Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

No Name

Indeed. This is a low-hanging fruit for IP integration and would be a cheap, quick changeover.

I don't even blame them. If they can make a compelling product based upon a movie franchise in their movie theme park, so be it. Aerosmith never really fit for me.

It’s not a movie theme park, Disney does not define it as such, and narrowing the park to that could very well narrow its appeal. At a certain point they’d be attracting highly overlapping markets. Having attractions that pull people with different interests like music, television, video games, books, theater, magic, etc. is smart business, and is something Universal’s done quite a bit of recently, even though Universal certainly has no 12th level intellect.

Guess MMRR should make its way out for a movie franchise though!

Someone should remind them that the second they build something, it BECOMES a Disney brand. There’s no need to find an IP.

They literally have a Haunted Mansion line. Park-specific properties can make money.

Very good point. Unfortunately Bob Iger has a personal bias that he‘s gone so far as to restructure the company around so that thought doesn’t seem like it’ll be accepted anytime soon.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s not a movie theme park, Disney does not define it as such, and narrowing the park to that could very well narrow its appeal. At a certain point they’d be attracting highly overlapping markets. Having attractions that pull people with different interests like music, television, video games, books, theater, magic, etc. is smart business, and is something Universal’s done quite a bit of recently, even though Universal certainly has no 12th level intellect.

Guess MMRR should make its way out for a movie franchise though!

MMRR is about entering a Mickey Movie. Mickey appeared in movies. Mickey Mouse is a movie star and a Disney movie IP. You can meet "red carpet" Mickey as he appeared in the Disney movie Fantasia. You can also meet red carpet Minnie at DHS. In MMRR, they meet up with Goofy. Goofy was in movies. There's a movie called A Goofy Movie. So, it's a movie ride. About entering the movies. Which is what DHS is all about. (And by 'movies' we include TV and other similar video formats.) MMRR is indeed a movie franchise.

Also, since DHS is not a movie-tour theme park anymore, how exactly is Disney defining DHS?

No Name

The soon-to-be-replaced Paris version solves all of these problems, making the storyline that it’s a roller coaster co-created by the record company and Aerosmith, no pretending it’s a limo required.

It solves all the problems of immersion, but sacrifices any compelling storyline to do so. Riding a rollercoaster that a record company and Aerosmith built makes no sense whatsoever and doesn’t envoke the same feeling of excitement. It’s an extremely shallow premise and story that certainly isn’t Disney-quality. At some point immersion is worth breaking for a captivating experience. Something that seems to have been forgotten in the creation of Galaxy’s Edge as well.

ToTBellHop

MMRR is about entering a Mickey Movie. Mickey appeared in movies. Mickey Mouse is a movie star and a Disney movie IP. You can meet "red carpet" Mickey as he appeared in the Disney movie Fantasia. You can also meet red carpet Minnie at DHS. In MMRR, they meet up with Goofy. Goofy was in movies. There's a movie called A Goofy Movie. So, it's a movie ride. About entering the movies. Which is what DHS is all about. (And by 'movies' we include TV and other similar video formats.) MMRR is indeed a movie franchise.

Also, since DHS is not a movie-tour theme park anymore, how exactly is Disney defining DHS?
They define DHS as the “other Magic Kingdom that’s not Epcot”.

No Name

Bringing up tangential examples of Mickey Mouse (or worse, side characters) appearing in movies does not make him a movie IP. By that logic Frozen is a video game IP. Or a theme park IP. Or a cereal IP. No, no it is not. The Mickey shorts, which this ride is directly based off of, are television.

And it’s a very different format of storytelling than movies, not just a shorter version of such. To say “And by 'movies' we include TV and other similar video formats” is quite frankly dumb, and nobody in either industry would agree with that, so I’m not sure who “we” refers to.

And how does “MMRR is a movie franchise?” make a lick of sense? Good lord penguin you’re an... odd one.

No Name

@MisterPenguin
@MansionButler84
how exactly is Disney defining DHS?

“In response to questions we have been receiving, we also want to let fans know that the Disney’s Hollywood Studios name will remain the same for the foreseeable future since we are immersing our guests in a place where imagined worlds of Hollywood unfold around them from movies and music, to television and theater.

Even Dr. Blonde and co. know better.

Last edited:

Fantasmicguy

If that's the case than music videos should be included as well. I also think Aerosmith has also been in a few full length movies as well.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
When I'm riding dinosaur, as we whip around each turn, I visualize in my head the superior scene that occurs at that point on the Indiana Jones Adventure. Like, we stop to see the long-necky vegetarian dino and I picture
View attachment 396664

It makes the ride 72% more enjoyable.
Eh. Indy was cool. But for a little boy like me 10 years ago, nothing could top seeing a Dino in person.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If that's the case than music videos should be included as well. I also think Aerosmith has also been in a few full length movies as well.

Did you miss the post above that points out Aerosmith isn't a Disney property? Whether one likes it or not, Disney Hollywood Studios is about stuff produced by studios owned by Disney place-set in Hollywood.

So, if the music video was as popular as the other Disney IPs... sure. There's Disney Jr. in DHS after all.

PizzaPlanet

Disney at its best creates believable experiences that help you suspend your disbelief and “step into the story.” An obvious roller coaster train decorated like a limo, driving past two-dimensional cartoon-style images, does not an immersive adventure make. (The soon-to-be-replaced Paris version solves all of these problems, making the storyline that it’s a roller coaster co-created by the record company and Aerosmith, no pretending it’s a limo required.)
I think this is an example of when more immersion = less fun. Sure, everyone knows that limos don't go upside down, and that the "sets" you pass aren't the most realistic. But we also know that abandoned maintenance elevators don't have seats in them, and that you wouldn't be able to breathe while riding through space in a vehicle that is obviously a rollercoaster car disguised as a rocket. Yet in these cases I think most can still suspend their disbelief for a great ride experience that fits well with the theme.

To be honest I've never been on the Paris version, but from what I've seen the backstory seems a lot less exciting, even if it is more realistic. There's something so goofy and fun about racing through the city to get to a concert on time that I couldn't imagine the ride without it. And let's not forget the amazing preshow...

Bocabear

I think this is an example of when more immersion = less fun. Sure, everyone knows that limos don't go upside down, and that the "sets" you pass aren't the most realistic. But we also know that abandoned maintenance elevators don't have seats in them, and that you wouldn't be able to breathe while riding through space in a vehicle that is obviously a rollercoaster car disguised as a rocket. Yet in these cases I think most can still suspend their disbelief for a great ride experience that fits well with the theme.

To be honest I've never been on the Paris version, but from what I've seen the backstory seems a lot less exciting, even if it is more realistic. There's something so goofy and fun about racing through the city to get to a concert on time that I couldn't imagine the ride without it. And let's not forget the amazing preshow...
If you go to Paris and ride Space Mountain, you will pretty much have the same ride with a different story...they are amazingly similar after the launch.

DCLcruiser

After seeing the new night show it popped in my head they can do a wreck it Ralph theme. Not exactly what I would like to see but just a thought.
My favorite part of the whole series is Vanellope learning to drive stick. She is a race car driver. Maybe they are racing on the electrical current from the guitar to the amp, foot controller and outlet?

Monorail_Orange

My favorite part of the whole series is Vanellope learning to drive stick. She is a race car driver. Maybe they are racing on the electrical current from the guitar to the amp, foot controller and outlet?
If you're going the WIR route, just go back to the first movie and theme it to racing in Sugar Rush. They could re-use the donut prop that way.

ETA: Not that I'm for retheming this one in the first place.

BlakeW39

RnRC is a thing of the past in qll honesty. A relic of old DHS - which is no longer going to be the same park. I encourage a renovation in a sense that the Aerosmith ride doesn't grab me very much, but I would rather see funds allocated to a new ride.

If it is to be rethemed... Rocketeer or Incredibles could be a good choice, if done correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom