Robin Hood

Tweedle Adie

All I have to say is speed up the opening song and you have the hamster dance... If the movie was a flop no one would have found the song to create the hamster dance.

Golly what a day!

mkepcotmgmak

Robin Hood is at the top of my list for favorite Disney DVDs. I would LOVE to see a Robin Hood Dark Ride... a flume, probably... like Splash Mountain...

Robin Hood and Little John walking through the forest..... oode lally oo de lally golly what a day!

Plutoboy

I cannot remember where I heard it or read it but I believe they looked at making an attraction at one time about Robin Hood but they ultimately decided there wasn't enough of a story line to make a good ride out of it. I believe it was an interview with Tony Baxter but don't quote me on that.

I too love the Robin Hood movie. Prince John is probably one of my favorite Disney Villains.

barnum42

Slight drift - there is a new BBC Robin in the forest:

robin_hood.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/robinhood/

JCrane

It seems to be the general view throughout this thread but Robin Hood is up there with my very favourite Disney movies too...

During my last visit (2002) I managed some photo opps with Little John, Friar Tuck and Prince John all in Adventureland funnily enough...couldn't explain it at the time but was glad for the oppurtunity!

I've always wondered why Disney can't have a regular stream of CM's in character get-up constantly navigating the parks relevant area's. I could think of a whole host of other favourites I've either never seen or only catch in parades!

On topic, but slightly off I suppose...I've always been curious as to the lack of coverage Bedknobs and Broomsticks receives? It probably has everything to do with the fact it was essentially a British film and has a lenghty soccer scene (one of my all-time favourite moments) but was it a commercial flop back in the day? Only, I think it's a fantastic movie...it certainly has an entertaining soundtrack and loveable charcters, both animated and real-life.

Anyone have any info on that!?

Rosenrot

:lookaroun That would be AMAZING...

...Robin Hood is by far my favorite Disney movie, and you're right, it doesn't seem to get much attention...

...and then, neither does my second favorite o_O The Sword and the Stone...though I did manage to get it on DVD.

I still need Robin Hood, though.

slappy magoo

Oh no...

OH NO...

FLASHBAAAAAACK!!!

I was in 5th. grade. The school play was some sort of (I think) Disney-authorized version of THEIR version of Robin Hood, including use of the songs. I was Prince John, with a Sir Hiss sock puppet. My first scene begins. There's a giant canvas flat behind me, painted to look like my throne and the palace behind it. It was at least 12 feet high. And it wasn't secured. I was in what we in the biz call a "stage freeze" while the narrator of the play gave a little bit of exposition on what kind of a turd Prince John was. And the canvas flat sloooooowly starts to fall forward. And cracks me on the head. I get the wooden border of the frame, all filled with kid friendly staples and splinters, on the back of my skull. I see stars. Everyone in the audience thinks it's part of the show (hey, abusing kids for laughs? Why not? It's the seventies, baby!), and they're all cracking up.

I'm in pain, I'm comfused, I'm embarrassed. And everyone is pointing and laughing. If I were Carrie White, everyone in the audience would be so dead. But I'm not, so I put my head down and try not to cry.

Then come the chorus of "awwwws." Big sarcastic "awwwws" because, again, everyone is so doped up on downers and "roller skaters' high" in the seventies, they all think this part of the show. I'm the local answer to Chevy Chase. Finally, the curtain is closed as the teachers' make sure I'm not bleeding, and finally everyone gets it through their thick heads that I wasn't pulling a Buster Keaton and breaking my neck and back for their amusement. Once I get my cr@p together, the narrator comes out and says Prince John is OK, and the show can continue. I get applause from the audience's shameful guilty filthy hands, and the show, as it always must...goes on.

I HATE Robin Hood.

Ok, I actually like Robin Hood, but I always have a twinge of memory when I watch it. And I'm really more well-adjusted about my 5th-grade ordeal than that, but if you're gonna tell a story, ya gots ta sell it, baby! It's all true, but I can see the humor in it now...

...from the comfort of my padded cell...

And one day, I'll get a picture taken with Prince John, and the circle will be complete. My own little Hakuna Mutata...

Android-XS

:lookaroun That would be AMAZING...

...Robin Hood is by far my favorite Disney movie, and you're right, it doesn't seem to get much attention...

...and then, neither does my second favorite o_O The Sword and the Stone...though I did manage to get it on DVD.

I still need Robin Hood, though.

The Sword and the Stone is one of my favorites too, and ideas when it may be released again?

PencilTest

Man, I watched Robin Hood all the freakin' time growing up. In fact, that and The Fox and the Hound are two of my all-time favorite movies, both from the same period. I love the "sketchy" backgrounds and animation. Heck, I even have "Oo-De-Lally" and "The Best of Friends" on my iPod.

JimboJones123

Robin Hood characters actually get quite a bit of play in the parks. Almost as much as Pinoccio as charactars that are seen but don't have any attractions or merch. to fall back on. I am really suprised always seeing Robin Hood and Pinoccio characters as much as we do when we go.

Wonderlicious

Wasn't there a Robin Hood attraction planned for the theme parks at one time? If anybody knows about this, can you post a description of it here?

Anyway, I love Robin Hood. I like nearly all the animated films (or films with animation in them) made inbetween The Jungle Book and Who Framed Roger Rabbit/The Little Mermaid, but I feel that of this period, it is this film that captures that magical feel that the older Disney classics had, as it is the only film from this period that's a musical based directly on a classic tale (I know Oliver and Company is a musical based on a famous book as well, but it isn't a classic adaptation but more a re-thinking). It's a moderately popular picture; not as much as Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Cinderella etc, but most people I know like this film, so aside from the rather frequent character appearances, it could do with some park references, even in the moderately tiny form of a shop or restaurant in Fantasyland or the UK pavilion at Epcot, or a stage show along the lines of Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

Nicole

Add me to the list of those who claim Robin Hood as a favorite Disney movie.

Our family's favorite line is: "Seize the fat one!"

We have met Robin, Friar Tuck and Prince John so far. I'd love to meet Maid Marian and Little John.

jeffcot

On topic, but slightly off I suppose...I've always been curious as to the lack of coverage Bedknobs and Broomsticks receives? It probably has everything to do with the fact it was essentially a British film and has a lenghty soccer scene (one of my all-time favourite moments) but was it a commercial flop back in the day? Only, I think it's a fantastic movie...it certainly has an entertaining soundtrack and loveable charcters, both animated and real-life.

Anyone have any info on that!?

It did poorly during its initial release. They cut 20 minutes out of it for its 1979 re-release, but ultimately restored the footage in the 90s for video/dvd releases. With it and Pete's Dragon, they were trying to recreate the success of Mary Poppin, and both films could never live up to those lofty expectations. Pete's Dragon was the more succesful of the two, and Elliot was defintirely a presence at WDW during the 70s. He still lives on in the MSEP.

Another note about Robin Hood--(and to correct my ealier post)--while it did meet with generally mixed reviews, it was a big box office success. According to Maltin's book The Disney Films. When released in 1973, " . . . it was the biggest box-office hit of any Disney animated feature to date."

rbrower

I would love to have a Robin Hood attraction!
I would also like to have one for the fox and the hound! I love that movie! Plus, they are coming out with the remastered version and a sequel so it is te perfect time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom