Roy & Stanley to sue Disney

tazhughes

I have long viewed Roy Disney as Fredo Corleone, a guy that is just upset that he was not teh one who got to save the family and so turns against them. Nothing Roy has done has helped the company, in fact it has at times made it more vulnerable to the vultures of the corporate world.

As far as the Board goes, i am all for a shake up. I'm of the opinion that no one should be on a board for more than 5-10 years. If they are they become set in their wyas and reluctant to change and that is never good for a company.

If I had any say, say perhaps I was CEO for the day, I would sign long term partnerships with Lucas and Pixar and offer as part of that partnership a seat on the board for George and Steve. That would create a fresh infusion of creative (outside the box) thinking into this company and strengthen those alliances.

Just my humble opinions though.

wannab@dis

Two people running the company is a great idea. It's just that the pair have to be good together and sometimes great leaders have a problem sharing power. It would be a tough search to find the right pair to do the job.

As to your other point... my question is WHY? Why would Roy and Stan want to be on the board? I don't believe they would make much money on the board and I don't think it's a huge feather in their cap to say they sit on the board. I really don't know their motives, but I am leary and a little suspicious.

But, no matter the motives, what they are doing now should have been done long ago to break up the current board. It should have been done when several of the board members got the low support in the shareholder's meeting a year ago, but everyone wanted to give them another chance. The CEO search should be and now appears to be the last straw.

I really don't think changing the board of directors will negatively affect the company in the long run. It may cause small ripples in the near future, but over the long term, it will be seen as a positive move and will help ensure the continued recovery that the economy (not corporate decisions) has brought about.

JBSLJames

Now, I don't claim to by a business man, but could this move possibly impact the stock value, driving it down, and positioning the company for another take over bid?

MouseMadness

DisneyFan 2000 said:
How this has turned into a "Roy is a bitter oldy and Eisner is a greedy pig" debate is beyond me. :rolleyes:

It always does. *yawwwwwwwwwwn* :lol:

Interesting stuff. I haven't a CLUE about business, and will be the first to admit it. I am enjoying reading all the opinions, thoughts, and that rare, occasional fact, though. :animwink:

askmike1

DisneyFan 2000 said:
This isn't Roy against Eisner, this is a shareholder against management not doing its job as it should.
This suit wasn't from a collaberation of shareholders, this suit is from Roy and Stan. I am a shareholder and do not believe in this suit, so I don't think it's right for Roy to say this is Shareholders vs. Disney Board.

-Michael

wannab@dis

askmike1 said:
DisneyFan 2000 said:
This isn't Roy against Eisner, this is a shareholder against management not doing its job as it should.
This suit wasn't from a collaberation of shareholders, this suit is from Roy and Stan. I am a shareholder and do not believe in this suit, so I don't think it's right for Roy to say this is Shareholders vs. Disney Board.

-Michael

He didn't say "ALL" shareholders, he said "A" shareholder.

But, if you don't think this lawsuit has merit, then you should be a very careful investor. Your money is being handled by companies and their board of directors and they should always abide by their bylaws and statements in ALL matters. I'm speaking generally for any company.

This lawsuit (and the one in the courts now) is not about TWDC, not about Roy, not about Eisner, it's about corporate governance.

prberk

wannab@dis said:
They need to have a new vision infused with business savvy, but at the same time, understand the creativity and history of an very unlikely and sucessful business. Disney didn't start as a perfect Business Plan and I don't believe the full potential will be attained if it's only looked at as a business. A business plan cannot take into account the magic seen by Disney enthusiests or the sparkle in a kid's eye. That sparkle can turn into a life long love of all things Disney and it should be nurtured.

Amen.

The "perfect business plan" never made a great movie, only sequels -- while someone else was busy creating the "next big thing." (Pixar anyone?)

Business is always a balanced approach between the tried and true and a little dreaming, and that is especially true of this company.

It's been said before, but that is why Walt and Roy O. were a great team. Vision AND business complementing each other, but with vision in the driver's seat and business committed to helping accomplish the vision....

Paul

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think the lawsuit is also about a board covering up what it does behind the scenes. It's just basic hypocrisy - they say one thing while doing another. I personally think this: If the suit has merit and Disney is forced to do something with it's last Board elections, or it's somehow proven that "the fix was in" for Iger all along, then it's a huge victory for Roy and Stan. If it's baseless, then they are going to have a very tough time mustering up any kind of strong sentiment in the future for their cause.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom