News Rogers the Musical coming to the Hyperion Theater

malice

Does the R in Hyperion always flash out of sync with the other letters or is that supposed to be a nod to Red Skull

PiratesMansion

One one hand, I'm glad that something is going back into Hyperion.

On the other hand, I don't know much, or care to know much, about Marvel, and I worry that this will run forever, as several other "temporary" Disney things have enthusiastically continued to overstay their welcome.

Maybe I'll see it in person and change my mind, but it makes me nervous.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
While I didn't think it was going to be Rogers, I like the idea.

For those that keep saying it was a "joke", it wasn't. It was a full production musical number with actual real theater actors, real choreography, real costumes and a real set that were done on the same scale of any Broadway production. It was even staged by a real Broadway director, Marc Shaiman.

Basically it was decided by Kevin Feige that if they were going to have a Broadway show as part of a MCU story that they weren't going to "fake it" or make it a "joke", it was going to be real within the MCU. Now obviously there was never a real Rogers Broadway show, but its clear they spared no expense on it. And while what was shown in the Hawkeye show was only a small piece of it, it was a full musical number which was filmed in its entirety and available to watch.

And now its coming to life at DLR making it actually real, and I'm all for it.

Surferboy567

For those that keep saying it was a "joke", it wasn't. It was a full production musical number with actual real theater actors, real choreography, real costumes and a real set that were done on the same scale of any Broadway production. It was even staged by a real Broadway director, Marc Shaiman.

Basically it was decided by Kevin Feige that if they were going to have a Broadway show as part of a MCU story that they weren't going to "fake it" or make it a "joke", it was going to be real within the MCU. Now obviously there was never a real Rogers Broadway show, but its clear they spared no expense on it. And while what was shown in the Hawkeye show was only a small piece of it, it was a full musical number which was filmed in its entirety and available to watch.

Those “costumes” aren’t something I would say are real Broadway material. Those are borderline cosplay costumes. It’s clearly meant to be a joke or comical in some way.

I’m not disrespecting the people who worked on it, but it clearly isn’t to the standard of “real” broadway shows.

EDIT: You can argue yes, it was staged as a Broadway production but I don’t know how it can be taken seriously. Who knows though maybe it turns out amazing? I have my doubts, but it’s possible.

DavidDL

I guess I finally have a reason to deface the nearest bathroom with "Thanos was right". Hey, it's not vandalism, it's thematic!

Skip

Those “costumes” aren’t something I would say are real Broadway material. Those are borderline cosplay costumes. It’s clearly meant to be a joke or comical in some way.

I’m not disrespecting the people who worked on it, but it clearly isn’t to the standard of “real” broadway shows.

Exactly. The sequence was clearly intended to be a parody. That's reflected in the utter ridiculousness of the costumes, lyrics, and characterization - not to mention Hawkeye's distaste of the production, which is the real takeaway of the scene it appears in. This isn't up for debate.

DavidDL

In seriousness, it's hard for me to say this isn't a fit for the current area. Let's look at the positives:

1) A show (of any kind) is returning to the Hyperion, which gives Guests more to do in the area/park.

2) Makes as much sense as any other Broadway-style number included in Hollywoodland.

3) The show is shorter (one act). Which means they can have more showtimes to both eat up Guests and ensure the show doesn't eat up too much of their day in the park, either.

4) Provides some kind of transition between Hollywoodland and Avengers Campus. Much better than whatever the failed "cosmic sparkle" on the ground near GotG is supposed to be.

and most importantly, 5) The show itself is supposed to be a joke. Most of California Adventure already is at this point so, it's going to feel right at home!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Exactly. The sequence was clearly intended to be a parody. That's reflected in the utter ridiculousness of the costumes, lyrics, and characterization - not to mention Hawkeye's distaste of the production, which is the real takeaway of the scene it appears in. This isn't up for debate.
But some people do like parodies. It’s “meta” as the kids call it these days. They can always up the production value and costumes, too - should they choose to.

Many retired and current shows and attraction effectively used parodies to varying degrees: Genie in Aladdin, ITBAB, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Billy Hill/Golden Horseshoe Revue, etc. - all use variations of parodies to some degree.

DavidDL

But some people do like parodies. It’s “meta” as the kids call it these days. They can always up the production value and costumes, too - should they choose to.

Many retired and current shows and attraction effectively used parodies to varying degrees: Genie in Aladdin, ITBAB, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Billy Hill/Golden Horseshoe Revue, etc. - all use variations of parodies to some degree.

I could obviously be wrong but I have a strong feeling they won't. Where the characters are concerned, at least. They could obviously go out of their way to make them look and feel more like their Avengers Campus counterparts.. but with how interconnected Disney is trying to make everything these days, it'd probably raise some questions or create some kind of confusion among less-savvy Guests as to whether or not this is the same Black Widow singing and dancing just around the corner from the one putting on a more serious show fighting Black Panther.

Nah, I think better to make it absolutely clear that the show and those performing in it aren't and aren't in any way trying to actually be, those heroes around the corner. Retaining the lower production values of the costumes from Hawkeye (to at least some degree) makes it very clear to all Guests what this limited engagement is supposed to be.

SuddenStorm

It’s corny, but that’s the point. Why do Hyperion shows all have to be dramas?

Let’s see what Disney comes up with. This could actually be funny.

The fact Disney has to come up with something here gives me hope. I liked the Frozen show- it was perfectly fine but it was basically the movie on stage. Aladdin was good, and the Genie added some rewatchability, but again, Aladdin on stage.

Other then a few clips from the Hawkeye show Disney doesn't have something to copy here. They have to develop the story, songs, etc. from scratch.

This could be the most unique thing we've gotten from DL Entertainment in a while.

No Name

It was a joke. In the context of the show it was a joke, and the fact that they worked so hard on it is exactly what made it a successful joke.

DavidDL

... Other then a few clips from the Hawkeye show Disney doesn't have something to copy here. They have to develop the story, songs, etc. from scratch. ...

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Disney's post makes it clear that this is going to be a short, one act performance. I'd imagine it's mostly going to just be the number we see in the show sandwiched between some sort of short build up and ending, for context within the show.

SuddenStorm

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Disney's post makes it clear that this is going to be a short, one act performance. I'd imagine it's mostly going to just be the number we see in the show sandwiched between some sort of short build up and ending, for context within the show.

I'm not expecting a Broadway production but it'll probably be at least 30 minutes- it takes too long to seat the theater and empty the theater to have it be 15 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom