RnRC having some issues..

denyuntilcaught

The issues are usually related to the launch system, which for its time was an advanced system and not at all standard.
Ah! interesting. I had only figured since multiple duplicates exist around the world which all premiered within the same 1-3 year timeframe.

Makes sense that Disney would customize the product though - and then not know how to fix it.

JoeCamel

RnRC is basically new. Steven Tyler just celebrated his 39th birthday so it can’t be that old.
He got a steroid and B-12 shot. Ready to rock!
I saw Steven Tyler exit the ride with his young lady friend while I was in the gift shop. Between the cheers and shrieks from the females, his young friend could not have been more than 30 years old. Perhaps that's what keeps 70 plus year old Steven looking young!
Sure that wasn't Liv? They ride together often, one of their favorite things to do according to published remarks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It's not iconic enough to move piles of merch or to have produced a film franchise, so as far as Bob is concerned, it ain't iconic. Besides, its easy enough to keep the mountain and stick something else in there. Problem solved!
The Magic Kingdom Festhalle... for the new seasonal festivals and old favorites like Mickey's Not So Scary But Very Expensive Halloween Party, Mickey's Very Merry And Very Expensive Christmas Party, and the new Mickey and Minnie's Genie Plus Grand And Very Expensive Celebration Of Profit.

MrPromey

Doesn’t the age of RnRC and Space create massive insurance issues for Disney?
Disney's been down the road of major roller coaster accidents:

One would like to think they learned their lesson and are at least operating within the realm of safe-if-not-comfortable but then again, there's this so who knows:

lazyboy97o

What did Intimin say about California Screamin?
Back 2005 there was an incident where one train rear ended another. As it started being reported that it was an Intamin ride, Intamin released a statement effectively saying that Disney uses they’re own ride control software and made modifications to the coaster so they’re not involved in how it operates and to them it’s basically somebody else’s coaster. Disney voided the warranty.

TikibirdLand

Disney's been down the road of major roller coaster accidents:

One would like to think they learned their lesson and are at least operating within the realm of safe-if-not-comfortable but then again, there's this so who knows:

Well, at least you found an accident from this millennium... IIRC, Universal had someone fall of the Mummy ride. That was a year after the one you reported though (2004). Someone was struck by an object on Dragon Challenge. Some say that led to that ride's demise. I chalk it up to "moar harry, moar guests".

Frankly, I've been pretty impressed with the big theme park's safety, even as I've complained about their lack of maintenance. I see it as a good thing that RnRC has been down. It means their safety systems are working and forcing them to do the maintenance needed.

lazyboy97o

Well, at least you found an accident from this millennium... IIRC, Universal had someone fall of the Mummy ride. That was a year after the one you reported though (2004). Someone was struck by an object on Dragon Challenge. Some say that led to that ride's demise. I chalk it up to "moar harry, moar guests".

Frankly, I've been pretty impressed with the big theme park's safety, even as I've complained about their lack of maintenance. I see it as a good thing that RnRC has been down. It means their safety systems are working and forcing them to do the maintenance needed.
The death at Revenge of the Mummy was due to a person falling at the station. The incidents at Dragon Challenge were a guest. That is not at all the same as a ride failing due to poor training and poor procedures under the edict of “ride these rides to failure.” It is not the same as a dock rotting due to poor upkeep. It is not the same as a coaster having a structural failure luckily caught overnight.

bcoachable

Probably Not really the right place to ask, but the conversation has steered close enough for me to try:
Lets say a phone falls out of your pocket on Space Mountain... does it have the potential to hit someone below due to track design?
(kinda hard to see in the dark if this is even remotly a possibility)

John park hopper

You go to WDW and pay a high price to actually ride the rides and then they are not running for whatever reason and people just accept it. Suppose you went to a 5 star restaurant and paid a high price for a meal and they serve you a plate of cold beans because the ovens were down --most people would not accept it yet they give Disney a pass

Last edited:

JMcMahonEsq

You go to WDW and pay a high price to actually ride the rides and then they are not running for whatever reason and people just accept it. Suppose you went to a 5 star and paid a high price for a meal and they serve you a plate of cold beans because the ovens were down --most people would not accept it yet they give Disney a pass
Probably because most people understand the apples and baseballs comparison you just tried to make and realize they are nothing alike.

Are there times when a ride or 2 are down at the parks, of course. And you want as a policy to encourage that to happen. If you financially incentivize keeping rides running at all costs, then that’s what will happen, even in unsafe conditions. Why do you think the airlines are allowed to cancel and delay flights for weather or basically whatever reason they want with limited to no financial repercussions? It’s not bc the government or the market loves airlines. It’s that they don’t trust them, and it’s better to have the public have to put up with the cancellations without refunds, then have airlines making business decisions as opposed to safety ones.

Also while I have been to a restaurant that has had a power outage or a problem in the kitchen, they tell you that generally before you order. I have never seen a restaurant allow you to order the steak, then bring you cold beans, and then charge you for the steak.

And finally, Disney’s park tickets are for the entire park, not one ride. I have never been to the park when all the rides where down. I don’t think I have ever been to the park when close to half the rides were down. One or two, sure, but no where close to where you could compare that to a restaurant’s entire kitchen being down.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Probably because most people understand the apples and baseballs comparison you just tried to make and realize they are nothing alike.

Are there times when a ride or 2 are down at the parks, of course. And you want as a policy to encourage that to happen. If you financially incentivize keeping rides running at all costs, then that’s what will happen, even in unsafe conditions. Why do you think the airlines are allowed to cancel and delay flights for weather or basically whatever reason they want with limited to no financial repercussions? It’s not bc the government or the market loves airlines. It’s that they don’t trust them, and it’s better to have the public have to put up with the cancellations without refunds, then have airlines making business decisions as opposed to safety ones.

Also while I have been to a restaurant that has had a power outage or a problem in the kitchen, they tell you that generally before you order. I have never seen a restaurant allow you to order the steak, then bring you cold beans, and then charge you for the steak.

And finally, Disney’s park tickets are for the entire park, not one ride. I have never been to the park when all the rides where down. I don’t think I have ever been to the park when close to half the rides were down. One or two, sure, but no where close to where you could compare that to a restaurant’s entire kitchen being down.

Trying to talk about airlines and what they do when flights get cancelled has voided any remaining credibility you had left in my eyes (not that your Pixie Dust Defender status was ever in doubt). From someone who used to work for a major airline - you don't have any idea what you're talking about. I can assure you that the airlines can and do pay out (and sometimes pay out a lot) when flights get cancelled, at least the one I worked for, and they have a reputation for trying to get pax to their destination the same day whenever possible. When that can't happen? Hotel vouchers, food vouchers, flight vouchers. A couple of flights cancelled, or worse - a winter storm hits a major airport, and that adds up in a hurry. Delays are delays, especially when they are out of their control (weather), and there's not much they will do for a delay unless it impacts a connection, particularly for int'l flights. But pax have become far too vocal on social media and the airlines are deathly afraid of negative PR for there to be no compensation when flights are cancelled.

No one has ever paid to be in a Disney park when every ride was closed. Hyperbole much? I've been at a park when 4 headliners were down, and when 3 headliners were down. One of those was DHS, so basically a third of the park was offline. What do you think the general mood was in those parks when one expects to be able to ride Splash and Space and Pirates and end up having to do Philharmagic and Barnstormer and Buzz, or when you wanted RnRC and Rise and MMRR and your options were Slinky and Saucers and Star Tours? MK wasn't as bad, as people were able to do other things for the few hours those rides were down, but I would not have wanted to be working in GS at DHS that day. And why do you think that rides are breaking down more and more frequently? It's not because they are spending a ton of money on maintenance and taking rides down regularly for TLC. We won't even get into the little things that Disney doesn't do, apparently.

Have a magical day.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Trying to talk about airlines and what they do when flights get cancelled has voided any remaining credibility you had left in my eyes (not that your Pixie Dust Defender status was ever in doubt). From someone who used to work for a major airline - you don't have any idea what you're talking about. I can assure you that the airlines can and do pay out (and sometimes pay out a lot) when flights get cancelled, at least the one I worked for, and they have a reputation for trying to get pax to their destination the same day whenever possible. When that can't happen? Hotel vouchers, food vouchers, flight vouchers. A couple of flights cancelled, or worse - a winter storm hits a major airport, and that adds up in a hurry. Delays are delays, especially when they are out of their control (weather), and there's not much they will do for a delay unless it impacts a connection, particularly for int'l flights. But pax have become far too vocal on social media and the airlines are deathly afraid of negative PR for there to be no compensation when flights are cancelled.

No one has ever paid to be in a Disney park when every ride was closed. Hyperbole much? I've been at a park when 4 headliners were down, and when 3 headliners were down. One of those was DHS, so basically a third of the park was offline. What do you think the general mood was in those parks when one expects to be able to ride Splash and Space and Pirates and end up having to do Philharmagic and Barnstormer and Buzz, or when you wanted RnRC and Rise and MMRR and your options were Slinky and Saucers and Star Tours? MK wasn't as bad, as people were able to do other things for the few hours those rides were down, but I would not have wanted to be working in GS at DHS that day. And why do you think that rides are breaking down more and more frequently? It's not because they are spending a ton of money on maintenance and taking rides down regularly for TLC. We won't even get into the little things that Disney doesn't do, apparently.

Have a magical day.
To my mind, it's like paying to see the latest Marvel Cinematic Universe blockbuster and being forced to watch the projectionist's home movies instead.

How many of us wouldn't head immediately to the front office and demand our money back?

Yet how many go to WDW, miss out on the headliners, and meekly accept that as an "oh, well -- at least we got to see the rest of the park..."?

MrPromey

Didn't exactly have to go looking for that incident. It was a pretty big deal having killed someone and seriously injuring many more.

Track derailment of a roller coaster - to me at least - seems like possibly the worst accident a roller coaster can have and at the time, warranted or not, people were citing it as an example of Disney neglecting maintenance in the park (to be clear for those who don't remember and didn't read the article, this was Disneyland - not wdw).

For their part, this worked out better for Disney than it might have one of their competitors. Imagine if this had happened with one of someone else's marquee coasters. Think of how this exact same issue could have ended for people on say, the Hulk.

Anyway, like I said, I'd imagine that an incident like that would have at least put focus on maintenance and safety with these kinds of rides within the organization, similar to how a well known monorail incident at WDW forever changed operations, there - accidents happen, lessons are (hopefully) learned and things are put in place to ensure those accidents don't happen again.

Anyway, I'd like to think that safety is the very last place Disney would ever try to slide by but the issues being brought up by members of the Reedy Creek fire department in recent months have been suggesting otherwise.

I'm sure there is a political aspect to this since unions are involved but since they're (publicly) talking about under-staffing and not under-pay, I don't see where they would have motivation to lie or misrepresent for their part.

As for Disney's Reedy Creek's Disney's part in that, I imagine it would be more of an issue with being able to hire and retain qualified individuals under current circumstances rather than just a financial decision but then again, if you know you cannot have full safety in place for whatever the reason and continue to operate as if you do, that is a kind of financial decision, isn't it?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom