RnRC having some issues..

Brian

Point taken. But I still have a worrying suspicion that after Tron opens, Space may be slated for permanent closure - don’t need a new track if you just tear it out, right?
Space Mountain remains among the most popular WDW attractions. I wouldn't lose sleep over that possibility.

Cesar R M

Simple billion dollar solution... create a pathway that connects RnRC to Animation Courtyard... Demo Star Wars Launch Bay and use that stretch of land as Wakanda. RnRc gets a retheme into a ride on an "upgraded" Vibranium mag-lev train, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy becomes a Wakanda 101 / history of Wakanda show, add a couple more attractions and you've got a new land.
or do all that and add CARSLAND.

Casper Gutman

Space Mountain remains among the most popular WDW attractions. I wouldn't lose sleep over that possibility.
I don’t think it will happen, BUT…

How much merch does Space move?

Put yourself in Bob’s head. Space is one of very few rides at the resort that is not tied to a cross-media IP. Even at MK, that list includes only a few attractions like Tiki (at the present moment), Thunder (they tried), Small World, Carousel, Peoplemover, and Autopia. Fixing Space would cost about as much as building a new ride and would not increase profits at all. A waste of money. Besides, you just spent a lot to build a very, very similar ride a few yards away. Why not rip Space out and (eventually - Tron will hold them for a while) replace it with an IP-based ride that might increase attendance and move more merch? The only counter-argument is that the ride is popular, and is it popular enough that it’s removal would dent ticket sales? Nothing else does. And how much does Bob know or care about the popularity of individual rides?

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

I don’t think it will happen, BUT…

How much merch does Space move?

Put yourself in Bob’s head. Space is one of very few rides at the resort that is not tied to a cross-media IP. Even at MK, that list includes only a few attractions like Tiki (at the present moment), Thunder (they tried), Small World, Carousel, Peoplemover, and Autopia. Fixing Space would cost about as much as building a new ride and would not increase profits at all. A waste of money. Besides, you just spent a lot to build a very, very simplistic ride a few yards away. Why not rip Space out and (eventually - Tron will hold them for a while) replace it with an IP-based ride that might increase attendance and move more merch? The only counter-argument is that the ride is popular, and is it popular enough that it’s removal would dent ticket sales? Nothing else does. And how much does Bob know or care about the popularity of individual rides?
I had to go 3rd party to get souvenirs for:
1) Space Mountain - "Climb Every Mountain"
2) Tiki Room - "My Siestas are Getting Chorter"
3) Carousel - "It's a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow"

Why are they not offered by Disney?

Fido Chuckwagon

Chapek only cares about short term profits. Replacing the track on space mountain is expensive. I could absolutely see him axing space mountain when the track finally fails to keep those short term profits as high as possible.

Casper Gutman

Space Mountain is literally iconic. Plus it's a huge, massive people eater of an attraction...
It's not iconic enough to move piles of merch or to have produced a film franchise, so as far as Bob is concerned, it ain't iconic. Besides, its easy enough to keep the mountain and stick something else in there. Problem solved!

Fido Chuckwagon

It's not iconic enough to move piles of merch or to have produced a film franchise, so as far as Bob is concerned, it ain't iconic. Besides, its easy enough to keep the mountain and stick something else in there. Problem solved!
Also disney doesn’t want people eaters. That might depress the demand for Genie+ and ILL$.

Touchdown

Isn’t the coaster near the end of its lifespan? Hulk had to be rebuilt from the ground up and Mummy is starting its rebuild right now. Isn’t this due for a full track replacement?
No because it’s a Disney World Coaster, those don’t ever have to be retracked! (No don’t ask why, that’s just the rule!) That’s how the 45 year old duel track Space Mountain is still running, RnRC is less then half the age of that ride.

Lilofan

RnRC is basically new. Steven Tyler just celebrated his 39th birthday so it can’t be that old.
I saw Steven Tyler exit the ride with his young lady friend while I was in the gift shop. Between the cheers and shrieks from the females, his young friend could not have been more than 30 years old. Perhaps that's what keeps 70 plus year old Steven looking young!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom