Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

MickeyMouse10

I think if "Racing Academy" is going to stay then the best option is "Cars". They could do it even cheaper if they just theme it after the race track like "Racing Academy".

Bleed0range

A while back there was a track on one of the limosuines for a proposed overlay be it temporary or permanent themed to Goofy and Max getting to a Powerline concert to what I presume was Eye to Eye.

This would be the best possible ting they could do. I love that movie and so does a lot of my generation. It would be pretty cool to see, but I would think it would clash since Goofy is now associated with MMRR as the train conductor.

I think if "Racing Academy" is going to stay then the best option is "Cars". They could do it even cheaper if they just theme it after the race track like "Racing Academy".

They could turn the cars backwards and make it themed around Mator showing Lightning McQueen how he can drive backwards. Make the interior themed around the town at night sort of like RSR in CA.

celluloid

This would be the best possible ting they could do. I love that movie and so does a lot of my generation. It would be pretty cool to see, but I would think it would clash since Goofy is now associated with MMRR as the train conductor.

They could turn the cars backwards and make it themed around Mator showing Lightning McQueen how he can drive backwards. Make the interior themed around the town at night sort of like RSR in CA.

You are not wrong, but clearly most of powers at be at Team Disney Orlando do not care about that anymore.

The issue with the Cars theming is, is that Cars is typically a lower age level appeal. RnR has the highest height requirement in all of WDW. Anything over 40 inch height requirement for Cars is going to be a rough pitch because of the target audience.

TJJohn12

If the RnR entrance was pulled off sunset, presumably rerouted into the area behind launch bay in what was the original loading circle for the backlot tour, then it would be quite easy to close the loop - extend Highland Avenue through the gate at Sunset Market and into the backstage area (the backstage road called Showbiz Blvd). TOT would still be a “dead-end” but one less than a block long. It would actually open flow from Sunset back into Animation Courtyard and make the park closer to a loop.

I actually played with that opening of the loop idea over in the imagineering forum using Roger Rabbit (though RnR remained untouched).

Fallon got a ride... doesn’t Jimmy Kimmel appear on ABC which is owned by Disney? Why not have it be Matt Damon trying to get to his show to be a guest but you get there just as time runs out with “apologies to Matt Damon” at the end? Haha.
I feel like it would fit would fit in quite well. And ABC would have an excuse to come tape a week of shows there for the grand opening and whatnot.
NBCUniversal actively works to integrate this concept they call "Symphony" to cross promote their content throughout all branches of the company (which involves things like the Race Through New York and Today Cafe), and it's definitely something that would be great to see more of with Disney properties.

MickeyMouse10

Fallon got a ride... doesn’t Jimmy Kimmel appear on ABC which is owned by Disney? Why not have it be Matt Damon trying to get to his show to be a guest but you get there just as time runs out with “apologies to Matt Damon” at the end? Haha.

😸😄 I don't usually like the late shows, but the skits are very funny with Matt. Jimmy Kimmel and Tom Brady really messed up his (supposed) house in the most recent one.

Only Universal is dumb enough to make a ride based on a late show though. They've been putting way too many NBC things in there park and city walk lately. Now they have 2 restaurants, a ride and a welcome center.

😸😄 I don't usually like the late shows, but the skits are very funny with Matt. Jimmy Kimmel and Tom Brady really messed up his (supposed) house in the most recent one.

Only Universal is dumb enough to make a ride based on a late show though. They've been putting way too many NBC things in there park and city walk lately. Now they have 2 restaurants, a ride and a welcome center.
See the link I posted above about "Symphony". It's exactly why they're doing it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I feel like it would fit would fit in quite well. And ABC would have an excuse to come tape a week of shows there for the grand opening and whatnot.
NBCUniversal actively works to integrate this concept they call "Symphony" to cross promote their content throughout all branches of the company (which involves things like the Race Through New York and Today Cafe), and it's definitely something that would be great to see more of with Disney properties.

I am anxiously awaiting the Good Morning America dark ride. ;)

SoupBone

I know it's been said but the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" still applies. Aerosmith is still a popular band, selling out shows in Vegas. I know it's now considered an old person's band, but that area is still really nice, and it still draws very large lines.

Unless the entire area is going to undergo a retheming, I just get why they'd mess with it.

Bleed0range

I know it's been said but the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" still applies. Aerosmith is still a popular band, selling out shows in Vegas. I know it's now considered an old person's band, but that area is still really nice, and it still draws very large lines.

Unless the entire area is going to undergo a retheming, I just get why they'd mess with it.

Because they probably don’t want to keep paying Aerosmith.

Kman101

But is Aerosmith "more Disney, more timeless, more classic, more family friendly?" ;) where's the IP? That's why it's probably being re-themed. Not that I don't think the money could be better spent but I'm good with a re-theme. A coaster will always be popular ;) Not like Rock'n merch is flying off the shelves ... even with a guitar playing Mickey on the front of a shirt ...

yensidtlaw1969

And yet Mission Breakout happened.
My understanding is that had to do more with guest satisfaction ratings on Tower at DCA - it was something guests did once they were in the park, but they didn't cite it as something that was drawing them to the park in the first place. For such a large, expensive attraction, the fact that it didn't really serve the resort as a headlining, signature attraction was seen as a problem that could be improved upon with an influx of cash (and, it seems, some new IP). I don't love Mission Breakout myself, but it did the job of turning the attraction back into a big draw for the park.

This is all to say that Rock N' Roller Coaster doesn't seem to have this problem. It actively pulls people to DHS and they seem to say as much. That doesn't mean that it couldn't be rethemed - with all the change going on in DHS, it's possible they may do something to make it fit the park's "new personality" - but it's not really in the same situation as Tower at DCA.

Lucky Rabbit

I love the Powerline idea that was posted earlier in this thread. It be my top option for a re-theme. You could make the limos into a stretch AMC Pacer Wagon (car from the movie). Even if they want to keep the ride focused on one band with the current concept, at least update the queue area film with an HD recording.

I have no attachment to Aerosmith as an IP. So I'd be fine with those who've suggested doing a Guardians of the Galaxy Mixtape overlay. I'm assuming it be a higher quality Hyperspace Mountain with classic rock instead of Star Wars. Even if you don't like/care about Guardians, I think the soundtrack has mass appeal:

Vol. 1 Soundtrack
1. "Hooked on a Feeling" - Blue Swede
2. "Go All the Way" - Raspberries
3. "Spirit in the Sky" - Norman Greenbaum
4. "Moonage Daydream" - David Bowie
5. "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" - Elvin Bishop
6. "I Want You Back" - The Jackson 5
7. "I'm Not in Love" - 10cc
8. "Come and Get Your Love" - Redbone
9. "Cherry Bomb" - The Runaways
10. "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" - Rupert Holmes
11. "O-o-h Child" - Five Stairsteps
12. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Vol. 2 Soundtrack
1. "Mr. Blue Sky" - Electric Light Orchestra
2. "Fox on the Run" - Sweet
3. "Lake Shore Drive" - Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
4. "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac
5. "Bring It on Home to Me" - Sam Cooke
6. "Southern Nights" - Glen Campbell
7. "My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" - Jay and the Americans
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" - Silver
11. "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
12. "Father and Son" - Cat Stevens
13. "Flash Light" - Parliament
14. "Guardians Inferno" - The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff

PizzaPlanet

I love the Powerline idea that was posted earlier in this thread. It be my top option for a re-theme. You could make the limos into a stretch AMC Pacer Wagon (car from the movie). Even if they want to keep the ride focused on one band with the current concept, at least update the queue area film with an HD recording.

I have no attachment to Aerosmith as an IP. So I'd be fine with those who've suggested doing a Guardians of the Galaxy Mixtape overlay. I'm assuming it be a higher quality Hyperspace Mountain with classic rock instead of Star Wars. Even if you don't like/care about Guardians, I think the soundtrack has mass appeal:

Vol. 1 Soundtrack
1. "Hooked on a Feeling" - Blue Swede
2. "Go All the Way" - Raspberries
3. "Spirit in the Sky" - Norman Greenbaum
4. "Moonage Daydream" - David Bowie
5. "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" - Elvin Bishop
6. "I Want You Back" - The Jackson 5
7. "I'm Not in Love" - 10cc
8. "Come and Get Your Love" - Redbone
9. "Cherry Bomb" - The Runaways
10. "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" - Rupert Holmes
11. "O-o-h Child" - Five Stairsteps
12. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Vol. 2 Soundtrack
1. "Mr. Blue Sky" - Electric Light Orchestra
2. "Fox on the Run" - Sweet
3. "Lake Shore Drive" - Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
4. "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac
5. "Bring It on Home to Me" - Sam Cooke
6. "Southern Nights" - Glen Campbell
7. "My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" - Jay and the Americans
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" - Silver
11. "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
12. "Father and Son" - Cat Stevens
13. "Flash Light" - Parliament
14. "Guardians Inferno" - The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff
The soundtrack is spectacular, but I don't think they would want to have two different indoor GotG coasters in two different parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom