts in EPCOT to go along with an updated IROE.

Robbiem

I think fantasmic could do with some love. It would be great to see an update.

It would also be good if they could design a show to play during the day it's a pity the amphitheater is only used at night - maybe something like the pirate show in shanghai could,play in the day and fantasmic at night

EricsBiscuit

The IROF replacement will have some more WOC elements. It already has a bunch of amazing fountain stuff that many miss because they see the show from too far away.

andre85

Oh hell nah. WoC was great...once. But after 2 or 3 times, the luster wore off and it feels like a blurry "best of Disney" on giant screens. It's impressive, but there's no overarching theme, story, or narrative. And that's not even to speak of the fact they ruined ruined it for a good year+ with that horribly-paced NPH version.

I also don't like that the show platform is visible more often than not during the day, and is a truly hideous thing to look at, taking away from the boardwalk's charming look

Last edited:

disney4life2008

While I am no insider, this is what I know:
1.) It is not possible for DHS getting World of Color. I am going by what different insiders on this site mentioned in the past. I believe that is caused by size it.
2.) It is not possible for Fantasmic being turned into a land or a new attraction that isn't a show before 2020. My reasoning is the amount of time to get a rid of the bleachers and the land area of the show.
3.) If DHS is getting a new show, it would be something original that isn't in any other Disney theme park.
4.) It would make sense for Disney to do upgrades to Fantasmic since they have the Star Wars Fireworks show.

Ummm didn't they remove the race track and replace with parking at mk in a matter of months?

wdwfan4ver

Ummm didn't they remove the race track and replace with parking at mk in a matter of months?
Yes, but I was referring to how long Disney demolish Fantasmic and replace with a ride or turn Fantasmic area into an indoor building. I was looking at it after the indoor building would be built or be turned into a ride.

It is my fault for not mentioning I was looking at process longer than demolishing. What I was going for is how long it Disney to demolish and complete Star Wars Galaxy. Disney is not done building it, but that is taking longer than a parking lot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom