RnRc Contract End?

Missing20K

This is a great idea. Actually I am suprised Disney has not come up with a Virtual Theme Park on-line community that allows people to do exactly what you suggest. Perhaps they don't want/need the competition.

I think they don't want to get shown up by a bunch of Disney forum junkies. :ROFLOL:

As for the blog, it's being created as we speak, hopefully will be up and running in the next few days.

As for a forum, I'm looking for a cheap and easy forum program, as I am both new to creating a forum, as well as I don't want to have to spend as much time moderating as Steve does.:ROFLOL:

Imagineer Mitch

Original Poster
The music industry is a big aspect of "Hollywood" and show business. On RnRc, you're "going backstage and 'meeting' one of the most famous rock bands ever", so it fits.

The DHS parking lot sections are named Film, Television, Stage, and Music, respectively.

Also, the only "themes" Six Flags can come up with are Batman and Superman clones, where the theming itself is nothing more than the coaster's paint scheme, and maybe a few props in the queue and a partially themed station.

Omg finally someone who agrees with me!! Six Flags is nothing, sure they have a lot of roller coasters but they have no theme, absolutely none, like Disney actually has a story that you follow the whole time which leads you up to the actual ride, Disney is truly amazing for this, just about every other park just throws some ride up and that's it

hemloc

Omg finally someone who agrees with me!! Six Flags is nothing, sure they have a lot of roller coasters but they have no theme, absolutely none, like Disney actually has a story that you follow the whole time which leads you up to the actual ride, Disney is truly amazing for this, just about every other park just throws some ride up and that's it

Oh, but they DO have a ride with a theme!! I just rode the new Dark Knight ride at Six Flags Great America.... The theme was 'WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT'??!??! Talk about a cheap cash-in(Hey, let's put a state fair style Wild Mouse indoors and toss Batman in there!!)!! The ride pre-show was twice as long as the god awful excuse for a ride!! Do not, under any circumstances, EVER wait in line for that one. Better yet, don't bother riding it period. You'll thank me later:wave:!!!

itasman

I probably got too worked up over "armchair engineering", as you said, but I've never seen a list I disagreed with this much, so, touche'.

That's OK, variety is the spice of life. :) I was simply trying to create a consistent theme based on Hollywood of the 1930s / 1940s. I think the park started out with a great theme in 1989 but didn't stick with it after 1994. I think the biggest crisis it faces today is one of identity...it is becoming merely a repository for rides without any real connection to each other, and that is my main motivation behind these daydream proposals, and why I move or discard popular rides like Star Tours or RNRC that I don't feel fit the theme well, even if they are crowd pleasers.

1. You really think tearing down DHS's most popular attraction to build a Roger Rabbit area would be a good idea? Yes, G-Force records doesn't fit with the theme of Sunset (though it does fit with the overall theme of the park, as does it's art deco style facade and "soundstage" building), but this wouldn't make sense either.

RNRC is a very popular ride, no doubt. But I would bet, just about any high intensity roller coaster which Disney builds in any of its parks, is bound to be a big hit. People like roller coasters. But they don't necessarily advance the theme of the park or of the land they are located in, and that's how I feel about RNRC.

Also, I guess you misunderstood one part of what I wrote. I am not advocating constructing a Roger Rabbit area. The land on which RNRC sits, plus the empty plot immediately to the south of it (currently used as employee parking), was originally intended as a Roger Rabbit ("Maroon Studios") area. I am proposing using this land to build a ToonTown similar to those in Anaheim or Tokyo, and getting rid of the half-baked version which exists todayin the Magic Kingdom. The idea of ToonTown is based on Roger Rabbit but not limited to it...it is a home for many of the classic toons from the 1930s and 1940s...which fits in well with the time period Hollywood and Sunset Blvds are trying to evoke. This way little kids would have an area they could have fun in, that also fits in with the whole "Golden Age of Hollywood" idea.

2. Cloning isn't always good, either. Our Fantasmic is also longer due to the fact that it is in it's own ampitheater. The only scene that really could be changed is the Pocahontas scene, as that movie hasn't remained as popular as other Disney classics.

I never said cloning was always good. But a cloned Fantasmic would definitely be better than the one in DHS.

3. I have no idea what that show is, but I don't care about Beauty and the Beast either. It was never supposed to be a permanent show.

Check it out on YouTube. Those who have seen it and the other HKDL show (Lion King), generally agree that they are among the best Disney shows anywhere. Again, importantly, I believe they are a spoof on the Oscars...so very appropriate for DHS.

4. As far as I know, Sunset was never supposed to have buildings lining all the way down the street. Maybe in early concept art... but think about it, it would throw off the aesthetics of the street, as its all designed to have The Hollywood Tower Hotel be the center of attention, the same way Main Street at MK is designed to draw your attention to Cinderella Castle and make it appear larger than it really is. A real trolley would be unnecessary and cause big problems with traffic flow.

I have many pieces of concept art of the buildings on the west side of Sunset...and they would have in no way distracted from the TOT. There was also plenty of open space left where the northern half of Sunset Ranch is today. Some high res pictures of the unbuilt buildings such as the Coconut Club can be found on Alain Littaye's Disneyandmore blog (disaneymore.blogspot.com). These buildings were cut due to cost, no other reason.

And finally, Sunset Market Ranch is properly themed to the 1930's era of the street, being a makeshift food court in the depression/WWII era. It also doesn't really look that bad and is DHS's most popular quick service food location.

I agree Sunset Ranch doesn't look bad. But architecturally, I like the buildings of West Sunset better. Additionally, the original plan did provide for quick service stalls where the northern half of Sunset Ranch is today, modeled after Hollywood icons such as Tail o' the Pup and Date Shack. I can post concept art if you like but that may be a little too much off-topic for this thread.

6. Mickey's PhilharMagic is the best attraction in Fantasyland, and a park shouldn't have more than one 3D movie attraction.

I'm not advocating keeping MuppetVision. Also, as long as I'm dreaming, do you think I would keep Fantasyland the way it is today :p

7. Again, not gonna happen. I wish people would just accept that the hat is the new icon, most guests actually like it, and it makes more sense as an icon than you think: its a recognizable symbol of the "magic" of Disney's animated classics, and the real Walt Disney Studios in Burbank also has the hat adorning their animation building. They can't use the Chinese Theater as an icon, and the Earful Tower can't be seen from most areas of the park, so now all four parks have a big, centralized icon.

The placement of the Hat destroys the vista down Hollywood Blvd and spoils the ambience of the area. I don't mind the Hat itself but I would advocate the solution that was made for Disney-MGM Studios Europe (the unbuilt Parisian park from the early 1990s). A big blue Hat was placed just outside main gate. And, in fact, there is perfect place outside the DHS front gate, where the Chistmas Tree goes today, that could accomodate the hat, and restore Hollywood Blvd to its old self. Plus...I have never seen one shred of credible evidence to back up the popular internet story that Disney isn't allowed to use the Chinese Theater as an icon.

8. Ignoring the fact that Fantasmic is being cut to 2 shows a week soon, it would cost to much money to do both a fireworks show and Fantasmic. Guests are satisfied with Fantasmic, and this adds some variety to the nighttime shows of the parks, so not all 3 have a fireworks display.

I am not saying that any of my proposals are realistic given the budget mindedness of the current WDW management. But why not have 3 fireworks shows, if they are all different? I'm saying have it in addition to, not in place of Fantasmic. And three firework shows were exactly what there were in the early 1990s. Sorcery in the Sky was a great tribute the movies. Are two nightime entertainments too much for one park? Then how about MK which has two or DL which has / had 3?

9. Would there be any point in bringing back an outdated show other than your own nostalgic purposes? American Idol Experience isn't even open yet.. who knows, it may be a big hit.

You misunderstand me...I'm not saying bring back SuperStar TV in the same version as 1989. I'm saying make one for the present day. I think a show celebrating one of the fundamental media of entertainment is better than a show where you get audience members to play karaoke.

10. Unless the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular is removed anytime soon, having two attractions in one park based on the same movie franchise isn't a good idea. I DO agree, though, that Indy should get a thrill ride at DHS, and Epic, while still decent, is getting a little tired. However, removing RnRc is ridiculous as a good portion of the park's guests come ONLY for it's 2 thrill rides.

I don't see how an Indy show show, and Indy coaster, would be similar experiences. Rather than plopping an Indy ride in the middle of Hollywood, let's have a themed area instead...just like they have at Tokyo DisneySea. Since I removed RNRC, I replaced it with an Indy coaster. Indy fits the 1930s / 1940s ambience much better. If interested, dig up the blueprints for Disney-MGM Studios Europe in the early 1990s. This had a whole Indy section with a large themed restaurant plus the Stunt Show. I would keep this general plan but expand upon it to add the ride.

11. Dic* Tracey? Really? Yes, Star Tours needs an update, but why replace it with an underwhelming movie that barely made a mark at the box office, and today, nobody even remembers?

This is the exact same reaction everyone has...but it misses the point. The movie was mediocre overall. But the art direction and set decoration were superb, and perfectly suited again to the 1930s/1940s era. If interested...there is more high res art on the Disneyandmore blog (look under Disney-MGM concept art) if you are interested...I think it would make a stunning ride. It would Orlando a unique, top notch EMV ride (unlike the mediocre Dinosaur).

A bad movie can be made into a good ride and a good movie can be made into an unmemorable one. Also, guests do not have to be familiar with the movie that the ride is based on. How many people riding Splash Mountain know anything about Song of the South? The Dic* Tracy ride would have less to do with Mr. DT than with the theme of cops vs gangsters...a classic Hollywood genre.

Also, they can't just move attractions around, they would have to demolish Star Tours almost completely and rebuild it (and where would it fit in Tomorrowland? Only if they remove the Speedway, which they won't) which would be an insane waste of time and money for a ride thats just much easier to leave open until a rehab comes.

You're being too serious here. I'm not telling laying out a realistic vision for the future, just what I think a thematically consistent DHS would be. But there is plenty of unused land around Tomorrowland, plus a few attractions there today that I wouldn't mind seeing go the way of the dodo. It's entirely feasible to relocate Star Tours there, and I think Tomorrowland needs it.

12. Oh, please, no. I love Pixar, but they already have their own section of the park now, and Cars was not a good enough movie to warrant revamping a huge section of the park to it. And, I think most of us can agree that not EVERY new thing should be about Pixar.

Please note, this is the only Pixar element in my little daydream. It would add a fourth thrill ride to my version of the park (TOT, Indy coaster, ________ Tracy EMV ride, and Cars Test-Track-style ride). I think the art-deco architecture of radiator springs, plus the fact that route 66 did end up in LA, would work well with the physical theming of the rest of the park, though admittedly it doesn't quite fit the 1930s/40s time period. Another good idea for a Test Track style ride...and perhaps something to expand Lucas' presence since I am relocating Star Tours...is to build an ride and land (with same footprint, the NY / Muppet area + old Residential Street area) based on American Graffiti. This could be a 1950s themed area and a good home for restaurants like 50s Prime Time Cafe.

13. I've said this many times on this board, and I'll say it again. Those buildings that you think are empty really ARE in use as various office buildings for DHS and WDW, and things such as the Creative Costuming building and prop buildings are also in use. The only building currently not in use is Soundstage 1, next to the Backlot Tour entrance, which is to become the rumored Monsters, Inc coaster anyway.

Do you think...that the Disney company is incapable of moving those functions elsewhere? The biggest handicap of DHS is that they built the park in such a cramped fashion, when so much land was available at WDW. Moving these offices elsewhere and clearing the land for park expansion would to the park a lot of good IMO.

Back on topic now :D

Bill Smugs

I think AC/DC would be a good fit and there new single off of the Black Ice album, Rock and Roll train would probobly be great on one of the trains.

Another good band would be Van Halen especialy if they use the new version ie 3/4 origonal Van Halen 1 part inevidable (ie David Lee Roth, Eddied Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Wolfgang Van Halen), strengly it you could argue that it would be a good promotiom of family values. Two brothers and a father and son team all in the same band. And they have a great catologue to pick from.

totaljen

Props to Imagineer Andy

so I don't think making a tween coaster, or toaster as they are called, would be a good idea!
:ROFLOL::sohappy::lol:
Sorry! I thought that was hilarious!

Bottom line, changing RnR would be like changing the "Disney/MGM Studios" Earful Tower icon to say.... the "Disney Hollywood Studios" w/a giant sorcerers hat...
a BAD idea!
:brick:sadly, it can happen

MousDad

The decision will be Disney's and solely Disney's IMO.

They will be around forever even if they are not at DHS

What about the sponsor's input/prerogative? Seems like I've seen alot of rumors about the wand coming down being all Siemens and zero Disney.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
P.S. I am thinking of starting a blog or forum exclusively dedicated to WDI's past, present, and future, and my own and others ideas for the future. If anyone is interested, PM me or something and I'll try to get it underway. Basically, a place to pretend we are Imagineers and we have free reign to do what we pleased.

There is a section on here very similar to that. Check out http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 :)

over

I think AC/DC would be a good fit and there new single off of the Black Ice album, Rock and Roll train would probobly be great on one of the trains.

Another good band would be Van Halen especialy if they use the new version ie 3/4 origonal Van Halen 1 part inevidable (ie David Lee Roth, Eddied Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Wolfgang Van Halen), strengly it you could argue that it would be a good promotiom of family values. Two brothers and a father and son team all in the same band. And they have a great catologue to pick from.

agreed...maybe even the rolling stones. who knows.

jt04

What about the sponsor's input/prerogative? Seems like I've seen alot of rumors about the wand coming down being all Siemens and zero Disney.

If WDC wanted the wand to be there the wand would be there.

If they don't want Aerosmith to be there they won't be there.

Lucky

agreed...maybe even the rolling stones. who knows.
I think the Rolling Stones was Disney's first idea, but they asked for too much money so Disney turned to Aerosmith.

If and when they replace Aerosmith the whole point should be to get someone a little younger but with staying power.

jt04

I think the Rolling Stones was Disney's first idea, but they asked for too much money so Disney turned to Aerosmith.

If and when they replace Aerosmith the whole point should be to get someone a little younger but with staying power.

That is the problem with "pop" music in that what is hot today is usually not a couple years later. So unless Disney plans to change the music every couple years the shouls go with classic songs/bands that have lasted the "test of time.......IMO

hokielutz

Wouldn't Aerosmith be open to extending their tour with the RnRC??

I mean... they hardly have to do any work except for maybe another updated pre-show video, and its guaranteed income for the group. But I am sure Aerosmith would be asking for higher fees on a contract renewal, which shouldn't be unexpected.

Or is the issue really centered around Disney trying to move to an in-house approach? If so... then really dumb move.

jt04

Wouldn't Aerosmith be open to extending their tour with the RnRC??

I mean... they hardly have to do any work except for maybe another updated pre-show video, and its guaranteed income for the group. But I am sure Aerosmith would be asking for higher fees on a contract renewal, which shouldn't be unexpected.

Or is the issue really centered around Disney trying to move to an in-house approach? If so... then really dumb move.

Not if it sells more t-shirts :lookaroun

bgraham34

Why does it have to be one single artist anyway. Why not a mesh of a few of them. Who, I don't know who but it might be an alternative. I do know if its Hannah or the Jonas brothers I will not set foot on the ride.

Dragonrider1227

Originally poste by Istaman
The placement of the Hat destroys the vista down Hollywood Blvd and spoils the ambience of the area. I don't mind the Hat itself but I would advocate the solution that was made for Disney-MGM Studios Europe (the unbuilt Parisian park from the early 1990s). A big blue Hat was placed just outside main gate. And, in fact, there is perfect place outside the DHS front gate, where the Chistmas Tree goes today, that could accomodate the hat, and restore Hollywood Blvd to its old self. Plus...I have never seen one shred of credible evidence to back up the popular internet story that Disney isn't allowed to use the Chinese Theater as an icon.
and a giant french castle doesn't spoil the ambiance of a turn of the century american town? :shrug:
Also, I read that the hat was built because the owners of the Chinese Theater wanted money every time Disney had a shot of their Chinese Theater in their Disney park ads so to avoid this, (and to avoid taking out the Grear Movie Ride) Disney built the giant hat to block it from being filmed

kissinuk

Surely if Aerosmith do have to go then the only logical choice is:
- a band who has a very familiar look
- a band with a strong brand
- a band associated with comic books and all manner or childrens toys (ie a theme park ride would be a logical next step)
- a band who are already media whores....

In my books this leaves only 1 band, the hottest band in the world.... KISS!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom