Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

RSoxNo1

The placement (designed from the start) has always been odd. It’s a weenie building, not a centrepiece.

One can only assume they never planned on expanding the blvd as they are doing now. Or just another chapter of how not to design a park.
I would maintain that the way the front half of this park worked out is that the Hollywood Boulevard to Sunset Boulevard is entirely a setup for Tower of Terror, the front half of the park is setup for Tower of Terror.

The best way to to address this is to connect the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster / Cars show area to the Animation Courtyard area. Transition out of the Sunset Boulevard theme in whatever RnRC's retheme ends up being and make the transition actually work.

My personal preference, put some facades along that stretch and make the area the new home of an Osborne Lights equivalent. It can be nothing more than a passthrough area during 9 months of the year but be functional 3 months of the year.

Purduevian

I feel like a Cars overlay would be awful for the same reason Stitch was an awful overlay for AE. The cars franchise is currently very popular with younger kids, and RnRC is currently a thrill ride aimed at teens and young adults. It's just seems like a bad idea to mix the two as I actually think it might lower the demand for RnRC. There is a reason Disney has not thrown a childish overlay on large rollercoasters yet, they tend to use their Superhero or Starwars (more adult) IP.

rle4lunch

I feel like a Cars overlay would be awful for the same reason Stitch was an awful overlay for AE. The cars franchise is currently very popular with younger kids, and RnRC is currently a thrill ride aimed at teens and young adults. It's just seems like a bad idea to mix the two as I actually think it might lower the demand for RnRC. There is a reason Disney has not thrown a childish overlay on large rollercoasters yet, they tend to use their Superhero or Starwars (more adult) IP.

cough cough, incredicoaster.... sigh...

rle4lunch

God..... I hope it wont be the incredicoaster. Either keep it as Aerosmith or retheme it to Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

me either, i was just reminding the poster that they had already rethemed a teen/adult rollercoaster to a kid movie. that said, i think this is going the carsland route. it really makes the most sense.

in the past 8 years since carsland has opened, RSR consistentely has just as many adults riding it as kids (probably more so). So I don't think a 'Cars' reskin would be doing an disservice to RnRc.

The Grand Inquisitor

me either, i was just reminding the poster that they had already rethemed a teen/adult rollercoaster to a kid movie. that said, i think this is going the carsland route. it really makes the most sense.

in the past 8 years since carsland has opened, RSR consistentely has just as many adults riding it as kids (probably more so). So I don't think a 'Cars' reskin would be doing an disservice to RnRc.
Yeah, i think cars is inevitable. I would much rather have a electric mayhem overlay and put muppet vision in where the mcqueen show is. Then Disney could demo grand avenue to expand galaxy's edge.

Bleed0range

How cost prohibitive would it be to dismantle test track from Epcot and move it to HS and create a Radiator Springs Racers haha?

TBH, it’s one of my favorite Disney rides of all time and I would prefer it to even a retheme of RNR. I think it’s a much better application of that ride tech.

MickeyMouse10

How cost prohibitive would it be to dismantle test track from Epcot and move it to HS and create a Radiator Springs Racers haha?

TBH, it’s one of my favorite Disney rides of all time and I would prefer it to even a retheme of RNR. I think it’s a much better application of that ride tech.

That's an interesting idea, but I doubt they'd move a whole attraction. It would be a lot of work and they'd have to replace Track with something at Epcot.

If they did though they could make this whole section either Guardians or Space at Epcot. Then make the other side Sky (UP???), Land and Sea. And last, but definitely not least rename the front of Epcot (Discoveryland???).

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

This is one case in which I'd actually be very much in favor of a re-theme... because RnRC just isn't immersive. It's an obvious roller coaster with flat, cartoon set pieces for decoration. There's very little that separates it from being a Six Flags -level attraction.

On the other hand, I'd be concerned about anything that has the potential to mess up the beautiful "opening scene" of Tower of Terror, meaning the walk down Sunset Boulevard.

IMDREW

I’d love it to be a Doctor Strange theme. Theme the outside and queue to his sanctum with all those props like the cloak in showcases. Make it feel like an extension of SB.

The ride would be that journey through all the different multiverses like in his movie when the ancient one says “open your mind” and boom! Were off. Would be fun! ;)

MaximumEd

This is one case in which I'd actually be very much in favor of a re-theme... because RnRC just isn't immersive. It's an obvious roller coaster with flat, cartoon set pieces for decoration. There's very little that separates it from being a Six Flags -level attraction.

On the other hand, I'd be concerned about anything that has the potential to mess up the beautiful "opening scene" of Tower of Terror, meaning the walk down Sunset Boulevard.

I really love the ride, and think there’s a lot more to it than a Six Flags-level attraction, but I’ve never been able to understand why they chose to cheap out on the on-ride theming. You have a cool building for the queue and pre-show complete with giant guitar and limo upside down above you as you approach, a well done interior queue and pre-show, the garage and tunnel are themed adequately, the ride vehicles and onboard audio are killer, and the post-ride shop is nice. None of this says Six Flags to me, except for the on-ride portion. After all the money spent on the things I listed above, how much more would cool stuff to see as you whiz by have added as a percentage of the cost?

Magenta Panther

I’d love it to be a Doctor Strange theme. Theme the outside and queue to his sanctum with all those props like the cloak in showcases. Make it feel like an extension of SB.

The ride would be that journey through all the different multiverses like in his movie when the ancient one says “open your mind” and boom! Were off. Would be fun! ;)

Eh, not to me, but happily that won't happen anyway.

matt9112

A Monsters Inc retheme has never made any sense to me. Because music has been such a big part of the ride since its inception. This is the main reason I'm all for either Cars or even Guardians of the Galaxy - Mix Tape instead.

or we could not. thats probably good for the parks the same repeated IPs creeping in everywhere....sets a good precedent. (eye roll) if you want to find a more relevant band sure...but lets be clear ANY retheme will simply be a redone que and courtyard coupled with new cardboard. this is TWDC....i would rather not see a pet dog and a talking tree doing something cute in the que to make all well with the ride....

MickeyMouse10

or we could not. thats probably good for the parks the same repeated IPs creeping in everywhere....sets a good precedent. (eye roll) if you want to find a more relevant band sure...but lets be clear ANY retheme will simply be a redone que and courtyard coupled with new cardboard. this is TWDC....i would rather not see a pet dog and a talking tree doing something cute in the que to make all well with the ride....

It's tough to find a relevant band that stands the test of time and doesn't want an arm and a leg for their services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom