Roy & Stanley to sue Disney

mickhyperion

Thrawn said:
I don't care who you talk to, the point of my post was that you had no idea what you were posting about...
You, sir, are consistently the rudest person I have ever encountered on these boards and I would appreciate you never addressing me directly in a public forum ever again. Don't waste your time because I have put you on my Ignore List. Thank you.

miles1

Thrawn said:
Again, I need to say "read Disneywar". Basically Eisner made all the hard, tough choices, and Wells was the one who got everyone to support Eisner's decision. They worked very well that way. Frank Wells really didn't make any decisions himself, just helped the decisions get made.

This is not the impression I got from reading the book at all. Frank Wells functioned as a "check and balance" to Eisner. Wells was the one that kept Eisner from going too far over the top, or making unilateral decisions. Once Wells was gone, Eisner was free to make whatever decisions he wanted to without much interference, even apparently, from the board. Those that did voice a contrary opinion were systematically ousted, like Roy.

This is not to say that all of Eisner's decisions were wrong. He was a strong leader, saved the company in the early days when Wells was around, and through the middle years expanded it to what it is today.

I fully realize that the book is colored by the author's opinions, but from the book I was left the opinion that Eisner has developed some serious emotional problems, including paranoia. There is something incongruous about a man that runs an "entertainment" company and only takes two weeks vacation in 15 years. Was he afraid of loosing control if he was absent? Was his opinion of himself so high that he honestly felt everything would fall apart in his absence?

Anyway, my opinion on the topic at hand (which I feel everyone is entitled to!) is that Iger must be given a chance. He still has to tread somewhat lightly since Eisner is still around for a little while, and I'm sure he's learned that Eisner is capable of just about anything. Time will tell.

At the same time, I think Roy and Stan are justified in their suit. They are corporate shareholders, and the management and board are obviously not being forthright with the information regarding the recruiting process. If it was done on the up and up, they have nothing to fear and should release whatever documents the shareholders (not just Roy and Stan) request.

I will go put on my cup for your responses.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
speck76 said:
I think his "Bring back the spirit of Walt" crap is just that, crap.....nothing more than a red herring....

Fair enough, same question I asked Grizz then: Who would you like to see run TWDC?

Eisner
Iger
Roy
Someone else?

speck76

mickhyperion said:
You, sir, are consistently the rudest person I have ever encountered on these boards and I would appreciate you never addressing me directly in a public forum ever again. Don't waste your time because I have put you on my Ignore List. Thank you.

a PM would have been more appropriate

Thrawn

Account Suspended
mickhyperion said:

YAY! Because I shot down your "theories"? Good. Ignore me. I've even got the link for it in my signature to make it nice and convienent for you.

For anyone interested, here's the post that started it:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1031305&postcount=69

Thrawn

Account Suspended
miles1 said:
This is not the impression I got from reading the book at all. Frank Wells functioned as a "check and balance" to Eisner. Wells was the one that kept Eisner from going too far over the top, or making unilateral decisions. Once Wells was gone, Eisner was free to make whatever decisions he wanted to without much interference, even apparently, from the board. Those that did voice a contrary opinion were systematically ousted, like Roy.
Yes, he was. And he did this by bringing people over to Eisner's side, more often than not. Best example I can give of this are the WDW resorts. At the beginning, no one wanted them but Eisner. By the end, I believe it was 2? dissenters on the whole board.

This is not to say that all of Eisner's decisions were wrong. He was a strong leader, saved the company in the early days when Wells was around, and through the middle years expanded it to what it is today.

He did approve a few bad ideas, that much is true. However, he also created most of the Disney Empire as we know it today.

I fully realize that the book is colored by the author's opinions, but from the book I was left the opinion that Eisner has developed some serious emotional problems, including paranoia. There is something incongruous about a man that runs an "entertainment" company and only takes two weeks vacation in 15 years. Was he afraid of loosing control if he was absent? Was his opinion of himself so high that he honestly felt everything would fall apart in his absence?

My father runs his own business, has been doing so for years, and has probably taken off 4 weeks in 15 years. Its not that he doesn't trust the people that work for him, but sometimes you just feel like you are in the position you are for a reason. However, remember that for Eisner, going to WDW or DLP or the DLR is not a "vacation" per say, but can be treated as such by him.

Anyway, my opinion on the topic at hand (which I feel everyone is entitled to!) is that Iger must be given a chance. He still has to tread somewhat lightly since Eisner is still around for a little while, and I'm sure he's learned that Eisner is capable of just about anything. Time will tell.

Agreed. Give him a chance, lets see how he does. But thinking its goingto be a full 180 from Eisner is way off base.

At the same time, I think Roy and Stan are justified in their suit. They are corporate shareholders, and the management and board are obviously not being forthright with the information regarding the recruiting process. If it was done on the up and up, they have nothing to fear and should release whatever documents the shareholders (not just Roy and Stan) request.

I will go put on my cup for your responses.

As shareholders, it is their right to do so. Do they have other motives? Probably, but if the board says "we are going to do this" and they don't, then that is a violation of SEC rules in a public company. Do I want them to kick Iger out because of this? No, it isn't his fault. However, maybe a board shakeup is in order.

Woody13

speck76 said:
A disciplined search for companies with deep value
Which translates to finding a company and then use their media empire to drive down the stock value and then move in and take that company over. Then strip out all the valuable assets and sell it off. They've done this routine repeatedly. Shamrock Holdings specializes in hostile takeovers. They are very good.

miles1

My father runs his own business, has been doing so for years, and has probably taken off 4 weeks in 15 years. Its not that he doesn't trust the people that work for him, but sometimes you just feel like you are in the position you are for a reason. However, remember that for Eisner, going to WDW or DLP or the DLR is not a "vacation" per say, but can be treated as such by him.

The hazard of doing this is burnout. It may have been different for your dad, but after running my own business for 3 years with little time off, it really affected my outlook on life. I was burnt, crabby to my family, and lacked the ability to accept other's suggestions or opinions on how to do things. I was always worried about what wasn't getting done, or who was goofing things up when I wasn't around. The irony here is that Eisner is running a company that specializes in imaginative ways to entertain people, but takes no leasure time for himself. How can he stay in touch with what new things entertain people when he takes no time away from work himself?

As shareholders, it is their right to do so. Do they have other motives? Probably, but if the board says "we are going to do this" and they don't, then that is a violation of SEC rules in a public company. Do I want them to kick Iger out because of this? No, it isn't his fault. However, maybe a board shakeup is in order.

Very well said.

speck76

miles1 said:
The irony here is that Eisner is running a company that specializes in imaginative ways to entertain people, but takes no leasure time for himself. How can he stay in touch with what new things entertain people when he takes no time away from work himself?

I work in the hotel industry, but I hate staying in hotels......

Ron Toomer designed rollercoasters for years, but never rode one (ok, bad example, most Arrow coasters suck)

:)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
askmike1 said:
I wonder why.:rolleyes: Would you thank the person who fired you? I don't think so. As for Roy, one can say that he was initially good but the last 10 years he has slipped. Where was he during Treasure Planet(-142)...Atlantis(-71)...Fantasia 2000(-45)? The numbers in parenteses is the amount in millions the film lost. I'm not saying these films are bad (I like all of these), but where was Roy?

Greenlighting all that garbage (& huge losses). :lol: :wave:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
speck76 said:
unfortunately, most who support Roy do not know business at all.....they think with their hearts, and they are blinded by truth....

It is sad.

*sigh*

I agree... words taken out of my mouth.. once again.

Dont get me wong.. I am a huge Disney/WDW Fan... but its a Biz... not all magic and pixie dust. :wave:

CaptainMichael

Originally, I was a supporter of Roy and Stan. Then I realised that they weren't fighting for the cause I believe in. They have mislead many Disney faithfull and are nothing but crooks.

General Grizz

The "entire statement" from the Walt Disney Company:

"The record of strong performance of The Walt Disney Company speaks for itself, and this frivolous and baseless lawsuit reflects the mean-spirited, self-serving interest of two ex-board members."

Rainy days and Mon-er-Tuesdays always get me down. . . :lookaroun :p

Shaman

Haven't read every single post in here, excuse my laziness, I'm just not in the mood to hear Disney v Eisner babble...

Anyhow, I don't know if anyone has brought up this point, but could this be a move by Gold and Disney to somehow get themselves back on the board?

KevinPage

Yowza, seems like this is a Democrat .vs Republican discussion, completely IDEOLOGICAL, you either love or hate one side or the other.

Like most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in between the 2.

While I support the efforts of Save Disney and what they have done to cause change in the company so far, their timing of this lawsuit was bad, even though it does seem to have alot of merit.

But I still think Roy needs to keep the pressure on TWDC. Granted, things are looking rosey and peachy right now, but the jury is still out on Iger. Iger seems to be headed in the right direction, but who knows what Iger is capable of more than Roy? He's not stupid and there is cause for concern, until proven otherwise. James Stewart of DisneyWar didn't have anything nice to say about Iger (from all reports, I have not read the book).

Not that I really know anything, but my gut impression is that Iger played nice to Uncle Mikey, even acting as his stooge, until he got his shot to run the company. Seems Iger really wanted this and knew how to play the game while all the others who threatened or caused friction with Eisner were sent out to pasture. Now he can make his own mark on the company.

So far so good with Iger, but how do we not know this is all merely done to calm people's questions about the company and then things go back to "business as usual" after time? Having vocal groups like Save Disney on your rear keeps you "sharp" and on top of your game.

Again, I can't say I 100% support every little thing Save Disney does, but I think they are necessary. I equate it to aiming to get an A+ in school. If you aim high, you might get an A or maybe a B+. But if you only aim for a B, you'll probably end of with a C. So by shooting high, you'll get more than shooting for average.

Do you think TWDC or the media is going to listen to Roy is he said, "they are alot of good things about the company, let's just change a few of these bad points". Unfortunately the way the world works, you have to be completely one sided to enact any type of change, no one listens to people who sit on the fence.

The fact is Eisner did save the company and he should be commended for that, but like anyone who stays in power too long, they wear out their welcome, lose their drive, and become more power hungry (this goes for world leaders as well). Eisner is not the first this has happened to and won't be the last. But most CEO's don't stay around for 20 years. Clearly TWDC should take this into account when hiring future CEO's.

Obviously Roy is emotional about this and I'm sure bitterness plays a part in this. He's human, everyone does things partly based on emotion. Whether that is the overiding factor or not is the real question (I don't believe that to be the case). To survive in the corporate world you have to have an EGO, otherwise you'd be gone in 2 seconds. And it doesn't necessarily mean that is a bad thing. Do you think Eisner would have been able to save the company if he didn't have a huge ego?

If Roy wasn't upset but still did this, does that make a difference to you ?

Passion is a good thing, especially when it comes to a company that people love like Disney. No one gets all teary eyed over a company who produces sneakers or carbonated soda.

:D :D :D

wannab@dis

KevinPage said:
Yowza, seems like this is a Democrat .vs Republican discussion, completely IDEOLOGICAL, you either love or hate one side or the other.

Like most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in between the 2.

:D :D :D

Not me... I could care less about either side. As far as I'm concerned, Roy and Stan are just as bad for Disney as the current board of directors.

The current board is not right for Disney's future. They need to have a new vision infused with business savvy, but at the same time, understand the creativity and history of an very unlikely and sucessful business. Disney didn't start as a perfect Business Plan and I don't believe the full potential will be attained if it's only looked at as a business. A business plan cannot take into account the magic seen by Disney enthusiests or the sparkle in a kid's eye. That sparkle can turn into a life long love of all things Disney and it should be nurtured.

Now, having said all that, it does come back to a question of 'How best to run the business of Disney?'. Iger may be the right person for that job, but a real search never happened. I believe this is where all shareholders should take a close look at the current board. For all they try to say, they have not had true corporate governance nor independant directors.

Shaman

Best way to run Disney?

Well they say two heads are better than one (it seems when they have strayed from this the company stuggles a bit, of course who holds these positions affects the product)...

Eisner/ Wells
Roy/ Walt

So....

Iger and ?

(I still think this is a move by Roy and Gold to get back on the board, via some kind of deal or something so they drop the suit. Don't know if thats possible, since I'm not familiar with their relationship with those on the board, etc.)

:lookaroun

DisneyFan 2000

Wow am I shocked. Some of you have such biased opinions towards Roy / Eisner that you won't even listen to what's going around you. This isn't Roy against Eisner, this is a shareholder against management not doing its job as it should. Nothing more, nothing less. How this has turned into a "Roy is a bitter oldy and Eisner is a greedy pig" debate is beyond me. :rolleyes:

* Notice I have not said a single thing pro Roy. Please do not attempt to hunt me down as a Roy supporter. Thank you, have a nice day. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom