Rumor: Adventureland Volcano

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, getting back to the rumor of an Adventureland Volcano:

1. It was once a possible attraction a long time ago.
2. Jim Hill revived this as a possibility claiming height-test balloons no one has ever said they've personally seen and linking it to the very separate Moana rumors circulating the Tiki Bird rumors.
3. Online blogs have been talking excitedly about rumors of a Volcano attraction in Adventureland... they're all quoting Jim Hill.
4. Our insiders say no. Spirit says nope. @MansionButler84 says no. @marni1971 says no new builds in Adventureland for at least 5 years.

I would characterize this rumor as: very very not likely. And remember, this is apart from anything happening with Moana and the Tiki Birds, for which there seems to be somewhat likely to not likely rumors.

Last edited:

CosmicPrincess

Even if the rumors are just that, it's still exciting to imagine the possibilities of this attraction! I would love a new ride in AL and adding another mountain to the park would be awesome! I personally don't think it even needs a Moana or Disney movie tie in. It would be super cool to have an all new original ride, just based off of Hawaiian folklore or the like.

Then turn the tiki room into a restaurant, add in a Moana meet and greet and maybe ones for Lilo and Stitch as well. It would be perfect!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What do you mean by "Attention Grabbers", Has the refresh been cancelled? That would be a shame because it is literally the only thing in WDW's Future that I was looking forward to.
Something big enough to shift the crowd patterns like when Splash or BTM opened.

Creathir

I think @creathir misunderstood @marni1971 .
Was more of a joke than anything.

Shifting of crowd patterns could be one of two things:

A sudden increase due to demand in TL, or a suddden vacuum due to demand in other parts of the park.

We've heard rumors of Tom Sawyer Island going away in the past, perhaps this is what @marni1971 is referring to?

If that is gine while something else is built, crowd levels naturally would be higher in the rest of the park.

But I doubt this is the case. More than likely we're talking about the speedway going away, if not for Tron, then something else.

Something else I've always personally thought was a huge waste of prime real estate was the CM parking behind MS USA and Tomorrowland.

I don't know if it was ever considered to be "expansion pad" but I know I certainly would consider it that if I was management. The CMs are bused in anyways. Why is this parking lot even needed...?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
plans change all the time at Disney. That's why rumors about things happening here and everywhere aren't always something that truly happens...but may have been discussed considered or even drawn up

No Name

I kind of like this idea. Not that I think it's anything more than a screamscape rumor.

That would be like saying uni desperately copied the volcano in Disney Springs.

Eh... it's not the same. First of all, Rainforest Cafe at Disney Springs has been there for over 20 years. Second, it's just one focal point, among many others like the Empress Lilly, the balloon, etc. It isn't centerpiece and focal point of a new, very visible park. VB has the first volcano in Orlando to attract major media attention, and so Disney turning around and building their own would surely draw criticisms of stealing an idea.

I'm not saying that the criticisms would be justified, just that there's reasons they'd be made.

The Nanea Volcano pool at the Polynesian is probably a better comparison than the Rainforest Cafe. But it reopened as the Lava pool in 2015, and hardly resembles a volcano anymore. Why did they make that change, I don't know, but perhaps Disney was afraid of future comparisons. Again, I think comparisons like that are stupid, but they'd be made.

seascape

I kind of like this idea. Not that I think it's anything more than a screamscape rumor.

Eh... it's not the same. First of all, Rainforest Cafe at Disney Springs has been there for over 20 years. Second, it's just one focal point, among many others like the Empress Lilly, the balloon, etc. It isn't centerpiece and focal point of a new, very visible park. VB has the first volcano in Orlando to attract major media attention, and so Disney turning around and building their own would surely draw criticisms of stealing an idea.

I'm not saying that the criticisms would be justified, just that there's reasons they'd be made.

The Nanea Volcano pool at the Polynesian is probably a better comparison than the Rainforest Cafe. But it reopened as the Lava pool in 2015, and hardly resembles a volcano anymore. Why did they make that change, I don't know, but perhaps Disney was afraid of future comparisons. Again, I think comparisons like that are stupid, but they'd be made.
I guess the volcano pool at the poly doesn't count because it was the first thing I thought of when Universal announced VB.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That is both interesting and disappointing at the same time. I remember @MansionButler84 at one time made a comment that the TL refurb was in good hands and that many people would be happy with it, including a new ride or two. It seems that this is changing now? If so, that is a shame.
No, there will be new attractions. I just don't expect something on the scale of the TRON coaster to happen.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Something big enough to shift the crowd patterns like when Splash or BTM opened.

BTMRR opened in MK mid/November 1980. My birth date is 11/20something (precise date redacted for security reasons as per my agreement with Mr. Magics since he doesn't want everyone to know my true celebrity status)/1969. We made the short drive from Temple Terrace to WDW for my birthday in 1980 maybe 10-14 days after opening. First time I was at WDW when something that big had very recently opened. It ran fine the whole day and I got two rides. I remember there was this big, burly dude who kept saying, "This thing was breaking down all day yesterday! Don't ride its dangerous!" the whole time we were in line. Sorry for the trip down memory lane. Also, it shifted crowd patterns immediately, which was the memory trigger. Thus, this thread drift is ultimately your fault.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
OK, Martin, I'll put you down for: "Something will open in the MK within 10 years."

That's a pretty gutsy call.

;)

Something will open in the MK in a decade?! In a frickin DECADE?!?!?!

Oops. Let me clarify. Something new that's an E / E+ should open in the MK before the mid 2020s. I wouldn't be surprised if it were something on the scale of Splash for example.

Other things will open before that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom