Room Security Checks

JIMINYCR

Using your logic, we need to have inspections to park your car in the parking lot, because who know if your car isn't loaded with C4, or if the trunk isn't full of AR15s?
Who knows what Dis may be doing to scan vehicles parked on property. I’m sure the vehicle loaded with c4 hasn’t escaped their minds.
And using your logic let’s just stop all security and let anything happen. Nothing will be good enough so why attempt any measures.
The only fail safe measure would be to strip search everyone on property, x ray every piece of luggage, tear every vehicle apart, and who would stand for those measures.
Yeah lets all just put our hands in the air and give up.

Lilofan

Who knows what Dis may be doing to scan vehicles parked on property. I’m sure the vehicle loaded with c4 hasn’t escaped their minds.
And using your logic let’s just stop all security and let anything happen. Nothing will be good enough so why attempt any measures.
The only fail safe measure would be to strip search everyone on property, x ray every piece of luggage, tear every vehicle apart, and who would stand for those measures.
Yeah let’s all just put our hands in the air and give up.
Was in the parking lot at DHS early and saw the CM and K-9 dog sniffing at every trash can in the parking lot. I’m sure it wasn’t smelling for a half eaten turkey leg for breakfast.

unmitigated disaster

They are undoubtedly looking for more than the next mass shooter. Trafficking. Drug lab. Destructive guests. The housekeepers where I work (non-Disney resort) once discovered that the guest was stealing everything she could get her hands on when they entered the room. Including jewelry from an off property not affiliated with us jewelry store, clothes from the upscale mall and electronics from Best Buy.

Markc2

Or it's a move to an industry standard.

You clearly don't travel much. As somebody who travels 300 out of 365 days a year and has a significant other in the hotel industry working for one of the largest hotel operators in the US- this is NOT an industry standard. No hotels are doing what Disney is doing. In fact, MGM hotels in Vegas (where one of their hotels was unfortunately where the horrible Vegas event happened) dont do these room checks. Disney is the only one, and while I appreciate any attempt to keep guests safe, their method in doing so is more obnoxious than it is effective.

JIMINYCR

You clearly don't travel much. As somebody who travels 300 out of 365 days a year and has a significant other in the hotel industry working for one of the largest hotel operators in the US- this is NOT an industry standard. No hotels are doing what Disney is doing. In fact, MGM hotels in Vegas (where one of their hotels was unfortunately where the horrible Vegas event happened) dont do these room checks. Disney is the only one, and while I appreciate any attempt to keep guests safe, their method in doing so is more obnoxious than it is effective.
Again... Disney was specifically mentioned as a target by the terrorist group that planned 911 and other attacks. No other hotel or resort chain was mentioned as a target. When they put a bullseye on you, should you ignore that? And you have no evidence that any of their measures have been ineffective. It is a small inconvenience to ask guests to go through scanners and put up with a room check.

Lilofan

Disney has cut back on room cleaning --changing sheets all in the name of saving the environment but in reality it is all about saving Disney money
Yes it has along with many hotels and companies in general. When my director has a team meeting with us in our firm and gives us a directive to look for ways to streamline costs and action plans it is the boss's way or the highway. In regards to room security checks it is just more eyes if any illegal stuff is going on in the hotel room.

Last edited:

Lilofan

TSA was created after the 9/11 attacks.

Nothing the TSA baggage checkers do would actually stop another 9/11 from happening.

But we deal with their rudeness, the inconvenience, their incompetence, and the inconsistent application of rules in the name of “safety”.

Fortunately, other things have been applied that could actually stop another 9/11 from happening:

1- Armed Federal Air Marshalls.
2- Locking cockpit doors
3- Passengers who will not put up with crap
During the 9/11 attacks the cockpit doors were locked. The bad guys made the crew at knifepoint get the pilots to open the door. Also sharp objects like a pocket knife were not allowed on a plane and liquids of only 3 oz or less allowed when boarding the plane.

MissingDisney

Maybe you travel too much. 😂

Lilofan

You travel more in a year than the exec who bought a lifetime United pass for close to $300K in the 1990s and has traveled more than several million miles.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
During the 9/11 attacks the cockpit doors were locked. The bad guys made the crew at knifepoint get the pilots to open the door. Also sharp objects like a pocket knife were not allowed on a plane and liquids of only 3 oz or less allowed when boarding the plane.
Allow me to clarify - reinforced and bulletproof.

Prior to 9/11, they had locks but were often left unlocke.

SteveAZee

Works for me. I’ve been to lots of towns in middle America where they don’t have security at concerts, shows, and even small amusement parks. I’ve never felt unsafe there.
I guess there are two points...
- I think a lot of people felt safe before most terrorist attacks happened. That's kind of the point of terrorist attacks.
- You're probably right that you were safe and security wasn't needed. Some places are more likely to have something bad happen than others.

JIMINYCR

Works for me. I’ve been to lots of towns in middle America where they don’t have security at concerts, shows, and even small amusement parks. I’ve never felt unsafe there.
Feel as safe as you wish. Ask any parent whose school was shot up, ask any person who was at a nightclub that was shot up, ask anyone who was in Las Vegas if they regret having no security. They all felt safe until something happened. No security = a perfect opportunity to hit and cause damage.

MissingDisney

The exact same scenario can cause one person to feel unsafe and uncomfortable while another remains completely unbothered. Is one person wrong and one right? No. Our perceptions that carry over to emotions and thoughts, which then turn to action or inaction, are based on many factors of previous trauma, age, number of prior experiences, and many, many more factors. To one, if they’ve never been the victim of a home invasion crime, they may still feel safe leaving a door unlocked during the day and never give it a second thought. Another person who has been a robbery victim may experience great distress mentally and physically at even the thought of an unlocked door. Are either of them wrong? No.

The room checks are a moderate response for those who find reassurance in knowing this is done. To those who object to them, that’s ok too because their experiences are different and honestly in the total amount of those performed, very few result in guest interaction.

But it’s important to remember, fear is not a negative emotion or trait. It is healthy, and even necessary, for survival. To minimize another's level of fear is insensitive and to live in excess fear is unhealthy. But what is moderation? No one knows because it’s different for every one of us.

I have only experienced a security room check maybe 3 times in hundreds of days at Disney resorts. I personally don’t think they are super effective but if it gives others a a sense of safety, I don’t find them to be intrusive or a bother.

JIMINYCR

And live in fear as much as you wish.

For the record, I’ve never actually had one of these security checks - but i don’t go back to the room during the day.
No sir, I don’t live in fear. I live in reality that bad things can and will happen to those who are unprepared. We all grieve and mourn those who get hit by those whose only desire is to do harm to others. You can live with blinders on and disregard what’s out there but when you or someone you know gets harmed you will regret “feeling safe” and ask after the fact why wasn’t anything in place.
My community was not too long ago hit by a crazed individual who took 18 lives. Now we’ve had committees asking how was this missed and who’s to blame.
I don’t live in fear because I am well aware of the possibilities of that happening again. When I’m at Disney they can do all they wish to provide me with security measures.

Cariad

You may be shocked the number of upscale hotel companies that do not change towels and sheets daily.
I stayed at the Union Jack club in the heart of London earlier this month. £81 ($100) a night for a single room with an amazing eat all you want breakfast and cleaned immaculately every day, spotless.

Cariad

When 911 occurred it was revealed that WDW was mentioned by the terrorist group as a target. They did not call out any other hotel or resort chain. Disney being specifically targeted does give them more to be concerned about.
That was 23 years ago, so why did Disney do none of this until over 15 years later?

Lilofan

I stayed at the Union Jack club in the heart of London earlier this month. £81 ($100) a night for a single room with an amazing eat all you want breakfast and cleaned immaculately every day, spotless.
That's what we liked in hotels in South America and Europe, Middle East was the buffet breakfast which is delish and a great way to start the day. In Dubai, Tel Aviv , Istanbul , the breakfast buffets though in the upscale hotels are next level quality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom