News Roy O. Disney overhaul

Railfan26

More details on the Beyond Big Thunder Mountain Project will be released soon. The permits that were filed are just for prep work. I will update you railfans on possible closures for the WDWRR and the Rivers of America if info does come out about later this year. For now, we don’t know anything.

TrainsOfDisney

I will update you railfans on possible closures for the WDWRR and the Rivers of America if info does come out about later this year.
We are all capable of reading press releases.

Edit: As Captain mentioned below - any news will certainly be public knowledge and posted in the big thunder thread and then we can have a whole discussion topic about it.

I don’t expect any closures to be honest, but we shall see.

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
More details on the Beyond Big Thunder Mountain Project will be released soon. The permits that were filed are just for prep work. I will update you railfans on possible closures for the WDWRR and the Rivers of America if info does come out about later this year. For now, we don’t know anything.
There’s a thread pertaining to Beyond Big Thunder. All info regarding the permits that were just filed and the rest of the situation can be found there. We’re all very aware of the situation. And if the WDWRR does have to temporarily close, along with anything else, for any length of time, I’m quite sure WDWMagic will make a thread about it just like he did when the WDWRR and the speedway closed for Tron. Going forward, please don’t post anymore about BBT/possible WDWRR closures in the locomotive threads. They’ve already veered off from the main topic enough already. Thanks

DavidLeaphart

I still read in a book by David Leaphart (Walt Disney World Railroads Part 3: Yucatan Jewels) that says that the 4-4-0 didn’t have a name until after Roy O. Disney passed away, as Roy didn’t want his name on any of the locomotives. That info could have changed, however; this info comes from that book's first edition.
Hi! The info in the book on naming "Roy" was told to me by Disney Imagineer Bob Harpur.

Eric Graham

This is quite different than Dollywood's steam engine's Cinderella and Klondike Katie where if I'm not mistaken that they said trains can be overhauled in the barns there. They use 5 million pounds of coal a day if I'm not mistaken (or is that per year). However, I've read instances of their trains catching fire in the past and derailing. Oh well, nothing happened to us. Whew! But I also enjoy the Disney trains oh so much. They're so nice and very relaxing to ride all the way around the park. I really enjoy the photos of Walt's personal photos and his pictures on his trains in the Rivera. I believe I have a book about Disney and trains in my Disney room downstairs. So fun!

TrainsOfDisney

if I'm not mistaken that they said trains can be overhauled in the barns there. They use 5 million pounds of coal a day if I'm not mistaken (or is that per year).
Yes! They have an excellent shop at Dollywood, they can also get work done at Tennessee Valley down the road in Chattanooga. Not the full locomotives, but parts and such.

They probably use 5-15 tons of coal per day.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
He said they had to do a lot more work than expected, included all new fire box.
Building a new fire box was in the plans from the beginning and wasn’t anything unexpected. Having a Strasburg employee break the confidentiality agreement and speak so openly about Roy is very unusual….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom