Rumor: COP replacement

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
New rumor:

There's rumored plans to shutter COP once and for all sometime in 2009, and it's sister structure at DL (housing Innoventions) will also shutter. They will be replaced by the same new attraction.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Lets keep that one a rumor

Its not really a rumor. The guy who posted this information is Spirit of 74 and it has already been proven that he has some very good inside sources and other people that work for the company rarely deny what he says.

Anyway, the story goes that both Carousel buildings will be replaced with another video screen based pixar attraction this time its Wall-E and will use living charecter initiative screens like monsters inc. Better get that letter writing campaign going before WDI makes another big mistake with another video screen cartoon based attraction.

WeLComeHomE OKW

So, if this is true, who is willing to come with me to Burbank and protest?

I think that the Carousel of Progress is more important then any other tribute to Walt Disney at any of the Disney Theme Parks. Americans need this show to help them understand where they came from, and to give kids some perspective. If they gave this kind of ride the treatment it deserves, it would get a beautiful refurbishment.

Instead, they are thinking of what ways they can get more kids and pre-teens into their park. Even when I was a kid/pre-teen i enjoyed this show. Its funny/smart, and there is nothing like it on the whole Disney Property.

Now, unless Disney is planning on moving this attraction to EPCOT, i will go protest. I figured this would happen some day, but with all the recent acceleration in rumors, it looks like its happening sooner rather then later.

This new ride better be the best damn thing since sliced bread.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Its not really a rumor. The guy who posted this information is Spirit of 74 and it has already been proven that he has some very good inside sources and other people that work for the company rarely deny what he says.

Anyway, the story goes that both Carousel buildings will be replaced with another video screen based pixar attraction this time its Wall-E and will use living charecter initiative screens like monsters inc. Better get that letter writing campaign going before WDI makes another big mistake with another video screen cartoon based attraction.

more screen based rides?!?!

what is the point of me leaving my home? i will just watch it from here, and it will have the same effect. Audio Animatronics can be so advanced these days, i dont really understand why they don't use them. I personally love AA's MUCH more then any screen. Also, why does every ride at Disney World have to be a licsenced character? There should be more original content. The most succesful rides at Disney World have been based off original content.

I think someone needs to go wake up Bob Iger and John Lasseter and remind them what Disney World/Disneyland is all about.

Last time I checked, it wasn't just a 'marketing tool'.

DisneyAnole

This is just pathetic, if it's true. Do we need ANOTHER "living character" attraction at WDW? Much less 2 in Tomorrowland?

And I was under the impression that Wall-E doesn't talk, and that there weren't going to be many speaking parts in the movie, so this is a strange rumor.

GrimGrinninAnna

New rumor:

There's rumored plans to shutter COP once and for all sometime in 2009, and it's sister structure at DL (housing Innoventions) will also shutter. They will be replaced by the same new attraction.

This actually makes me feel sick to my stomach. Like loosing a family member. To me, the way SSE is going, and COP leaving... the spirit is gone. Might as well go to Six Flags.

ssidiouss@mac.c

I usually go to disney world once a year.. but if they continue to go away from real attractions and focus on video screens.. i will definitely be able to skip a few years between vacations.

grandmath

If true, this is VERY sad.

First: getting rid of COP: mistake!

Second: for another video-screen based attraction ??? Did they get out of their mind? As I am counting the days til my next WDW vacation, I'm already excited by the "new" rides I'll discover this time. And guess what? I'm always skipping Laugh Floor Comedy Club from that list.

If that happen, I'll for sure be very upset. I'm already grandly disappointed by the new ending of Spaceship Earth..... :mad:

DisneyMusician2

Are they simply out of ideas, or is this being pushed from somewhere higher in the corporation? To pull a real experience out to put in more video screens is not a good plan!!

I don't mind the Pixar, they are popular Disney movies, just like the ones that Walt started his park with and commercialized. But MORE interactive video screens...:brick:

Shaman

I love CoP, and would hate to see it go...but, when I think about it, I find that I skip CoP when I'm at MK...a lot! Maybe its because I'm in hurry...trying to make it from one end of the park to the other...or what not...but it seems to me that if CoP had the proper attendance figures (when open), it wouldn't find itself in this predicament. Sadly, it has been dying a slow death for a while, maybe in part because Disney has refused to give the format a chance in recent years...who knows maybe the replacement will breathe new life into Tomorrowland. For all those people who complain about video screens...the kids seem to enjoy these attractions...which make parents happy. :shrug:

So will this happen pre-Space Mountain refurb...or after?

bears163

i just hope it is stich. in the movie they can have him break out of his GREAT escape & breaking through the roof of the old COP. who needs one of a kind ride anyway. stich rules

brkgnews

I've seen carousel rumors come and go before, so I'm not TOO concerned. However, I also saw about 400 versions of the "El Rio is getting the Three Cabs" rumor come and go too, and it finally happened.

As far as the (alleged) attraction proposal itself... completely removing the obvious emotional attachment to CoP, is this REALLY a wise use of the space? Maybe in DL, but in Florida there's another LCI, screen based attraction withing spitting distance. Don't get me wrong -- I'm all about the LCI, but the thing is if they just get complacent with animating stuff on screen, it gets old quickly. I'm excited to see how the Mr Potato Head LCI animatronic works. I would MUCH rather see the LCI be integrated with Animatronics (Lucky, Muppet Mobile, Potato Head) than animation (though admittedly it was the ONLY way to go with Crush, and works well there).

Questions to answer, should this rumor come to fruition...
- Will they scrap the roatating seat aspect? If so, that removes a unique ride system found only at CoP's. If the ride system is removed, they will have to figure out a way to eat people, because CoP's current ride system is pretty darned efficient at moving tons of people quickly, giving them a long attraction with minimal wait.
- If they kept the rotation, would they either shorten the length of each scene, or maybe knock out walls between sets to half the number of scenes (while making them much wider?) I can't neccessarily see them keeping the attraction as long as it is, given the current trend toward quicker attractions.
- If whatever the new thing is turns out to be a blockbuster, where the heck will they put the people? There's not MUCH room there for an expanded queue, unless they took over a nearby facility.

Animaniac93-98

I normally don't trust CoP rumours but since Merf posted it, there may be soem thruth to this. IF they do go through with this, I guess it means it was cheaper to start from scratch then update the theater. I don't think the could make the scenes shorter, unless they tell everyone to race to the door before it closes again.

It's one thing to build another LCI attraction. But to clone it? THAT shows a lack of creativity.

brkgnews

I suppose they could start using both sets of doors to load. There are stanchions in the middle of the theatre that appear to have been used in the past to load two sets of guests at once (into the same theatre).

Then again, they could keep the scene lengths the same and just have less scenes by knocking out walls (depending on which walls are load-bearing).

The question is... what would they put on six different LCI screens? (Or even three for that matter)?

sweetpee_1993

Now, unless Disney is planning on moving this attraction to EPCOT, i will go protest. I figured this would happen some day, but with all the recent acceleration in rumors, it looks like its happening sooner rather then later.

Something to go in the old WoL pavilion??? There's a semi-empty unused spot. J/K. It wouldn't fit the theme of Future World at all. I know. :D

Seriously, I have always loved this attraction. It's classic. It's interesting. Even my kids like it and are inspired to ask 101 questions about the past when we walk out. Imagine explaining life before remote controls, cell phones, and microwaves. **sigh** I'd hate to see it go. I'm never one to fuss too much about progress and the like because I feel progress and change is what Walt always intended. However, I'd be sick if CoP was replaced by another Pixar attraction. Tomorrowland already has 2 side by side. A 3rd is totally not needed. Leave the cartoons in Fantasyland and Toon Town. Let's have some taste of tomorrow in Tomorrowland again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom