Ruined...POTC

cloudboy

There should be no question as to whether POTC has longer lines now than prior to the changes

I disagree. While I think there has been a bit of an increase, due mainly to the cross-merchandising effects of the movie, I don't think that it is correct to claim the ride was dying or desparate for an update as justification of the changes. People didn't dislike it the way it was before.

I think it has nothing to do with it changing - I think it has everything to do with changing the ride itself. Yeah, right now Jack is popular and wants to have a "Where's Jack Sparrow?" ride. But why through away something that was unique and not just another copy of any other theme park ride to capitalize on a few years of a popular movie?

PurpleDragon

Okay I hevent ridden the new verison as of yet, but I've heard reports of 30+ minute waits for PoTC, and in my 25+ years of visiting WDW, PoTC has never had waits that long except on really hot days or when it was raining. Most of the time the attraction was a max of a 10 minute wait or a walk on.

Yes the popularity of the movie did increase the volume of riders on the attraction, but the amount of people riding PoTC in comparison to some of the other attractions in the park was still laughable. Besides that there were countless complaints about the lack of characters from the movie in the attraction. The ride was lacking the pull to bring people in, they made changes to increase popularity of the ride as well as improve some of the dated effects. Any way you look at it the changes were 100% justified and they got the results they were looking for. Would you rather they let the ride fade into oblivion and then close it due to lack of popularity? Because a few hundred Disney "Purists" aren't enough to justify keeping a ride open. The closing of Mr. Toad Wild Ride is proof of that.

head mouse

I don't see how you can say that more people like it just due to the lines or admission. IT'S NEW and curiously will alway make lines longer and admission higher. Then once everyone sees the changes, then determining how many people RETURN will decide if it's a good change or not.

sknydave

I disagree. While I think there has been a bit of an increase, due mainly to the cross-merchandising effects of the movie, I don't think that it is correct to claim the ride was dying or desparate for an update as justification of the changes. People didn't dislike it the way it was before.

I think it has nothing to do with it changing - I think it has everything to do with changing the ride itself. Yeah, right now Jack is popular and wants to have a "Where's Jack Sparrow?" ride. But why through away something that was unique and not just another copy of any other theme park ride to capitalize on a few years of a popular movie?

People should dislike an attraction for any updates to be made?

sknydave

Okay I hevent ridden the new verison as of yet, but I've heard reports of 30+ minute waits for PoTC, and in my 25+ years of visiting WDW, PoTC has never had waits that long except on really hot days or when it was raining. Most of the time the attraction was a max of a 10 minute wait or a walk on.

I've seen it reach 60+ on busy days. (post updates)

C&D

Again, people using the wrong words. Dwindled is incorrect, reduced is the more correct term. Yes, the lines were somewhat reduced, and as far as changing the ride, you can hardly say that much was changed, more like that much was added. (as has been mentioned earlier; the ride has been plussed)

If people had never seen the movies, and didn't know who Captain Jack Sparrow was, they would view the ride and consider the added figures as just other pirates and not even know they were added from the original rendition. (okay maybe someone real sharp might say, I wonder why that same pirate is in different scenes)

I could see some of the criticisms, had the additions been done poorly, but come on, the sound has been enhanced and the added features are top notch.

Marley's Ghost

Original Poster
Refurb

Didn't they refurb Imagination and then the purist complained and "made" Disney refurb the refurb. Wasn't the end redone to reinclude "the song"?

head mouse

People should dislike an attraction for any updates to be made?

Not what was being said. More like there was no reason to change the ride to begin with. It was not hated in its original state.

But then a few thousand people that have prob never been to Disney in their life go see a movie and say "Wow thats cool" then they go online and find there is a ride at Disney called PotC. Yet they don't realize that the ride was first. So they go on the ride and are confused as to "Why they have the dog with the keys, but no Jack, or Barbosa, ect. So now Disney has to either explain to millions of people that the ride was first, or simply change the ride to incorporate the new characters. One makes money, the other don't. Simple.

PurpleDragon

Didn't they refurb Imagination and then the purist complained and "made" Disney refurb the refurb. Wasn't the end redone to reinclude "the song"?

LMAO!! Nope, they remade the attraction because the original was so incredibly boring that Eisner made them change it. I could be wrong but that was the story I remember.

For the most part Disney doesn't care what the purists think, after all it IS a business, they do what they must to keep visitors coming to the parks and the turnstiles turning on each attraction.

imagineer boy

I don't see why people should complain about the new changes. Its not like they completely overhauled the ride. There were some early concepts of the ride that had some scenes completely redone to include Will Turner fighting cursed skeleton pirates like in the movies. When you think about it, all they did was add the Davy Jones projection, 3 Jack Sparrow animatronics, and Barbossa. That' it really. I was also a little worried about what the changes would be like, but from what I've seen in the videos ( still have yet to experience it myself ) I must say I'm impressed. Its kinda like they put nods to the movies similar to how the movies put nods to the ride. I think they did a good job.

As for the whole movies losing their timelessness thing, I highly doubt they will ever lose their timelessnes. They're destined to be classics. And like someone else said, Jack Sparrow has become a classic Disney character like Mary Poppins.

erasure fan1

Some Changes are good to rides at the park others aren't. But the truth is it is an amuzement park, not a museum.

Good point. This is a fantastic update and the beauty is if Jack doesnt stay popular (and I doubt he wont) they can always change the clothes, hair... on two of the jack figures and now they are just pirates again, and most people wont have a clue. But lets face it, most kids have no clue POTC was a ride first then movie. So kids expect to see Jack, and why not he's awsome. I think this is something they had to do, and they hit a homerun in my book. I think the update keeps the spirit of the ride while making it fresh and exciting imho.

cloudboy

I don't see why people should complain about the new changes. Its not like they completely overhauled the ride. There were some early concepts of the ride that had some scenes completely redone to include Will Turner fighting cursed skeleton pirates like in the movies. When you think about it, all they did was add the Davy Jones projection, 3 Jack Sparrow animatronics, and Barbossa. That' it really. I was also a little worried about what the changes would be like, but from what I've seen in the videos ( still have yet to experience it myself ) I must say I'm impressed. Its kinda like they put nods to the movies similar to how the movies put nods to the ride. I think they did a good job.

As for the whole movies losing their timelessness thing, I highly doubt they will ever lose their timelessnes. They're destined to be classics. And like someone else said, Jack Sparrow has become a classic Disney character like Mary Poppins.

Are you sure you people went on this more than 5 years ago? I remember standing in line a good hour plus for Pirates.

Of course, then again, Pirates WAS a different ride. While today it is the story of Jack Sparrow, it USED to be a frolicking journey through a swashbuckling raid of a coastal town. You didn't HAVE to have a story line to make sense of it - you could be whatever you wanted in it. You could be a pirate, you could be an escape from the ship they raided, you could be slipping out past the pirtes in escape from the town. But it as also fun and had a rhythm to it and any time you were on a boat the first thing you started doing was singing yo-ho yo ho!

I guess not, eh?

Well, let me tell you, Disney used to be a fun place where people would spend YEARS planning a trip to!

imagineer boy

Are you sure you people went on this more than 5 years ago? I remember standing in line a good hour plus for Pirates.

Of course, then again, Pirates WAS a different ride. While today it is the story of Jack Sparrow, it USED to be a frolicking journey through a swashbuckling raid of a coastal town. You didn't HAVE to have a story line to make sense of it - you could be whatever you wanted in it. You could be a pirate, you could be an escape from the ship they raided, you could be slipping out past the pirtes in escape from the town. But it as also fun and had a rhythm to it and any time you were on a boat the first thing you started doing was singing yo-ho yo ho!

I guess not, eh?

Um, its still the same thing as you mentioned. Just with Jack Sparrow thrown in. And what is this new story line you're reffering to? They didn't add in a new story line. Its the same ride with the same story just with Jack Sparrow.

goofyfan13

Well, my family used to take trips 2-3 times a year, and I was a big fan of PotC since I was about 5. Sure enough, I never remember waiting in line for the ride unless it was during the Christmas/NYE season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom