Robbed at Disney

shelleylea

Our safe was robbed this last week, they took about $325. Everything was very neat, it didn't even look like there was anything out of place. On Tuesday before we left for the parks, we took out some cash, and on Wednesday when we went back for more, there was several bills missing. When we talked to the front desk, they said that they would check the work orders to see if another key was made. Does this happen alot?!??!?

PigletIsMyCat

I have a few things to say on this matter.

First of all, my mother just moved down here and got a job as a front desk hostess at Disney. She works in all three of the All Star Resorts. Last week, she was working in ASMovies when a gentlman approached her and stated that $100 in cash had been stolen from his wife's wallet, which they had left in the safe while they went to dinner. Since she is earning her ears, she referred it to her FSA and knows nothing more of the matter.

Secondly, from what I've heard from housekeepers, there is a keyed lock on each door that is openable with a master key in most resorts. Personally, while staying at AKL, I have seen housekeeping open three doors with the same key.

From what I've been told, each safe key is linked to the room it is in, but normally not any cast member has access to just any key, especially safe keys. To get keys like that, the CM has to log in to a lock box that houses all the keys using either their ID card or a cm-specific pin code. This is common practice in both maintenance and engineering, and I have seen these lock boxes in the front desk offices in almost every resort. For room keys, any front desk host/ess can recut a keycard, but there will be a record of it in the computer system if they replace a lost/stolen card or cut a duplicate for some reason.

Each housekeeper only has, like, 8 or 10 rooms to clean each day, so if it was mousekeeping, they'd narrow it down pretty quick. WDW does extensive background checks on employees and fingerprints every employee.

Personally, we have never had anything go missing from any of our visits to WDW and we always used the room safe. If you are planning on using large amounts of cash, travelers checks are the way to go, and you can easily cash them anywhere: front desk, restaurant, even the ice cream vendors are capable of accepting travelers checks. If the OP stays on the management at ASMovies, she should be at least comped with a free night or something eventually.

Upvote 0

Audioman96

Well I'm sorry your misinformed, in fact in most states and at least in mine, theft over $250 is considered a felony and EVERY case reported to local police is assigned to the robbery division and IS investigated.

Let us not forget who the "local" police are. Reedy Creek, an agent of the state of FL and essentially an agent of Disney, has jurisdiction over crimes on WDW property. They have a history of "internally" dealing with crimes, as well as handling criminal matters as civil matters/WDC liability mitigation.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Let us not forget who the "local" police are. Reedy Creek, an agent of the state of FL and essentially an agent of Disney, has jurisdiction over crimes on WDW property. They have a history of "internally" dealing with crimes, as well as handling criminal matters as civil matters/WDC liability mitigation.

:veryconfu

Upvote 0

Joepic

As long as you keep track of your room keys, and make sure your door closes, how else may someody 'break in'? I'm not saying it could have been the housekeepers, because I'm sure Disney is very strict about that...I just can't see who else it could have been.

Upvote 0

ThumpersThought

Um... No. While Reedy Creek does supply much of the safety, they do not supply police. Orange County is the primary police presence on property. Neat creation of an urban legend, though!

Upvote 0

Icegoaliemom29

Its sad to see all these new site members who have experienced such awfull things, I hope the positive things posted here go some way to restoring the good name of Disney.

I must say I spent one aftenoon at the food and wine festival at Epcot drinking my way around the World Showcase. The following morning I discovered to my horror that someone had snuck in my room whilst I was sleeping and taken all the cash I had taken out the day previous. Not only that they must have hit my head and shoved something nasty in my mouth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine that!:goodnevil

Upvote 0

disney9752

i think the biggest 2 points, plan safely, either use credit cards, room charge or travelers checks & that disney has a way trying to keep things quiet. while RCID doesnt supply law enforcenemnt at wdw, disney security does have a way of trying to keep things quiet & not call in orange county when possible. many folks may recall years ago disney security vans & cars looked more like police cars, had red lights on top, security would run radar on world drive & ticket cm's, whether it was a traffic fine or something in their file i dont recall. and, someone may recall disney security chasing someone from the contemporary i believe, behind mk, past disney university & cast parking out on to reams rd where the person crashed & got killed, & the parents attempted to sue disney.:eek:

Upvote 0

JikoMarie

A couple of years ago we found a big bag of souvenirs on the back seat of the bus on its way to Fort Wilderness, no one cliamed them so hooraaa....spooky

I don't understand. Did you turn the bag in?

I never use cash at the parks, so I leave it at home. The recommendation I make to all travelers is to either charge to your room and just pay it when you get home or buy gift cards and keep them on you. The amounts get really large, and they can be used everywhere in the parks. Carrying cash in that amount away from home is simply courting trouble (Not that it was your fault, I just don't like to tempt fate!)

I am really surprised at the number of people who take cash on vacation (or who still use cash in general). I just take my credit card everywhere. Before I go, I put all the money I have saved on to my credit card. At Disney, you would really only ever need to use your credit card once - at the front desk when they link it to your room key.

Upvote 0

POOHKILLEDTOAD

they made it sound as if it wouldn't help to call the police, that the security was good enough. I wish that we had though. It would have been better the the little slip of paper with a number on it that we got instead.[/QUO

I'm a cop here in florida. First of all you were the victim of a burglary and a grand theft, not robbed. (just a small pet peeve). second of all, i'm sure the safe had a textured surface. if it did, you cannot lift prints. (I don't care what they do on CSI). What I'm trying to say is, don't beat yourself over not reporting it, there really isn't much law enforcement could have done for you. At most, a detective may have been able to interview housekeeping. the only way you could have gotten your money back is through either 1) a civil agreement. or 2) an arrest with a conviction and restitution ordered.
not trying to sound like a jerk, I"m just tring to help you feel better.

Upvote 0

POOHKILLEDTOAD

Well, I'm not privy to the realities of law enforcement to know how far anyone will get, but per Florida's website (had to do some digging), here's legally where this theft would fall:

"(c) It is grand theft of the third degree and a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property stolen is:
1. Valued at $300 or more, but less than $5,000.
2. ..."

So, this would definitely be a felony charge. That said, I echo some of the questions that others had raised, in that I don't understand how the CMs thought that the thief got into the room? The response above indicates that they thought that someone made a duplicate key for the safe, which sure, I could see. But how would a non-CM get into the room in the first place without forcing their way in? Something smells fishy with this - I would have totally pushed things further (and still would) - having money stolen from a hotel room safe while the room is locked and the safe is locked is totally unacceptable. Even if you couldn't get the money back and the thief couldn't be found, I'm sure Disney would have done something eventually to smooth things over...

burglary of a dwelling fs 810.02. grand theft fs 812.014. normally grand theft is anything taken over 300 dollars unless it's during a burglary of a dwelling...then it's only 100 dollars before it's grand theft. that doesn't iinclude things like firearms, cars, fire extinguishers, wills, (and many more) that are considered grand theft reguardless of value.

775's deal with what the punishments for misdemeanors and felonies.

Upvote 0

POOHKILLEDTOAD

actually I believe the locals are the O.C.S.O. besides, in florida you can always request the sheriff's office.

Upvote 0

shelleylea

Original Poster
i finally got to talk to someone today, he said that another company had entered our room from a luggage delivery company, we didn't use any baggage handlers at all, and disney didn't hire thieves they hired cleaning crews. And Disney doesn't pay for criminal acts. In other words I'm never going to see money or anything because some moron happened to came in to my room and happened to steal my money from a locked safe.

Upvote 0

SallyfromDE

My neice was down on a school trip. They stayed at POR, several of the kids had things stolen. Like shorts, tops. I don't think anyone had money taken. At first, they thought something had been misplaced. But when they started to compare notes..... The school reported it to the resort, security I guess. After they got home, the school was notified that they had fired the maid. I don't know the particulars, but she said she did it.

Upvote 0

SallyfromDE

my husband went first thing in the morning after it happened and talked to a new CM, which called security. Security came down gave my husband a claim number on the back of a piece of paper. The next morning he went back and talked to the manager, who didn't know anything about it, and the manager filed another type of claim and informed us that we were not going to get any paperwork on this because this is an internal problem and disney doesn't release internal paperwork. everyone we talked to didn't want to get involved, they would say that is not our job and there is nothing they could do to help us.:brick:we called the claim number, and got a pencil pusher and was told to wait 5-7 days. So now I'm waiting.

I would think that it's hard to trace cash. I'm not saying this is your case, but anyone can go to them and say they had money stolen in the hopes of getting something for nothing.

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

I don't understand. Did you turn the bag in?

I am really surprised at the number of people who take cash on vacation (or who still use cash in general). I just take my credit card everywhere. Before I go, I put all the money I have saved on to my credit card. At Disney, you would really only ever need to use your credit card once - at the front desk when they link it to your room key.

I use cash because I collect change to fill one those 5 gallon water things :) Can't get change with plastic

Upvote 0

ilovepluto23

That's very unfortunate, sorry to hear this happened to you.:(

We've used the safes at All Star Movies and OKW, never had a problem.
Of course, the majority of what I use on my trips are traveler's checks...so it wouldn't have really done anyone any good to try to rob mine.

I carry very little cash b/c in 2006 I somehow lost $200 in cash which was in a little wallet with no ID or anything...think it fell out of my backpack at some point in time. Really sucked.

You may want to consider using traveler's checks along with cash next trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom