RnRc Retheme?

Robbiem

Could they theoretically "black box" it and make it a blank slate coaster primed for whatever IP they can throw at it every 4 months? I mean, the actual theming on the coaster is sparse. Would a flavor of the month overlay keep things interesting?

I like this idea. Realistically anything they replace the current ride with would have screens so go full on and use something like the sphere tech from las vegas to make a ride you can swap out for seasonal overlays or to promote the latest movie. I could easily imagine a haunted mansion holiday style nightmare before Christmas overlay, hyperspace mountain, Indiana Jones, avatar banshee flight, doctor strange multiverse, aliens etc. you could even keep an aerosmith overlay to play into the nostalgia

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I like this idea. Realistically anything they replace the current ride with would have screens so go full on and use something like the sphere tech from las vegas to make a ride you can swap out for seasonal overlays or to promote the latest movie. I could easily imagine a haunted mansion holiday style nightmare before Christmas overlay, hyperspace mountain, Indiana Jones, avatar banshee flight, doctor strange multiverse, aliens etc. you could even keep an aerosmith overlay to play into the nostalgia
It's not ideal but it would allow them to change it to whatever IP is hot or to a property they'd want to promote. It's a coaster, so people are gonna flock to it anyway. - some exec. It's very corporate and to that notion, more realistic than "Roger Rabbit" or another IP that would work perfectly. Cynical, I know. But it would keep it fresh.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
the popularity of the ride has no need for "flavor Of The Month to keep it interesting"...it just needs a new theme, some fresh visuals and it is ready to go. Maybe something that feels a little more "Hollywood" or Disney....

Since Roger Rabbit is a no go... and we still want to get that "Hollywood" aspect in there before "Hollywood Studios" drops the theme entirely. How about this:

A launched roller coaster attraction themed to Disney's "Epic Mickey" with a preshow of animator asleep at their desk when Mickey Mouse suddenly leaps out from his animation cel to begin a bit of ink and paint mischief. The onboard coaster music is Electro Swing with the exterior of the attraction resembling Disney's Animation Studios. The ride takes guests on a journey through a toony dystopian version of the Golden Age of Hollywood where forgotten Disney creations of the past including Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, are being tormented by the evil Shadow Blot, the monstrous being Mickey accidentally created using the animator's brush during the preshow. The coaster would features a nightmare-fueled dreamscape tied to the video game franchise and the 1933 classic cartoon "The Mad Doctor." Guests will experience the twisted terrain of "The Wasteland" and meet some of Mickey and Oswald's foes before Mickey (with the help of Oswald) ultimately triumph over evil.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Could they theoretically "black box" it and make it a blank slate coaster primed for whatever IP they can throw at it every 4 months? I mean, the actual theming on the coaster is sparse. Would a flavor of the month overlay keep things interesting?
Definitely a viable idea. The only problem is that it would take them 5 years to install it, even though the engineering and install would probably only need 6 months to complete and implement.

SpectreJordan

I'm not big on the "black box" idea, it sounds incredibly soulless. This is something that Six Flags & Sea World can do, Disney & Universal need to stay far away from it. It sounds like it could lead to theme parks going in a bad direction.

Now RnRC isn't a shining beacon of theming or anything. But I think even doing this to a poorly themed ride like RnRC would set a bad precedent.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm not big on the "black box" idea, it sounds incredibly soulless. This is something that Six Flags & Sea World can do, Disney & Universal need to stay far away from it. It sounds like it could lead to theme parks going in a bad direction.

Now RnRC isn't a shining beacon of theming or anything. But I think even doing this to a poorly themed ride like RnRC would set a bad precedent.
Agreed.

SpectreJordan

Yeah. In my imagination I can see a version of the black box approach that’s really cool and far better than what’s there now. But then I think about what it’s more likely to be and I’m less excited about the whole idea.
It'll probably just end up like the Avengers retheme in Paris. On paper, retheming RnRC to be about Iron Man is perfect but they just half***ed that project as much as physically possible.

DisneyCane

I like this idea. Realistically anything they replace the current ride with would have screens so go full on and use something like the sphere tech from las vegas
There is zero chance they will spend the money to do something like that for a retheme. Maybe something like Cosmic Rewind projections.

JohnD

mattpeto

Car Driving GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom