Riviera Pricing and Point charts

correcaminos

Original Poster

nickys

Premium Member
I don't get it. At all.

Prices (cash and points) are completely disproportionate to what this place offers.

How so? This resort has 5 restaurants (signature, TS, full QS, pool bar with food, and the lounge). 2 pools plus splash pad, shops, community hall according to TAs although not specifically mentioned yet. And the new shiny Skyliner.

Not to mention it’s the first all DVC resort built since Saratoga Springs (well at WDW at least). It wasn’t going to come in at lower than any other new DVC like CCV etc. It will sell, easily.

Maintenance fees are high though, no doubt partly to cover Skyliner costs.

CaptainAmerica

How so? This resort has 5 restaurants (signature, TS, full QS, pool bar with food, and the lounge). 2 pools plus splash pad, shops, community hall according to TAs although not specifically mentioned yet.
None of that is any different than any other deluxe resort on property (allowing for the fact that OKW and SSR are different animals).

And the new shiny Skyliner.
That must be it, but wow... A "tower studio" at this place is more than an actual deluxe studio at the Boardwalk, even during Food & Wine. A tower studio doesn't even have a real bed!

Not to mention it’s the first all DVC resort built since Saratoga Springs (well at WDW at least).
Is that meant to be a "plus"? I'd much rather have my DVC attached to a proper resort. The DVC-only places have comparatively dull themeing and fewer amenities.

It wasn’t going to come in at lower than any other new DVC like CCV etc.
If you say so. All I know is that if someone offered me 200 free points to any DVC property on the planet, this points chart would put Riviera dead last.

nickys

Premium Member
None of that is any different than any other deluxe resort on property (allowing for the fact that OKW and SSR are different animals).

That must be it, but wow... A "tower studio" at this place is more than an actual deluxe studio at the Boardwalk, even during Food & Wine. A tower studio doesn't even have a real bed!

Is that meant to be a "plus"? I'd much rather have my DVC attached to a proper resort. The DVC-only places have comparatively dull themeing and fewer amenities.

If you say so. All I know is that if someone offered me 200 free points to any DVC property on the planet, this points chart would put Riviera dead last.

As for restaurants, BC has Cape May, a lounge, a QS in a store and kinda B&C. BWI has none bar a lounge. Riviera actually comes out pretty well for eating places IMO.

Community halls aren’t in every DVC.

And the existing stand alone DVCs are the two oldest DVCs. Of course they’ll pale by comparison to GFV or BRV.

All I’m saying is, this resort has everything any other deluxe resort has (including the DVC ones). Plus rooftop dining with views of two fireworks. Plus a shiny new form of transport.

Essentially though, DVC will not undersell any new resort. Each one will be at least as expensive as any currently selling one. And the points charts too will likely be on a par with the most expensive.

The tower rooms are in response to demand from some DVCers. If you’re not going to parks and just want a studio to sit in, the new Murphy beds are ideal. You just have a sofa by day, no bed in the way. Agreed they’re not for everyone but they are delivering what surveys suggested people would like to see - studios for 2people.

CaptainAmerica

The tower rooms are in response to demand from some DVCers. If you’re not going to parks and just want a studio to sit in, the new Murphy beds are ideal. You just have a sofa by day, no bed in the way. Agreed they’re not for everyone but they are delivering what surveys suggested people would like to see - studios for 2people.
I'm not faulting Disney for introducing them. I think it's very smart that they exist. I question their apparent belief that people are going to spend more to stay in smaller accommodations than what's already available.

It's like an airline offering less leg room for an extra $20 per ticket.

I'm just surprised that they're essentially pricing the Skyliner on par with the monorail. I don't see it.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm not faulting Disney for introducing them. I think it's very smart that they exist. I question their apparent belief that people are going to spend more to stay in smaller accommodations than what's already available.

It's like an airline offering less leg room for an extra $20 per ticket.

I'm just surprised that they're essentially pricing the Skyliner on par with the monorail. I don't see it.

Hmmm. I don’t think this will be any different booking wise than any other DVC resort. It will sell and book out just as easily as any of the monorail or Epcot resorts. Not to mention WL.

correcaminos

Original Poster
To explain, this is a very upscale place with just Euro vibe to it. So this will be even more opulent IMO than VGF but not as 'good' of a location. It's very much a flagship resort. This may offer those tower rooms, but do not mistake this for even another BLT in look/feel. Not just what it offers, but how it looks.

That said I disagree with the points charts always being like the expensive. It will be like what it is most like. They are saying level of VGF with not as good transportation to main parks. So it's not as $$$ in terms of points. I bet you that "Reflections" will be closer to WL (both). It's not just about topping the last or being near the last, it's about being similar to what else is out there. That's why SSR was closer to OKW. CCV identical to BRV. BWV same as BCV and BRV etc.

CaptainAmerica

To explain, this is a very upscale place with just Euro vibe to it. So this will be even more opulent IMO than VGF but not as 'good' of a location. It's very much a flagship resort. This may offer those tower rooms, but do not mistake this for even another BLT in look/feel. Not just what it offers, but how it looks.

That said I disagree with the points charts always being like the expensive. It will be like what it is most like. They are saying level of VGF with not as good transportation to main parks. So it's not as $$$ in terms of points. I bet you that "Reflections" will be closer to WL (both). It's not just about topping the last or being near the last, it's about being similar to what else is out there. That's why SSR was closer to OKW. CCV identical to BRV. BWV same as BCV and BRV etc.
Thank you for the explanation. I haven't been following the development closely but I definitely do not get the "opulent / upscale" vibe from the photos. It looks like Moderate-plus caliber to me. The points and price make more sense based on the way you're describing it.

But it does make the tower studio rooms even more puzzling. I don't know many folks who enjoy "opulent / upscale" hotels with rooms the size of large closets.

correcaminos

Original Poster
Thank you for the explanation. I haven't been following the development closely but I definitely do not get the "opulent / upscale" vibe from the photos. It looks like Moderate-plus caliber to me. The points and price make more sense based on the way you're describing it.

But it does make the tower studio rooms even more puzzling. I don't know many folks who enjoy "opulent / upscale" hotels with rooms the size of large closets.

I get the vibe from the photos, but I admit to living in Europe for a summer and saw what their idea of "upscale" was. This very much matches it to me. So I see it as just as upscale as VGF but way better to me (not so grandma-y to me) LOL Pictures often suck, I know. The videos I've seen from the press visit last week were even better to me. Definitely not moderate though it might be next door to one sorta.

The tower studios are a trial IMO. So many want 2 people studios and they'll try it out. If it works, I expect to see it in Reflections as well - which I expect to be lower in point than RR as well.

?

Where did this information come from?

They are using luxury left and right with this resort. I personally loathe the look of VGF which is why I said it will be better. Notice I said "IMO" there. To me VGF is old lady luxury. RR will be modern euro luxury. It's been widely talked about how it will be another level of flagship. Of course the VGF owners think not, but I think VGF is overrated anyway and prefer my pacific island luxury instead ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maintenance fees are high...highest at WDW, but they are likely already adjusted for the wage increases that the other resorts are absorbing over 3 years. I am assuming they won’t go up much if at all in 2020 when sales are in full swing while the rest of the resorts will see another sizable increase bringing them more in line with this. Paying for part of Skyliner as well as being independent of a cash resort are probably the other reasons for higher MFs.

correcaminos

Original Poster
Maintenance fees are high...highest at WDW, but they are likely already adjusted for the wage increases that the other resorts are absorbing over 3 years. I am assuming they won’t go up much if at all in 2020 when sales are in full swing while the rest of the resorts will see another sizable increase bringing them more in line with this. Paying for part of Skyliner as well as being independent of a cash resort are probably the other reasons for higher MFs.

I don't think the wages have anything to do with it honestly. We're all in for increases next year as the wage increases are incremental. That shouldn't differ. I would not assume they wouldn't go up next year for wages. That's me though. Only other consideration is an over estimation of taxes that will be balanced next year. Happened somewhat for CCV.

Being independent isn't something that is automatic either. Look at SSR. OKW was lower before the refurb went out of budget and it's still at about 4% increases a year on average and also a stand alone.

People are asking for the break downs to see exactly where it is going.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think the wages have anything to do with it honestly. We're all in for increases next year as the wage increases are incremental. That shouldn't differ. I would not assume they wouldn't go up next year for wages. That's me though. Only other consideration is an over estimation of taxes that will be balanced next year. Happened somewhat for CCV.

Being independent isn't something that is automatic either. Look at SSR. OKW was lower before the refurb went out of budget and it's still at about 4% increases a year on average and also a stand alone.

People are asking for the break downs to see exactly where it is going.
They usually do over charge for taxes so it could even come down a little next year. In the past they have held MF increases down during the sales process, I think because it helps the sales reps. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 8.13 is already adjusted for 2020 for the most part. If this doesn’t include an adjustment for the wage increases this place will be by far the highest MF for any WDW property since it would probably approach $9 in 2020. I’m not buying points either way, but it may hurt the sales process.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They usually do over charge for taxes so it could even come down a little next year. In the past they have held MF increases down during the sales process, I think because it helps the sales reps. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 8.13 is already adjusted for 2020 for the most part. If this doesn’t include an adjustment for the wage increases this place will be by far the highest MF for any WDW property since it would probably approach $9 in 2020. I’m not buying points either way, but it may hurt the sales process.
I think the fact that there’s going to be no resale market is also likely to hurt the sales process.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the fact that there’s going to be no resale market is also likely to hurt the sales process.
Maybe, but at least half the points will probably be sold before the resale market stabilizes and we know how much the points can actually be sold for. It’s likely more of an issue for current owners think of adding on than brand new buyers since current owners are more likely to be familiar with the resale market and the new restrictions. I also think it’s likely a bigger issue for future projects when there will be a good track record for these limited resale contracts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How's that?
Riviera points purchased on the resale market will only be eligible to be used at Riviera or traded through RCI but not to trade in for other DVC resorts at the 7 month window. That could/should make the resale price much lower for these points which could in turn hurt direct sales as well since prospective new buyers will no longer have the safety net of selling their points into the resale market at a price close to or even over what they paid.

correcaminos

Original Poster
I flip flop on the resale market for RR. I see both sides and it isn't one I want to guess on. I do think there are many hoping it'll be cheap to buy into.

I do not think resale restrictions with hurt sales much (if at all) though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom