RnRC New Theme Discussion

disneygeek90

To be fair, everything so far has been hypothetical. All that is there so far is just a meet and greet that was only added last week.
Yeah, but we’ve already seen it happening in DL. There’s rumors about the Energy pavilion (which I think is basically confirmed?) and now RnRC and people are talking about a land or own park? I don’t know, I know I’m biased, but if there was going to be a new land/ride/park, I would literally rather it be anything but GotG. However, I think they could make an awesome BH6 work in RnRc quite nicely if they wanted.

disneygeek90

I am not a Marvel (in the parks) fan. Knowing that Disney wants Guardians in WDW, that would be my pick. It would be tasteful and welcomed. It would also, more importantly, save Tower and the integrity of Epcot.
If they do a good job with it, then I could deal. But until then my reaction with anything GotG is nothing more than a “meh.”

Bolt

Yeah, but we’ve already seen it happening in DL. There’s rumors about the Energy pavilion (which I think is basically confirmed?) and now RnRC and people are talking about a land or own park? I don’t know, I know I’m biased, but if there was going to be a new land/ride/park, I would literally rather it be anything but GotG. However, I think they could make an awesome BH6 work in RnRc quite nicely if they wanted.
Literally anything? I mean - the movies are still pretty good.

*Q*

I don’t understand everyone’s obsession with having GotG all over the park. Nothing could disinterest me more. Though admittedly, I am not a superhero fan whatsoever, it feels like no one can get away from this for some reason.
I think the point is that everyone doesn't want it all over the park, most people would prefer just to have it in Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Marc Davis Fan

1. The most important thing is to not mess up the incredible theming/aesthetics Sunset Blvd. and especially the area near ToT.

2. Considering the above, a thoughtful retheme of RnRC could correct its significant flaws (tacky "cartoon cutouts," the too-obvious "limo," etc). RnRC is not an immersive/believable attraction. Something that fixes those flaws could make it a much better attraction. If it's GotG, perhaps the story can take place in Hollywood, and thus allow the building to fit the theming of the area.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I think the point is that everyone doesn't want it all over the park, most people would prefer just to have it in Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.
I guess I would rather have it in none. But if we can just hide it in RnRC, it wouldn't be the worst option.

Rossonl

I feel like it's been mentioned somewhere, can anyone tell me if it's possible to build on behind RnRC? If so it could be the first in a differently themed 'land' and Hollywood Blvd could remain safe. (Wishful thinking)

Bolt

I feel like it's been mentioned somewhere, can anyone tell me if it's possible to build on behind RnRC? If so it could be the first in a differently themed 'land' and Hollywood Blvd could remain safe. (Wishful thinking)
No - Sunset Showcase was added in that parking area.

roj2323

No - Sunset Showcase was added in that parking area.
To be fair Sunset showcase is just a large empty building that could easily be turned into any number of different style attractions. I think for a while (next 5-10 years) it will stay a multi purpose event building but long term, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see it repurposed into an attraction building. Note: this is just my personal thoughts, I don't know of any projects along these lines for this space currently.

Goofyernmost

I have very, very little interest in them. I know that is a widely unpopular opinion, though.
Although I agree with you and am definitely not a "superhero" fan and haven't been since I hit puberty and Superman stopped doing new shows on TV, I wouldn't have any objection to GotG being put in RnRC. I liked Aerosmith, but, they have run their time and I don't see how putting GotG in there instead would hurt anything. I will have to wait and see because I only have a peripheral view of what GotG does for a living. But replacing day-glow props with something else should be quite easy.
1. The most important thing is to not mess up the incredible theming/aesthetics Sunset Blvd. and especially the area near ToT.
Help me out here. I see absolutely no connection between RnRC and ToT now or ever. What is the consistency of theming/aesthetics that has you worried? They are two separate unrelated things now, what would change? Having RnRC and Tot side by side could not be more disjointed, in my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, since this rumor popped up a year ago, we've had a significant bit of insight into Disney's current mindset. It appears that...

DHS is to be a park that features Disney IPs. Period. It's not about movie making or movies in general, but it's about the experience of being in a movie, and almost certainly, a movie owned by Disney.

We know this because TGMR is going to become a Mickey ride, and much sooner than later. And if TGMR is becoming Disney-IP-ified, and if that sacred cow (to some) is being touched, then what hope is there that the remaining non-Disney-IP-based rides aren't also going to change over?

The writing is on the wall, it's not a matter if RnRC is going to get a Disney overlay, it's a matter of when.

And after Disney sees if the hate for Anaheim's ToT overlay is going to calm down once it opens, then I don't see how ToT can survive. It won't be GotG (probably), but, Doctor Strange is a good fit (the exterior would hardly have to be touched). OR... Disney can outright buy TZ and make it their own.

Marc Davis Fan

Help me out here. I see absolutely no connection between RnRC and ToT now or ever. What is the consistency of theming/aesthetics that has you worried? They are two separate unrelated things now, what would change? Having RnRC and Tot side by side could not be more disjointed, in my opinion.

RnRC is deliberately set back from the boulevard so that it's not as noticeable as it could be been when one is walking towards ToT. The entrance archway also uses a color scheme and style that's prevalent in real Hollywood and DHS (partly Art Deco inspired, etc). It follows the area's theme as an entrance to a recording studio lot just off Sunset Blvd, with its Art Deco (ish) archway, whimsical "car/guitar" sculpture, etc. (remember, the end of Sunset Blvd takes place in present day, unlike Hollywood Blvd).

If the attraction were changed to have a theme that doesn't fit LA/Hollywood at all (say, a spaceport), built up further so it's visible from all the way down Sunset Blvd and attracts more attention to itself from the ToT area, etc., I think that would be terrible.

So while I agree with you that it's not optimal (I would rather it did not have the guitar sculpture, for example), I also think it's not terrible (e.g., it doesn't ruin Sunset Blvd), and it could be significantly worse (in a way that does ruin Sunset Blvd).

AEfx

As much as I love RnR, and as much as I like Aerosmith, and even that little movie everyone seems to complain about (I'm a sucker for Illeana Douglas, which is also a great nod to Hollywood history - her grandfather was Melvyn Douglas)...I could totally go for this.

Even without GoG, my first instinct has always been that I'd love a jukebox style theme. Aerosmith, again, awesome, and there is some nice variety in there, but there are so many limitless possibilities for other artists and songs. That makes GoG such a natural fit.

Though, similar to what Martin pointed out, I don't know how much I could get behind a redo with more cardboardish cutouts. I'd want...something else. Which leads to what @wdwmagic said - since it does work as-is, it would be nice to see the money go elsewhere, because I wouldn't want a half-baked overlay, either.

The idea does intrigue me, though.

HauntedMansionFLA

As much as I love RnR, and as much as I like Aerosmith, and even that little movie everyone seems to complain about (I'm a sucker for Illeana Douglas, which is also a great nod to Hollywood history - her grandfather was Melvyn Douglas)...I could totally go for this.

Even without GoG, my first instinct has always been that I'd love a jukebox style theme. Aerosmith, again, awesome, and there is some nice variety in there, but there are so many limitless possibilities for other artists and songs. That makes GoG such a natural fit.

Though, similar to what Martin pointed out, I don't know how much I could get behind a redo with more cardboardish cutouts. I'd want...something else. Which leads to what @wdwmagic said - since it does work as-is, it would be nice to see the money go elsewhere, because I wouldn't want a half-baked overlay, either.

The idea does intrigue me, though.
The new video screens used in the new PotC and Avartar are amazing. They could work those in to a pretty cool effect along with good music. Also, what's the flex theatre used for now WWOS has a cheerleading venue? Wasted space.

HauntedMansionFLA

I wouldn't mind a temporary star wars makeover. I rode hyperspace mountain at disneyland a few weeks ago and instantly wish wdw got the same treatment. It was absolutely one of the best times I had at DL.
They do the SW makeover for the special SW events and people seem to really like it. There was a elevator scene in revenge of the sith, so look out Tower of Terror.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom