Riviera Pricing and Point charts

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The main concern for me is the restrictions that are popping up for resales. I feel that this new rule with the Riviera resales could one day be applied to the other resorts. Now I know we, the DVC members, can fight that but still I feel Disney is trying to push it in that direction and will at least try--to see if they get away with it, like they thought they were going to be able to do with the points allocation that got turned back around to the original plan--after everybody complained and some threatened to sue. I feel like this is going to hurt resales of Riviera--why would people want to buy a resale of that when they find out they can't use the points at the other resorts? Then this turns into the people who bought Riviera and have to sell for whatever reason...it doesn't look good for them. At this point nobody would want to buy resale on Riviera so then what's the point? In other words, I do want to add on points in the future but you think I'm gonna want to buy Riviera, knowing that fact? Because what if I have to sell in the future? And I just feel like it's heading this way with any other new resort--there seems to be a feeling that any newer properties are going to be done the same way Riviera is and the same rule will apply--and I just can't help but feel like they're testing this to see if they can get away with doing this with ALL resales in the next few years--like somebody wants to buy a resale contract at Poly and they find out they can only use their points at Poly, Riviera and what "new" resorts there are, but not at the original DVC resorts. I can't help but feel like they're testing this out and they plan to roll out a new rule on resales, thinking they can get away with it. Which then, in turn, affects people trying to sell their contracts when needing to. It's as if, Disney is wanting to keep people from putting their contracts up for sale, by putting all these new restrictions on a resale contract that makes it not as attractive to buy as it used to be. They're definitely making sure you buy direct...
As @nickys said they can’t legally restrict trading in for resale at the legacy resorts. I agree with your sentiment that if they could they probably would consider it. They took away almost every potential benefit from resale buyers that wasn’t protected over the years. At least they have been fair about it and “Grand fathered” in existing resale owners when they made the various restrictions.

I also agree that Disney wants people to buy direct and is obviously concerned that the resale market is canibalizing their potential direct sales. I have no intention of adding on additional points any time soon but this restriction would make me hesitate until we see how the resale market for Riviera develops. If the resale prices end up something really bad like 50% of direct that would deter me completely from buying. If it’s more like direct buy at $200 and resale ends up $170 that’s not so bad if I had to dump the points later because of a financial problem or change in taste.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good luck to you

From what I understand they could but it wouldn't be easy. I cannot find the wording at this time but essentially they'd have to prove certain things to make changes. I'll try to find it later, I'm just lacking sleep (my new kitten is as bad as having a 6 month old lol)

Don't worry too much about it here. Text can be hard to read right in terms of tone and such. But let's be honest, many considered Polynesian and/or Contemporary to be the flagship resorts long before GF was even thought of. What is flagship material changes with Disney. It's all quite personal. I do see more refined touches, but another may not see it the same way.

We can agree to disagree on looks. I see quality European (based on my time there) but others don't. I'm more than cool with that.
I still see CR as the flagship since it’s the first resort I stayed at as a kid in the 80s. Not very scientific but my opinion will not be changed ;). Probably why I have BLT points too. CR and Poly were #1 and #1a back then. GF didn’t come along yet. Based solely on price GF should be the flagship resort since ts the most expensive. Not sure that logic always works though either since I’ve stayed at some pricey resorts that had some issues.

I think it’s hard to tell from pictures how high quality this resort will be. You really have to feel the vibe in person and in some cases feel the materials. Some things look impressive in pictures but then when you see them in person they look or feel like cheap knockoffs. I think based on the pictures it looks like they are going for a higher end vibe.

correcaminos

Original Poster
I still see CR as the flagship since it’s the first resort I stayed at as a kid in the 80s. Not very scientific but my opinion will not be changed ;). Probably why I have BLT points too. CR and Poly were #1 and #1a back then. GF didn’t come along yet. Based solely on price GF should be the flagship resort since ts the most expensive. Not sure that logic always works though either since I’ve stayed at some pricey resorts that had some issues.

I think it’s hard to tell from pictures how high quality this resort will be. You really have to feel the vibe in person and in some cases feel the materials. Some things look impressive in pictures but then when you see them in person they look or feel like cheap knockoffs. I think based on the pictures it looks like they are going for a higher end vibe.
Truly flagship is rather vague too. Largest, finest, most important.

In terms of costs, Polynesian and GF (villas and rooms) are pretty close when looking at like for like. I never understood why CR and BLT were lower. As someone who grew up with a Disney that wasn't as evolved I view these flagship ideas differently. Of course I hate frilly things so my view is clouded.

True on cheap though. I guess after PVB & CCV I'm more convinced it will be even more refined in person than not.

correcaminos

Original Poster
I agree and it looks like the review @MisterPenguin posted says the same thing. The room design seems to be going for more elegant than theme park. Looks more like the four seasons than most recent Disney hotels.
I must look for that review. I have seen quite a few other saying the same though. I really do hope we can stay there or next trip. It might be about our only shot of staying there and would be convenient for my friend to months to go to Hollywood studios for star Wars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Duh... half the time when I see the new links on the new set-up, I think they are ads. I keep forgetting that they are not ads and that I should click on them.
Has some good pictures of the insides of the sample rooms. We still only have limited views of the lobby and common areas but the rooms have some nice details.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think we probably just need to recalibrate our expectations. This isn’t a themed resort. It’s just a pretty nice high rise resort. It’s exactly like what you’d expect from a Marriot or a Hyatt. Which is fine. It’s just not a themed hotel. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t ever add points here, and with that laughable points chart it’s unlikely I’ll ever stay here, unless I really have some points burning a hole in my pocket.

correcaminos

Original Poster
Matter of taste I think. I totally see the theme. Reminds me of when we lived and traveled Europe. Will try to stay once but not thrilled with the charts. I'd rather do 2 connecting at PVB than a 1 bedroom there in terms if points spending. Not likely to get standard views regularly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we probably just need to recalibrate our expectations. This isn’t a themed resort. It’s just a pretty nice high rise resort. It’s exactly like what you’d expect from a Marriot or a Hyatt. Which is fine. It’s just not a themed hotel. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t ever add points here, and with that laughable points chart it’s unlikely I’ll ever stay here, unless I really have some points burning a hole in my pocket.
I don’t think anyone needs to recalibrate any expectations. If you don’t like it don’t stay there. Other people will probably like it and want to stay there. Sometimes I think we overthink these things here. There doesn’t need to be one consensus opinion. There were people who loved this place from the first art released and others who hated it. Those opionions won’t and don’t have to change.

From my personal prospective I’m less turned off by the theme than the sky high maintenance fees and pricey point chart. I am very unlikely to buy points here. Never say never, but I would only buy resale at this point and don’t like the resale trade in restriction at all. I would be likely to trade into Riviera for a stay especially with the Skyway and all the action coming to DHS and EPCOT. If I’m not staying there but staying at BC or BW I will definitely take the gondola over and maybe grab a meal there too.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

That's what I don't get. It's fine. But who would pay MORE to stay here than any of the Boardwalk resorts?

nickys

Premium Member
I don’t think anyone needs to recalibrate any expectations. If you don’t like it don’t stay there. Other people will probably like it and want to stay there. Sometimes I think we overthink these things here. There doesn’t need to be one consensus opinion. There were people who loved this place from the first art released and others who hated it. Those opionions won’t and don’t have to change.

From my personal prospective I’m less turned off by the theme than the sky high maintenance fees and pricey point chart. I am very unlikely to buy points here. Never say never, but I would only buy resale at this point and don’t like the resale trade in restriction at all. I would be likely to trade into Riviera for a stay especially with the Skyway and all the action coming to DHS and EPCOT. If I’m not staying there but staying at BC or BW I will definitely take the gondola over and maybe grab a meal there too.

Agreed! Not that we’ll be adding on, although if I could I think I might do. But definitely planning to stay there, and will definitely go and try the rooftop dining.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Didn’t say people wouldn’t like it. In fact, I like it. For what it is.

I just mean, we cant expect WDI themed resorts at this point(Star Wars clearly a diff animal). They don’t seem interested in that type of thing anymore.

This isn’t a classic themed resort ala Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge or Old Key West. This is really just a classic mid level high rise hotel from any vacation spot.

That’s all.

nickys

Premium Member
That's what I don't get. It's fine. But who would pay MORE to stay here than any of the Boardwalk resorts?

See I think it’s themed better than the Beach Club. I love the Beach Club but that’s for sentimental reasons (our first onsite stay), the pool and the vibe. Not the theme. The Boardwalk is well themed as .... a Boardwalk. Not very exciting to me, and I don’t see myself staying because I just couldn’t bear to be so close to my beloved Beach Club and not be able to go swim!

Now this... I love the idea of pictures of Walt on his travels in Europe. I love the Carolwood Pacific Room at WL for the same reason. I love the old classics, like Fantasia and the Aristocats - bingo! One splash pad and artwork in the villas. And I like the landscaping, actually reminds me of a resort next to one we stayed at in Menorca (not the Riviera, but still Mediterranean).

Not in your face themed, but still themed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Didn’t say people wouldn’t like it. In fact, I like it. For what it is.

I just mean, we cant expect WDI themed resorts at this point(Star Wars clearly a diff animal). They don’t seem interested in that type of thing anymore.

This isn’t a classic themed resort ala Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge or Old Key West. This is really just a classic mid level high rise hotel from any vacation spot.

That’s all.
I’m not giving up on any future well themed resorts. I do see a move towards mid or high rise towers over lower buildings spread out and in the rooms they have gone completely to the faux wood floors and no bedspreads (both I prefer even though they take away some of the style options). There’s still great attention to detail and quality theming going in at all the parks. Hope is not completely lost.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
See I think it’s themed better than the Beach Club. I love the Beach Club but that’s for sentimental reasons (our first onsite stay), the pool and the vibe. Not the theme. The Boardwalk is well themed as .... a Boardwalk. Not very exciting to me, and I don’t see myself staying because I just couldn’t bear to be so close to my beloved Beach Club and not be able to go swim!

Now this... I love the idea of pictures of Walt on his travels in Europe. I love the Carolwood Pacific Room at WL for the same reason. I love the old classics, like Fantasia and the Aristocats - bingo! One splash pad and artwork in the villas. And I like the landscaping, actually reminds me of a resort next to one we stayed at in Menorca (not the Riviera, but still Mediterranean).

Not in your face themed, but still themed.
Beach Club = pool area. Replace the pool area with a plain rectangular pool and I think it drops way down on most people’s lists. It’s impossible to remove the pool from the whole of the resort so you have to judge it on that.

For Riviera the same appplies. The theme may be average or light or whatever term people want to use but if you factor in the Skyway connection, rooftop and other dining options and pool areas, as a whole I think it’s a lot better of an option than just judging it solely on theme. I also think the rooms themselves look pretty nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom