Rock Your Disney Side - 24 hour character party at Magic Kingdom

DisneyOutsider

I was quite disappointed with this event. They advertise it as a big rare character event, yet aside from Hercules characters and a few more rare villains...where were half the characters in the photo shoot?

Don't know which event you were at, but we saw MORE rare characters that they didn't even announce would be there! Seeing the Oogie Boogie man in the pre-parade was amazing! Lotso, evil step-mother, queen of hearts, Hades Pain and Panic and Meg, Malificent. I don't understand how a fan of Disney and the Magic Kingdom could NOT enjoy themselves at this event.

The tweet was simply a cute play on words (Twitter=160 characters) to announce the theme of the event and that you could dress up as any character that you want. They later announced the names of characters that would actually be there, and they delivered that and then some.

Kman101

I have to give credit to the folks who did show up in costumes. I saw so many that day. Lots of costumes. They did a great job with them.

PhotoDave219

Don't know which event you were at, but we saw MORE rare characters that they didn't even announce would be there! Seeing the Oogie Boogie man in the pre-parade was amazing! Lotso, evil step-mother, queen of hearts, Hades Pain and Panic and Meg, Malificent. I don't understand how a fan of Disney and the Magic Kingdom could NOT enjoy themselves at this event.

The tweet was simply a cute play on words (Twitter=160 characters) to announce the theme of the event and that you could dress up as any character that you want. They later announced the names of characters that would actually be there, and they delivered that and then some.

Rare is point of view. Most of those billed as "rare" used to do daily sets within the past 10 years.

IceGator

My sister & I did the whole 24 hours. I'm glad we did it, we had a blast but I doubt I'd ever repeat all 24 like that again. The first six hours and the last six hours were by far the most enjoyable. It was the hours in between that were a struggle. The park was dead in the morning and we blasted through everything in Adventureland and Frontierland with little to no wait. Then the heat and the families/regular crowds hit the parks and I hit my first wall. A little food, caffeine and the quest to experience every attraction in the park kept us going (especially those air conditioned sit down ones ;)) We ended up missing three. Our tired throbbing feet won the battle at several points during the day. Flip flops! What were we thinking?! Around midnight the adrenaline started kicking in again with the Villains Parade and then the meet & greets. As much as I usually hate the dance parties, the music really helped to keep us going. At 6:20 we boarded the strugglebus back to the hotel and passed out until 2 pm. Then it was off to Epcot for some beer and Illuminations therapy.

DisneyOutsider

Rare is point of view. Most of those billed as "rare" used to do daily sets within the past 10 years.

Cool? Doesn't change the fact that they are rare today. My point was that Disney really OVER-delivered on what they said they were going to do, and that's why I just don't understand the disappointment.

Queenof<3<3

I had a great time at the event, but my biggest disappointment was I had yet another chance to meet Bowler Hat Guy, and I still didn't get to (the line was long, it was 3am, and my friend was getting tired). View attachment 54828 View attachment 54829

Omg you were toddlers favorite person dressed up. They kept wanting to walk over and take a picture with you and meet you but I was to shy to ask. My kids were so excited to see shadow man.

Kman101

Yeah, it is kind of sad that so many characters are considered rare when I remember not that long ago Pinocchio and Captain Hook (along with Smee), to name just two, had regularly daily meet and greets. I'm not 100% on Hook but I don't think he meets regularly anymore at all, though I could be wrong on that one.

asianway

Yeah, it is kind of sad that so many characters are considered rare when I remember not that long ago Pinocchio and Captain Hook (along with Smee), to name just two, had regularly daily meet and greets. I don't think Hook meets regularly anymore at all, though I could be wrong on that one.
Not regular, but they do training, random, and the F! Pm sets. Stromboli Pain Panic & Hades are nearing that ten year mark Dave mentioned

Sketch105

Omg you were toddlers favorite person dressed up. They kept wanting to walk over and take a picture with you and meet you but I was to shy to ask. My kids were so excited to see shadow man.

I am overwhelmed! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. I probably would've been nervous myself but I have a son, so I would've loved to have said hi and taken a photo!

mf1972

My sister & I did the whole 24 hours. I'm glad we did it, we had a blast but I doubt I'd ever repeat all 24 like that again. The first six hours and the last six hours were by far the most enjoyable. It was the hours in between that were a struggle. The park was dead in the morning and we blasted through everything in Adventureland and Frontierland with little to no wait. Then the heat and the families/regular crowds hit the parks and I hit my first wall. A little food, caffeine and the quest to experience every attraction in the park kept us going (especially those air conditioned sit down ones ;)) We ended up missing three. Our tired throbbing feet won the battle at several points during the day. Flip flops! What were we thinking?! Around midnight the adrenaline started kicking in again with the Villains Parade and then the meet & greets. As much as I usually hate the dance parties, the music really helped to keep us going. At 6:20 we boarded the strugglebus back to the hotel and passed out until 2 pm. Then it was off to Epcot for some beer and Illuminations therapy.
I take my Mickey ears hat off to you

Jakester

image.jpg
Big Thunder Mountain at 5:50am 5-24-2014

Queenof<3<3

I am overwhelmed! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. I probably would've been nervous myself but I have a son, so I would've loved to have said hi and taken a photo!

You have no idea, we were staying at port orleans in their princess and the frog room and all they kept saying was they hope they saw shadow man. We were eating near gastons area when they saw you and shrieked "mommy there he is shadow man!" It was such a well done costume and I'm glad someone pulled it off so well. We kept seeing you around and they would keep asking and asking lol. I didn't want to bug your group.

asianway

Are they supposed to have 5 copies of the same character simultaneously? How do you propose they stop people from making the lines long?

Shouldn't we be happy they ran long sets?
It wasn't as horrific a phone it in as the past two, but they could do some of the special greets during the day, rather than funnel everything through the early AM hours

flynnibus

Premium Member
It wasn't as horrific a phone it in as the past two, but they could do some of the special greets during the day, rather than funnel everything through the early AM hours

Well.. there is something to be said about ensuring you ahve things through the full day. The operating schedule for attractions was top notch IMO. They put some effort into the food offerings.. they extended the other parks... and they put in a heck of a lot of characters. From afar.. it certainly looked like a full slate and it seemed properly sized this year to the demand too.

PhotoDave219

Are they supposed to have 5 copies of the same character simultaneously? How do you propose they stop people from making the lines long?

Shouldn't we be happy they ran long sets?

Yes I'm happy they were there, and yes I'm happy they ran long sets.

I'm just annoyed that anything that is considered "rare" these days is something that we used to have on a regular basis and paid less money for.

If you want rare? Bring me treasure planet characters. Bring me the Kingdom hearts characters that used to be out of Halloween parties. Bring me Roger rabbit. Bring out the hunchback of Notre Dame characters. Bring me out Carl from Up.

Instead it's the same old song and dance…

That being said, you would think the Disney would start doing something with the ridiculous popularity of the villains. One would hope so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom