River Country

space42

There was a filtering system... Most people have gotten their knowledge of River Country by watching youtube videos and stories from other people...

This is true. The water in River Country did come from Bay Lake but was separated by a 'bladder' and filtered. This was a great Disney illusion that made it seem that we were swimming in Bay Lake.

River Country was closed permanently in 2001 mostly due to budget cuts - the fact that there were two other water parks plus logistical issues (parking... it was inside a resort, etc.) sealed its fate.

I really hope the rumor of time shares being built on the site are just that. Please Disney - this area around Ft. Wilderness is such a calm peaceful spot. I just can't imagine time share units jetting out into bay lake right next to the Fort. ICK!

cwolnowski

I'm quite sure the days of River Country are over. It had a pretty good run for over 25 years (opened in summer of 1976 and closed in winter of 2001) but as it got older, it became very dated and was eclipsed in popularity by the much newer and better Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Also, I read size became an issue - Blizzard Beach being nearly 4x the size and people weren't seeing the value in the water park as the number of attractions were limited in comparison (and thus, attendance fell). There was also an issue with the temperature of the water as Disney could regulate the temp. of the other parks but could not of Bay Lake, thus having to close River Country for all but mostly summer months anyway. I'm just glad that I was able to experience it while I was a kid.

quirkle

Nothing lasts forever. Someday all of Disney World might look like this... Hopefully not before my DVC ownership runs out.

wow I LOL and shuddered at the same time - no emoticon for that!

River Country was great when I went there in 1977 - the 6' drop terrified me! The tube ride would throw you upside down or your butt got stuck. I was never much for the obstacle course and the water slide was so fast I almost flew over the side when I was older.

The part I really loved was waiting for the rides and actually being in the water - it made waiting more bearable.

My fondest memory was my Dad figuring out the whole way to get a 2 for 1 deal at the water park. We would go in the afternoon when it looked like rain then when it rained they would offer us admission for the next day! Best part is we would stay unless there was major lightning because as Dad says - whats the deal with rain - you are in a water park to get wet!!:lol:

Victor Kelly

The video makes me sad. I think it can still be saved though. Disney has some of the best engineers and designers around. River Country can be saved.

invader

I'm going to be staying at the Wilderness Lodge wonder how much trouble I can get in taking a few pictures of River Country?? I'm assuming I can just walk in that place or can I???

I doubt much will happen if you get "caught," they might just tell you to leave.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm going to be staying at the Wilderness Lodge wonder how much trouble I can get in taking a few pictures of River Country?? I'm assuming I can just walk in that place or can I???

No, you can't just "walk in." However, I am told it's not that difficult to get in there, if you so desire.

Me, I'm much more content to let others do the hard work, and then look at their photos/videos from the comfort of my home! :D

Aero

How awesome would a Life After People WDW episode be?!?

:ROFLOL:

I think it would be cool to explore an abandoned Disney World. What better place to be, having survived the apocalypse? The utilidors would be my subterranian fortress, and I could spend my days fixing the yeti.

We loved River Country!!
However we took my brother and his family there once--my sister-in-law was horrified when a river snake was seen going down one of the slides!!
Needless to say that was their one and only visit!!
The cast members caught the snake and let it free in a safe place!!

Aero

We loved River Country!!
However we took my brother and his family there once--my sister-in-law was horrified when a river snake was seen going down one of the slides!!
Needless to say that was their one and only visit!!
The cast members caught the snake and let it free in a safe place!!

Ha! Snakes gotta have some fun, too! :ROFLOL:

Yodadudeman

The video makes me sad. I think it can still be saved though. Disney has some of the best engineers and designers around. River Country can be saved.

Nothing is impossible. However, River Country is about as close to impossible as it gets. Just looking at photos of its current condition can give one the chills. Its unsanitary, to say the least. They would have to gut it and start from scratch. To be honest, I'm surprised Disney was allowed to leave the place like they did. There are still lights, ropes, signs, slides, and all sorts of material still in or near the water. That can't go well with environmentalists...

WDWF

Surely if Disney were to Build a new DVC in the place of River Country and all this about the Water having bacteria in it then How would Disney be able to get all of the rope and activities along with the rubbish out of the Water then if it is to danger as to go into the water.

Also Disney have all the resources and Idea's(That is what the Imaginer's are there for) To bring River Country Back and so it would match up with Health and Safety and the state laws.

IF DISNEY WANTED TO BRING IT BACK THEY COULD but they wont as it will mean they will have to use more money when all they want is more Money and we all know that a 3rd pool is more called for then a New DVC.

We should have a petition to bring back River Country as i never got to Go and it sounds like i have missed out on some very Fun times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom