Rumor: Disney World Indiana Jones Show Closing To Make Room For Star Wars

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly, and I don't understand why they don't have some sort of entertainment show about Marvel at DTD/DS, similar to how they do the la nouba

Using the characters in Disney Springs might be effected by Section IV.B.1.a.4 of the contract.

To the extent and in the territories that MCA has exclusive theme park rights, such shall not prohibit (except for the limitations described below) Marvel from itself developing or licensing its planned Retail concept which may include interactive elements as a major or minor element (presently intended to be called “The Marvel Action Universe” and referred to as such herein, but which may also be called “The Marvel Universe” or another name chosen by Marvel). The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes. The following restrictions shall apply to The Marvel Action Universe (or elements thereof whether owned or licensed by Marvel).

a.Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

i.The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

seascape

Using the characters in Disney Springs might be effected by Section IV.B.1.a.4 of the contract.

To the extent and in the territories that MCA has exclusive theme park rights, such shall not prohibit (except for the limitations described below) Marvel from itself developing or licensing its planned Retail concept which may include interactive elements as a major or minor element (presently intended to be called “The Marvel Action Universe” and referred to as such herein, but which may also be called “The Marvel Universe” or another name chosen by Marvel). The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes. The following restrictions shall apply to The Marvel Action Universe (or elements thereof whether owned or licensed by Marvel).

a.Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

i.The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE
I think the key sentence is, "The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes." Since a meet and greet would not include any virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes, there would not be a violation. However, you are correct that it would be up to the lawyers to figure out what it actually covers. I still think the two companies will work this out and that in the future Universal will decide it is no longer in their interest to keep the rights.

I would like to know your opinion on this, If there were a real fight over this who do you think would be hurt more if ESPN and all the Disney Channels were pulled off of Comcast? Disney or Comcast. People can always leave Comcast and go to DirecTV or Dish.

One more add on. The Marvel Charachters are being used in an Arena Show that is being shown in Orlando. They will be selling merchandise so obviously there are some issues here that are clearly permitted because there is not case on that issue and the arena is less than 60 miles from Universal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think the key sentence is, "The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes." Since a meet and greet would not include any virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes, there would not be a violation. However, you are correct that it would be up to the lawyers to figure out what it actually covers. I still think the two companies will work this out and that in the future Universal will decide it is no longer in their interest to keep the rights.

I would like to know your opinion on this, If there were a real fight over this who do you think would be hurt more if ESPN and all the Disney Channels were pulled off of Comcast? Disney or Comcast. People can always leave Comcast and go to DirecTV or Dish.

One more add on. The Marvel Charachters are being used in an Arena Show that is being shown in Orlando. They will be selling merchandise so obviously there are some issues here that are clearly permitted because there is not case on that issue and the arena is less than 60 miles from Universal.

The contract doesn't say must contain, it says may contain so I think this is still a grey area.

As for the Disney/Comcast question, not really sure, but the question is totally academic at this point since they signed a 10 year licensing agreement in 2012.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom