News Roy O. Disney overhaul

dtng2000

I believe Roy is going to get a brass eagle when he came back from Strasburg just like Lilly, Walter, and Roger. This was all Michael Broggie's idea. :) Watch this video around the 17:28 mark:

The other three locomotive were given eagles upon their return, so I don't see why Roy won't get one after he's done. Lilly, however, didn't get an eagle upon her return in 2016; it was later applied in mid-2017.

disneytrain2001

The other three locomotive were given eagles upon their return, so I don't see why Roy won't get one after he's done. Lilly, however, didn't get an eagle upon her return in 2016; it was later applied in early 2017.
Regardless, I love Broggie's idea of adding the brass eagle ornament on all of the WDWRR locomotives' sand dome. It makes them look ornate! :)

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
The other three locomotive were given eagles upon their return, so I don't see why Roy won't get one after he's done. Lilly, however, didn't get an eagle upon her return in 2016; it was later applied in mid-2017.
I’ve got mixed feelings about all 4 having the exact same eagle. Don’t get me wrong, it looks great, but it’d be nice to see something different on each to make it more unique. I’d prefer inspiration from the headlamp art and have a grizzly bear on Roger and a deer (mule deer specifically I think) on Roy. Walter and Lilly’s headlamp art are waterfalls with no animals, but I’d go with an eagle on Walter because Walt was a proud American and loved patriotism, and for Lilly, I’d go with something more elegant like a swan. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

disneytrain2001

Here's some photo references of Roy's liveries over the years.

He first entered service with a lighter gray smokebox color, orange and white pinstriping on his headlamp and cylinders, and a vermillion logo color in the early 1970s:

He later gained a headlamp painting of a deer in mid-1973:

In probably 1974, Roy's light gray smokebox became darker:
October-1979_11.jpg-nggid0517946-ngg0dyn-2400x1594x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

By 1975 or 76, he gained a red background behind his namesake logo on the cab:

Last edited:

disneytrain2001

Roy didn’t enter service without a name. However, he did enter service 2 months later in December of 1971, which also happens to be when Roy died. Maybe you’re thinking about that?
I think the locomotive entered service without a name on December 1, just 20 days before Roy passed on and the locomotive was given his namesake. So that will probably explain why the locomotive's namesake logo does not have a red background until it gains one in the mid 1970s.

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I think the locomotive entered service without a name on December 1, just 20 days before Roy passed on and the locomotive was given his namesake. So that will probably explain why the locomotive's namesake logo does not have a red background until it gains one in the mid 1970s.
Nope, that’s incorrect. The names were finalized prior to opening day, obviously. When Roy entered service, he had his name. He wasn’t nameless until Roy Disney passed.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
To clarify everything, Roy was originally supposed to be one of the 4-6-0s, with Walter being the other 4-6-0, Roger the 2-6-0 and Lilly the 4-4-0. Per the company, Roy Disney didn’t want his locomotive to be identical to Walt’s. Roy thought highly of Walt (and vice versa) and he always made an effort to be different from him. It was his way of showing Walt respect because he never wanted to be viewed as the same as Walt nor receive any amount of credit for Walt’s accomplishments. So with that said, Roy’s request was granted and he ended up with the 4-4-0, and we all know how the rest were reassigned.

Once the locomotives arrived in Tampa to get overhauled, it was discovered that Roy had frame issues. Unlike Lilly’s, Broggie and company decided to go ahead and fix Roy’s frame, which is why he was delayed entering service.

But anyway, the 4-4-0 was named after Roy before opening day and never operated on the line nameless.

disneytrain2001

To clarify everything, Roy was originally supposed to be one of the 4-6-0s, with Walter being the other 4-6-0, Roger the 2-6-0 and Lilly the 4-4-0. Per the company, Roy Disney didn’t want his locomotive to be identical to Walt’s. Roy thought highly of Walt (and vice versa) and he always made an effort to be different from him. It was his way of showing Walt respect because he never wanted to be viewed as the same as Walt nor receive any amount of credit for Walt’s accomplishments. So with that said, Roy’s request was granted and he ended up with the 4-4-0, and we all know how the rest were reassigned.

Once the locomotives arrived in Tampa to get overhauled, it was discovered that Roy had frame issues. Unlike Lilly’s, Broggie and company decided to go ahead and fix Roy’s frame, which is why he was delayed entering service.

But anyway, the 4-4-0 was named after Roy before opening day and never operated on the line nameless.
So, Roy himself is fine having the 4-4-0 named after him?

dtng2000

I still read in a book by David Leaphart (Walt Disney World Railroads Part 3: Yucatan Jewels) that says that the 4-4-0 didn’t have a name until after Roy O. Disney passed away, as Roy didn’t want his name on any of the locomotives. That info could have changed, however; this info comes from that book's first edition.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
So, Roy himself is fine having the 4-4-0 named after him?
Hire a medium and ask

Do you have a source for this info? I’ve never seen any documentation either way.
It’s in the D23 exclusive All Aboard: The Wonderful World of Disney Trains. It has the original concept art for the locomotives, along with the original name and number designations. Great book. Unfortunately, I’m away from my copy for the next couple of days, but will be glad to post pics when I can.

I still read in a book by David Leaphart (Walt Disney World Railroads Part 3: Yucatan Jewels) that says that the 4-4-0 didn’t have a name until after Roy O. Disney passed away, as Roy didn’t want his name on any of the locomotives. That info could have changed, however; this info comes from that book's first edition.
I’m familiar with the Leaphart books. They’re good stuff for the most part, except that bit.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Going over the original concept art for the locomotives. Here’s Roy’s

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

*Very early* in the concept process, Roy, originally, was to be the 2-6-0. It never went that far before he was reassigned to the second 4-6-0…

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

After Roy Disney personally requested a change in locomotives, the second 4-6-0 became the Roger E. Broggie. Today, the second 4-6-0 looks the same as its original concept art with exceptions to the name & number change, sanders, smokestack and headlamp art.

On an additional note, both concepts of the 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 show Roy as being the #2 locomotive. Obviously, that was changed during the second reassignment to the 4-4-0.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom