Robin Hood

Greenlawler

Original Poster
With the announcement of the special addition DVD for Robin Hood I was wondering. What are your feelings on the movie? I hope this generates more park refrences.
I was a child when the movie opened and remember seeing it. As a child in the early 70's I remember going to Disneyworld, which at the time was knee deep in the 70's southern culture boom brought on by "Convoy", "Rhinestone Cowboy" Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Smokey and the Bandit". The country bears were the premiere attraction then, and Robin Hood was a major Disney star.
Now it seem the remnants of Robin Hood are all but gone only an occasional pin, and the character appearences remain (which I admit are pretty steady).
My sons love the movie now, its one of the few "all boy" Disney films. I cannot tell you how many times my kids have told other kids who Friar Tuck was in line for his picture. When the other movies are refered to like in Philharmonic, Kingdom Hearts and Fantasmic you can count on zero Robin Hood knods.
Why the lack of attention for Robin Hood? One of you historians tell me was it a flop?

Cynderella

I LOVE Robin Hood. It's one of my favorite Disney movies. I think it's possible that this movie just didnt get the popularity as some other movies have. I think it is a wonderful movie and I wish they would do more with it. I haven't met any Robin Hood characters in such a long time and it's one of my goals when I go down next month!

ead79

Robin Hood is one of my very favorite Disney movies. Let's hope that the release of the special edition DVD generates interest in Robin Hood for a whole new generation.

jeffcot

Robin Hood unfortunately fell into a period of time (early 70s - late 80s) when interest in the animated features declined both inside and outside the company. This was the time of Aristocats, Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, and Black Cauldron. While there are many who are passionate fans of these films, they were generally given lukewarm reviews when intitially released, Robin Hood included.

The place I've seen these characters at most frequently is the UK at Epcot.

arielbabe

i love robin hood so much i cant even begin to think how many times ive seen it my favourite characters are the little rabbits and their tortorse friend and maid marian and when i go and visit my family in the north of the uk we always drive past sherwood forest :)

Growing up, Robin Hood was favorite along with Peter Pan. As was stated earlier, it's unfortunate time period release made it fall on the dear ears of the public. Also, as great as it is, it's also the Disney film that's been done by sooooooo many studios with great sucess, such as the Errol Flynn version, Prince of Thieves, Sean Connery's Robin and Marian, Men in Tights, etc... The reason that it doesn't get put in stuff like Philharmagic and stuff like that is it's lack of memorable music. It's a great film, but has a few things against it that never allowed it to rise to great heights. It's too bad.

Ciciwoowoo

Robin Hood was always one of my favorites.

Every time we hear that dumb chipmunk song on the radio, I have to point out to my son the music was in Robin Hood too.

(He's quite sick of me saying it)

Cynderella

I always loved the "Ooh da lally Ooh da lally Golly what a day" song. By the way, when is this special edition supposed to come out?

tink81

I saw Friar Tuck AND Robin Hood on my trip in September and I saw Robin Hood twice when I was there in Jan 2005! The lines to get pictures with these characters were so long, we didn't bother, but I would love to get a pic with Robin Hood as that is my favorite Disney movie!

barnum42

Oodallally!

Loved the film. I have a very worn VHS copy of it :D

It has one of my favourite lines from any film in it:

"I've got a dirty thumb" :lol:

Hobnail Boot

I LOVE this movie. Growing up, I watched it whenever I had a chance. I personally think that the flim would make for a great dark ride; I even designed one and put it in my Roller Coaster Tycoon park. I called it "The Adventurous Tail of Robin Hood." I really wish the movie hadn't fallen in that period of animation drought because it deserves far more respect than it receives. When I saw the special edition preview on my Little Mermaid DVD I nearly lept out of my chair. Can't wait for it!

gboiler1

Robin Hood has always been one of my favs. I remember going to the local theater when it came out. I even have the soundtrack on LP! Great Britain would be a good place to add a RH ride, although I know others would go nuts if that happened. Perhaps a Sherwood Forest section in GB w/a dark ride.

rbrower

Bye the way, you can now meet Robin Hood and Friar Tuck in Adventureland at a certain time (I think that it is before 5pm) I am pretty sure that it is across from the treehouse but I can't remember exactly.

holden

Robin Hood was always one of my favorites too. It's very fun and whimsical and the animals/voice talent they chose to portray the characters were absolutely perfect; I still remember how shocked and sad it made me when I saw the Sheriff of Nottingham tax the family and steal from the blind guy (who turned out to be Robin Hood, of course, but still) when I first watched it as a little kid.

the-reason14

I remember seeing Robin Hood on the disney channel a LONG time ago.(well not really long compared to most members here life span, but long for a 17 yo) I really really enjoyed it. I bought the golden edition dvd last year sometime as apart of my collection, and must say while it is a good movie, it failed at an attempt in being a really great movie. Most of the movies in the 70s are really charming and heartwarming like the aristocats, pooh, the rescuers, but they all reuse alot of the same imagery several times within the film. Theres really no big somewhat, "showstopping" singing number that helps us understand the characters. But I like the movies released in the 70s because of that, and the musicals released in the 90s because of that.

But hopefully robin hood can be used a little more after this release.

MKCP 1985

I've been making periodic trips to WDW ever since 1972 and can't ever remember a time when Robin Hood and other characters from the movie didn't make appearances in the Magic Kingdom. Little John, the Sherriff of Nottingham and Prince John used to be more common, but at least they still run Friar Tuck out there with Robin Hood, even if many don't know who the friendly friar is. :D

I agree this film has not gotten its due over the years. jeffcot has summed up the reasons very well. Still, there are some classic scenes and art work from that movie that hold up very well. The shuffle in the rain of the raccoon chain gang under the watchful eye of the Sherriff is one of my all time favorites.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
I too have thought a dark ride would be great but why not a dark ride that features alot of the forgotten Disney films? Like Merlin's book zaps the riders through a mystical journey through time and space and into Sherwood Forrest, Baker Street, on the back of Orville w/ the Rescuers, etc thwarting the plans of Pete or Maleficent.
Hopefully the movie release will encourage the re-appearence of Little John and the Sherrif to more common appearences. Our family for one has seen Friar Tuck 4 of 5 trips for meet and greets, but Robin only once.
We were there last week and saw Tuck outside animal kingdom no Robin at all except for the parade.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
I too have thought a dark ride would be great but why not a dark ride that features alot of the forgotten Disney films? Like Merlin's book zaps the riders through a mystical journey through time and space and into Sherwood Forrest, Baker Street, on the back of Orville w/ the Rescuers, etc thwarting the plans of Pete or Maleficent.
Hopefully the movie release will encourage the re-appearence of Little John and the Sherrif to more common appearences. Our family for one has seen Friar Tuck 4 of 5 trips for meet and greets, Pince John twice but Robin only once.
We were there last week and saw Tuck outside animal kingdom no Robin at all except for the parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom