Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

DoTheImpossible

A Guardians re-skin has always made sense, but I'm far more interested in what's all but confirmed. Star Wars! A huge, huge, huge budget for everything! This is an exciting time after a drought at WDW. I'd also love an E-Ticket to round out the new Pixar Place (Monsters or Cars). Not long ago I would've seen that as asking for way too much. I happily now think it's within the realm of possibility.

jt04

A Guardians re-skin has always made sense, but I'm far more interested in what's all but confirmed. Star Wars! A huge, huge, huge budget for everything! This is an exciting time after a drought at WDW. I'd also love an E-Ticket to round out the new Pixar Place (Monsters or Cars). Not long ago I would've seen that as asking for way too much. I happily now think it's within the realm of possibility.

RSR clone would make sense without the mountain range which can be rendered virtually (indoors). Personally would rather have something completely unique though. Monsters, Incredibles, Nemo etc.

PREMiERdrum

I think Voyage of the Little Mermaid or Disney Junior is next on the chopping block...

With the recently completed (or still in progress?) reconfiguration and reconstruction of the Disney Junior Live entry and queue, I can't imagine it wouldn't be sticking around for at least a little while.

WDWLover#1

It seems to me that all the shows and exhibits are on the chopping block. ToT, RNRC, TSMM, ST, and TGMR are all safe. Everything else is up for debate v

Matt_Black

With the recently completed (or still in progress?) reconfiguration and reconstruction of the Disney Junior Live entry and queue, I can't imagine it wouldn't be sticking around for at least a little while.

Certainly, that's a spot you can stick some of the character meets that no longer have a home thanks to Animation's closing.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Could you enlighten me with the counter points instead of just discounting it then? I'm genuinely eager to know.

The updates to the park have been long-coming. TWDC did not acquire Star Wars as a property to compete against Potter in the theme park division of its company. DHS needs updates and it has nothing to do with Universal. If this was all coming out 4-6 years ago, you'd have a stronger argument. Potter has been open since 2010 and Disney's attendance has only been going up.

DisneyDad61

Another point that I just thought about, It seems that I recall a few WDI announcements made over the past 1 to 1 1/2 years. If I recall, Kathy Magnum (sp?) I believe was announced to be moving to WDW from DL / CA. If I recall, she was a HUGE part of WDI for the Calfornia Adventure makeover. It would not suprise me that there had not been other WDI interim tranfers as well. This seems to fall in place with Disney's recent histpry of their methodical step-by-step (slow) implementation process at the parks.
I guess what I am saying is that Iger and Co. learned alot from the CA makeover, the good and the bad. I really do see that there will be announcements made at D23. I believe the 1 1/2 hour time slot for WDW Parks and Resorts on Saturday afternoon will be a tremendous opportunity to really bring the anticipation of the new attractions likely coming to the Studios.
I believe it is easy to see (and by looking at the similarities of the Ca. Adv.) that steps are being taken to do this makeover and the WDI piece makes alot of sense from a long-term perspective. Just a comment here.......

Bocabear

I just can't see how this is trolling. I understand this is a WDW forum so naturally there will be defenders and those that dismiss anything that doesn't make Disney seem #1 as trolling but you'd have to be crazy to not see this. The Star Wars land will instantly get compared to WWOHP because Universal has created the new standard in the theme park immersion. What part of WDW is immersive as Diagon Alley? There's nothing trolling about that, it's just a fact.
NO, it's true you have a point. Theme park design is an evolving art...each advance no matter which company, advances us to new expectations... WWOHP created a new standard of immersive design...and Disney followed suit by adding more detail and immersion into Fantasyland. To think that any company never looks at what is going on in the world around them is naive...Of course Disney knows and has watched what Universal is doing and vice versa...not saying every decision they make is a reaction to it, but of course they inform the changing world around us.
I am hopeful that WDW does indeed become more immersive...and they are showing signs that they are learning from the industry just like everyone else....I am glad to see Queues getting redone (Peter Pan and Pooh) more immersive areas like new Fantasyland and Tangled Toilets...and I really think they are due in part to the changing expectations of the guests....which of course is enlightened by seeing new things...like WWOHP... It's all good...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Disney doesn't care what Universal does. Like, at all. They don't view it as competition because there are plenty of "fish" in the tourism "sea" that they don't need to fight with each other over scraps. Disney is both harmed and benefited when Universal brings in more guests. They're harmed because a Disney guest might become an "Orlando" guest and split their trip between WDW and USO. They're helped because Universal is bringing more people to the Orlando market in total, and Disney is able to sell to those new visitors. Rather than trying to measure countless variables to isolate those effects, they more or less ignore them so long as they're hitting their internal metrics. If they're targeting 4% attendance growth, for example, and they achieve 4% attendance growth, they don't get upset if Universal achieves 20% attendance growth and increases their market share. Those stories make for good fanboy bickering, but it's now how these companies are run.

I think Disney does care, in terms of learning from them. For example, if it is true that the DHS redo will result in immersive themed lands, I think it is the continuation a trend of Disney and Uni continually learning from each other in that regard. Disney started it with MK lands that had looser (Frontierland) or stronger (Tomorrowland) themes pulling the architecture and attractions together. Uni takes the next step in Islands of Adventure, with areas like Dr. Suess and Super Hero Island playing the themes even stronger. Disney does it even better at Tokyo DisneySea. Disney takes the next major step in Carsland, making the theming so strong that almost nothing intrudes, and taking theming into all elements of the experiences (food and drink, shopping, meet n greets, attractions, visual elements, lighting, sounds) so that you feel immersed in the fictional story. Uni goes even further in Diagon Alley. Each advance was successful, and so the two companies learned and kept going further. Disney now seems set (if what we hear is correct) to do something similar in terms of Star Wars and Pixar worlds, not to mention what's happening with Pandora at DAK.

So, I don't think Disney feels like they need to upgrade and update so Uni doesn't take business. But I do think that when Disney decides it's time to upgrade and update, they look at what worked for Uni (and others) and take that into account.

Evolution

NO, it's true you have a point. Theme park design is an evolving art...each advance no matter which company, advances us to new expectations... WWOHP created a new standard of immersive design...and Disney followed suit by adding more detail and immersion into Fantasyland. To think that any company never looks at what is going on in the world around them is naive...Of course Disney knows and has watched what Universal is doing and vice versa...not saying every decision they make is a reaction to it, but of course they inform the changing world around us.
I am hopeful that WDW does indeed become more immersive...and they are showing signs that they are learning from the industry just like everyone else....I am glad to see Queues getting redone (Peter Pan and Pooh) more immersive areas like new Fantasyland and Tangled Toilets...and I really think they are due in part to the changing expectations of the guests....which of course is enlightened by seeing new things...like WWOHP... It's all good...

I think Disney does care, in terms of learning from them. For example, if it is true that the DHS redo will result in immersive themed lands, I think it is the continuation a trend of Disney and Uni continually learning from each other in that regard. Disney started it with MK lands that had looser (Frontierland) or stronger (Tomorrowland) themes pulling the architecture and attractions together. Uni takes the next step in Islands of Adventure, with areas like Dr. Suess and Super Hero Island playing the themes even stronger. Disney does it even better at Tokyo DisneySea. Disney takes the next major step in Carsland, making the theming so strong that almost nothing intrudes, and taking theming into all elements of the experiences (food and drink, shopping, meet n greets, attractions, visual elements, lighting, sounds) so that you feel immersed in the fictional story. Uni goes even further in Diagon Alley. Each advance was successful, and so the two companies learned and kept going further. Disney now seems set (if what we hear is correct) to do something similar in terms of Star Wars and Pixar worlds, not to mention what's happening with Pandora at DAK.

So, I don't think Disney feels like they need to upgrade and update so Uni doesn't take business. But I do think that when Disney decides it's time to upgrade and update, they look at what worked for Uni (and others) and take that into account.

Thank you to @CaptainAmerica for at least actually responding, instead of dismissing someone just because they're new/have opposing views. I've scarcely come across a more unfriendly online community.

Anyways, while I understand what you're saying, I'm trying to make points in line with @Bocabear 's comments above. It's essentially what I was saying about Disney learning from Universal, whether it be my dining example or his queue example. Universal has set a very high bar in immersion, and I think we all hope DHS's Star Wars raises that bar.

ALSO, I can think of hardly anything more off-topic/irrelevant than someone's "post count". Unfamiliarity with wdwmagic.com doesn't translate into invalid opinions or points.

Great posts and it summarizes basically everything I was trying to say. It's nice to see that at least some people here can have a conversation without dismissing someone as a troll because they're not saying what's necessarily popular here on a WDW forum.

And like @AJO said, post count is extremely irrelevant.

RSoxNo1

The most overrated person ever to work at the WDC. Bar none.
A new challenger appears...
Photo_WDI_Bruce Vaughn_2014_01_21.jpg

psherman42

I did my first CP at ABC Commissary...anyone have any insight/opinions on Commissary Lane's future? I figure if this whole Star Wars thing happens, Backlot Express is the most obvious choice for a Star Wars themed restaurant, but Commissary Lane is kind of close as well..I feel like I can find a rumor about basically everything at DHS, with the exception of the major (only?) attractions at the park, except Commissary Lane..it's kind of that awkward middle area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom