Rover's got a new coat (and other Carousel of Progress updates)

bgraham34

This is one attraction my wife will not go on. She thinks its too boring. Next trip i have to ditch her and see the show.

Magicot

cop-rover-may08b.jpg

(See an older photo here: http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/cop1.jpg )

And, one more obsessive detail, the pitcher of iced tea in the 20's looked new as well. The reason I noticed was just that it stood out. The old tea pitcher always looked really fake and faded. It just was kinda sad. Yesterday it looked much darker in color. So they either dusted it and washed it off, restoring a more tea-like color to it or they put in a new one. Either way, improvement!

cop-newtea-may08.jpg

Edit Aha! And if you look at this picture, you can see that the actual position of the tea and the glass have changed. They've reserved. The pitcher used to be on the right and now it's on the left. Knew it was different!
It seems as though the small white basket-woven table has been moved as well! It's right in front of him now, but in the old photo, it's off to stage left. Hmm, I wonder when they changed that..:veryconfu

imamouse

Thanks for these updates. CoP is a must-do for our family. My parents saw it at the New York World's Fair when it was brand new!

jtwyatt

AWSOME!! A classic Disney Attraction get some much needed Love. Thanks for the Great Pictures, and your attention to detail.

On adding'changing the last scene, I don't really agree. While on the whole I think changes and additions, done the right way, are great. I think it's nice to have some of the original classics... stay...classic.

Philo

When I first rode CoP I was ready to be a little bored but as soon as it started all my preconceptions dropped away - there is something very charming about that ride. Great to see that it's being looked after!

Rob562

On adding'changing the last scene, I don't really agree. While on the whole I think changes and additions, done the right way, are great. I think it's nice to have some of the original classics... stay...classic.

The thing is, updating the final scene has actually been part of the attraction since it first opened. I believe the final scene was different when it opened in Disneyland than it had been in New York. And when the CoP made its way to Florida, the final scene was changed once again. Then again in the 90's it was updated.

It's time for the final scene to be updated again. Or, as others have suggested, change what is currently the final scene to be a 70's/80's scene, and then install a 5th scene in what is currently the unload stop. Have the current load stop be a simultaneous load and unload like how most theater/film attractions at WDW operate.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ironically, the fourth scene was updated 3 times in less than 10 years at WDW (1975, 1980-ish and 1994) but now we`re 14 years with the same furnishings.

Robs idea about a simultanious load/unload would work wonders, if the budget was there (and there were guarantees about having everyone seated and exited in time)

patrokls

The problem with changing the last scene is they would probably have to change the narration for the whole attraction. I suppose they could get a Jean Shepherd impersonator or just work around the old narration in the last scene. I still don't have a voice activated stove, so its still pretty futuristic.

Expo_Seeker40

Why does it have to be someone like jean shepherd? It can be someone different, especially to the likes of the original narrator Rex Allen, or to Andrew Duggan who, I must say, made the Father sound like some sexy soap opera star with that voice of his :lol: :lookaroun

The first three acts, which are nearly original from 1964 can easily be saved or even restored to their 1964 look, buy taking the 2000s home and turning that into the 1960s scene again the audience sees a much better...well...progression of the 20th century.....and then by using the unload theater as an extra scene....the audience can see either where we are today...or where we may be in the near future.

That way when this new ending ever needs to be replaced.....the cast hired to read the new ending script just simply reads off of a script set in stone for the 1890s-1960s acts 1-4. :wave:

Fun2BFree

That way when this new ending ever needs to be replaced.....the cast hired to read the new ending script just simply reads off of a script set in stone for the 1890s-1960s acts 1-4. :wave:

Your idea gave me an idea: incorporate it with WDI's Living-Character-Initiative! Have a real person read Father's lines, and he can interact directly with the audience, as well as controlling the AA. This way, only props need to be swapped out to make things more futuristic every few years, and the lines can be changed on the fly to give the attraction more of a lease of life! Damn, Imagineering should really hire me. :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

"our refrigerator hold more ice cubes....and my favorite is the.......Hey! HEY YOU IN THE RED SHIRT.....SHUT THE HELL UP AND TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE I'M TALKING ABOUT MY DISHWASHER TO THE PEOPLE SLEEPING IN THE BACK ROW!"

:D

:lookaroun

patrokls

Why does it have to be someone like jean shepherd? It can be someone different, especially to the likes of the original narrator Rex Allen, or to Andrew Duggan who, I must say, made the Father sound like some sexy soap opera star with that voice of his :lol: :lookaroun

I guess I was thinking they couldn't just change the last scene without changing the narration of the whole attraction. Now if were talking about changing the whole thing, I don't really care who they get to do the narration. Although I think I would prefer if it were not a well known celebrity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom