RnRC New Theme Discussion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There's a worrying trend materialising about "overlays" as opposed to new build. The mess going in Epcot aside, there's the end of sunset and a few other places I can't discuss yet that are being looked at for retrofitting. Not updating, refurbing or modernising but attempting to add a new experience without spending what they should.

What happened to the blessing of size?

Haymarket2008

RnRC is an awesome attraction. A must-do. But despite some really cool theming (namely the loading area), this does eventually need an update. I don't ride it because I'm an Aerosmith fan, I ride it because it's a great roller coaster set to rock music. Guardians would fit the bill quite nicely and it would enhance the experience, imho.

doctornick

There's a worrying trend materialising about "overlays" as opposed to new build. The mess going in Epcot aside, there's the end of sunset and a few other places I can't discuss yet that are being looked at for retrofitting. Not updating, refurbing or modernising but attempting to add a new experience without spending what they should.

What happened to the blessing of size?

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Way too much time has been spend "replacing" rather than "expanding" at WDW despite ample space.

I think RnR is a rare exception that might actually benefit from a new theme, but that should be a rare case not the typical plans.

CaptainAmerica

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Way too much time has been spend "replacing" rather than "expanding" at WDW despite ample space.
I've said this before in other threads, but the impediment to expansion at WDW is not physical space, but the average amount of time an American family spends on vacation. Disney could build eight gates and they're still not going to get the majority of families to stay for more than the week they're already staying. When DHS and DAK are complete, I think there's enough at WDW to fill a full week with little to no downtime. Then the focus should be on improving the quality of what's offered (looking at you, Future World) rather than adding more.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Personally, I agree that a new ride would be best. However, RnRC will need new hosts soon regardless. This would be far better than the old Miley Cyrus rumor and the ride has always been and would continue to be corny. But that works perfectly with GotG.

If the company is hellbent on an overlay, this is worlds ahead of ToT. Whereas Guardians of the Rock would be a net plus for my vacation, Guardians of the Tower would be a travesty.

doctornick

I've said this before in other threads, but the impediment to expansion at WDW is not physical space, but the average amount of time an American family spends on vacation. Disney could build eight gates and they're still not going to get the majority of families to stay for more than the week they're already staying. When DHS and DAK are complete, I think there's enough at WDW to fill a full week with little to no downtime. Then the focus should be on improving the quality of what's offered (looking at you, Future World) rather than adding more.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not like people have to do everything at the parks every trip. It's okay to have additional things that are missed than can be done on the next trip -- it encourages repeat business. Furthermore, additional attractions allows for crowds to be spread out and (theoretically) lower wait times which makes for more positive experiences for guests.

Basically put, I think WDW has a while to go to get to the point where it's just at the point you are suggesting. Especially with DHS.

stretchsje

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But if there were a new themed land going in that area, then it would be broken theming. My approval depends upon what else is going to happen in that area. Unlike the ToT-GotG overlay rumor, I can at least see a Guardians overlay working successfully here.

The Star Wars overlay for Space Mountain was/is a hit, after all.

Last edited:

SirLink

So I received a rumor and have the go-ahead to share. I know most of us were quite disturbed by a plan to convert ToT over to a Guardians of the Galaxy theme.

I received word that for DHS anyway, one possible plan would be a much more logical retrofit of RnRC. With rumors of an Aerosmith farewell tour in 2017, the time is ideal for a remodel where guests hear some of Star-Lord's mixtape as they whiz through (static) scenes from the film.

To me, this is a much more reasonable idea that could easily be overlayed in 6 months or less.

Thoughts?

Heard of retheme possibly in the works to bring ToT and RnRC more thematically similar. Take your bets now I guess.

Mike S

I would prefer this plan.
Much more preferable to GotToT but a new ride trumps both.
The Star Wars musical overlay was fun on RnRC, the problem (if you want Star Wars there) is that RnRC is plenty fun as is.
Just looked it up. One night only? Garbage. Meanwhile Disneyland gets HyperSpace Mountain :facepalm:

Well, they could use Big Hero 6 as well. But I agree with your point -- in fact, they couldn't use the name "Marvel" at all, so it would defeat the point of a land themed to Marvel stuff.

I think more realistically would be some sort of "action" or "adventure" or "hero" themed land that featured GotG among other potential options.
Guardians, BH6, Incredibles, etc.

That would make for a good land.
It wouldn't be to get them to stay longer. It would be to get them to stay again.

Last edited:

Crazydisneyfanluke

Much more preferable to GotToT but a new ride trumps both.

Just looked it up. One night only? Garbage. Meanwhile Disneyland gets HyperSpace Mountain :facepalm:

Guardians, BH6, Incredibles, etc.

That would make for a good land.

It wouldn't be to get them to stay longer. It would be to get them to stay again.

I attended that event. It was an amazing ride. Glad i got to experience it in person!

AndyS2992

I'm fine with a retheme of RnR since I'm not much of a fan of Aerosmith and the theme of the coaster and story is kinda thin to begin with. On the other hand, they dare touch ToT and I will be p*ssed. I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan and I think the ride is pretty much perfect as it is.

seabreezept813

It is the lesser of two evils and thematically it doesn't necessarily fit, but I like having a nod to the music industry and I'm a loyal Aerosmith fan so I'd rather they leave it alone. Too bad they can't do a night on bald mountain ride and make that area a villains/spooky area. I do feel like there won't be enough, if any, Disney properties at the park now that the Animation area is shut down.

Mickey1968

It is the lesser of two evils and thematically it doesn't necessarily fit, but I like having a nod to the music industry and I'm a loyal Aerosmith fan so I'd rather they leave it alone. Too bad they can't do a night on bald mountain ride and make that area a villains/spooky area. I do feel like there won't be enough, if any, Disney properties at the park now that the Animation area is shut down.

I have only been sort of loosely following the rumors and news for DHS but I like this idea. A Fantasia-themed dark, roller coaster might be pretty cool. Night on Bald Mountain is the best part of the whole movie. I tossed out the question in one of the forums I was reading the other day, "what if they redid F! to be an all villains show?" It would have to replace F! though because I can't see them doing an outdoor villain show in the daytime. With the popularity of Villains Unleashed and Club Villain, they could turn that whole end of Sunset into a Villain's Lair or something. That would be awesome! I am not real sure how ToT would fit in except it is creepy and scary. I would hate to see them change a single cobweb on ToT!

*Q*

RnR and ToT are in no need of any changes - both are hugely popular and successful. For me the time and money would be far better spent elsewhere.

I would typically agree, but I was lucky enough to ride the Star Wars version of the ride during the premiere party a few months ago, and I was surprised by how much of a breath of fresh air it was. This particular attraction might be a good candidate for regularly switching out music and effects and stuff.

Some would argue RnRC isn't stale to begin with.

There again some would also say it's cheap already.

Yeah, they could certainly do a lot more with the sets on the coaster itself, and add some effects and things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom