River Country

BigThunderMatt

This is a myth. If there was a bacteria problem as has been suggested, you wouldn't be able to waterski, tube, etc. in Bay Lake (which you can). It is my understanding that the reason they primarily do not want guests swimming by the resorts (aside from the obvious liability without a lifeguard) is because of the boats transporting guests back and forth to the Magic Kingdom.

Actually it's not a myth. There is a very real type of amoeba resting in the sediment of Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon (and most Florida lakes for that matter). This particular amoeba does not affect you if you're swimming at the surface, but if you are underwater and disturb the sediment that it is resting in, it can get into your mucous membranes via your nose and will literally eat your brain.

It's a miracle no one on property died from this specifically.

WDW_Princess24

I had read several reports that said new state regulations for water parks stated pools and water activities must have their water originating from municipal water systems, not natural bodies of water.

I could see this for mainly health reasons, so this would go along with the bacterial concerns.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is a myth. If there was a bacteria problem as has been suggested, you wouldn't be able to waterski, tube, etc. in Bay Lake (which you can). It is my understanding that the reason they primarily do not want guests swimming by the resorts (aside from the obvious liability without a lifeguard) is because of the boats transporting guests back and forth to the Magic Kingdom.

Not a myth at all. A very real and present danger.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri
http://www.williammcbride.com/nagelerai-fowleri/

quirkle

Whatever bacteria it was infected my sister's butt. She had a flesh eatting aomeba in her butt. My mom put desitin on it and kids at the Hoop De Do were wondering why a 30 year old had diaper cream.:ROFLOL:

SNS

I didnt know River Country used gross lake water, I always thought it was filtered water!

There was one pool that didn't use the lake water. I remember for years there was rumors they would reopen that one but sadly they just let it rot along with the rest of the water park.

menamechris

Actually it's not a myth. There is a very real type of amoeba resting in the sediment of Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon (and most Florida lakes for that matter). This particular amoeba does not affect you if you're swimming at the surface, but if you are underwater and disturb the sediment that it is resting in, it can get into your mucous membranes via your nose and will literally eat your brain.

It's a miracle no one on property died from this specifically.

I am actually aware of amoeba and its effect on Florida lakes. However, doesn't the water have to be above 80 degrees for it to be present? Bay Lake is much colder than that. I would suggest checking with an employee for Sammy Duvall's who is responsible for most water activities at WDW. They are actually pretty educated on this sort of thing. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am actually aware of amoeba and its effect on Florida lakes. However, doesn't the water have to be above 80 degrees for it to be present? Bay Lake is much colder than that. I would suggest checking with an employee for Sammy Duvall's who is responsible for most water activities at WDW. They are actually pretty educated on this sort of thing. :wave:

The way it was explained to me is that in the swallows around the edge of the lake is where most people "used to" go swimming. This is the area that is most likely to hit the 80 degree mark and also for people to kick up the bacteria from the lake bottom. Out in the middle of the lake, you are far less likely to kick up the bacteria from the bottom of the lake and also the water is cooler, hence allowing water activities out on the lake but not the shoreline.

07vanquish

I fear that this discussion has gone slightly off topic. The fact is that Disney destroyed a landmark. If there was a health problem with the water or new government policies put in place that could cause problems for the park, thats fine but do something about it. Disney had and has the ressources to regulate problems of this nature. I find it a bit insulting what they have done to there groudbreaking waterpark. The could have revamped it, brought it back to its former glory. But looking at those pictures.. Is there a creepy themed waterpark yet? There could really be a story put to it that wouldn't b far from the truth..
I think a scary waterpark looking for revenge would be successful

Any questions? Comments? insults? lol

WDW_Princess24

I fear that this discussion has gone slightly off topic. The fact is that Disney destroyed a landmark. If there was a health problem with the water or new government policies put in place that could cause problems for the park, thats fine but do something about it. Disney had and has the ressources to regulate problems of this nature. I find it a bit insulting what they have done to there groudbreaking waterpark. The could have revamped it, brought it back to its former glory. But looking at those pictures.. Is there a creepy themed waterpark yet? There could really be a story put to it that wouldn't b far from the truth..
I think a scary waterpark looking for revenge would be successful

Any questions? Comments? insults? lol

I have to agree, it is insulting to what it has become. To look at pictures and videos and see tubes still floating near attractions, employee pictures and plaques, towels laying around in disarray..the whole thing is heartbreaking. If they had no intentions of reopening the park they could have at least cleaned up the area..and shut the music and the lights off! (Yes, I know, the music and lights are connected to FW and it was cheaper to just leave them on...but still..eerie!)

rpk4444

I beleive that the bacteria is on the bottom and needs to be stired up by movement (feet).

Also, was ther a gator problem when River Country was open? Disney Pest Control?

rpk4444

I have to agree, it is insulting to what it has become. To look at pictures and videos and see tubes still floating near attractions, employee pictures and plaques, towels laying around in disarray..the whole thing is heartbreaking. If they had no intentions of reopening the park they could have at least cleaned up the area..and shut the music and the lights off! (Yes, I know, the music and lights are connected to FW and it was cheaper to just leave them on...but still..eerie!)

Is there a youtube link for this? I'd like to be creeped out.

Flip83

This is what I dont get. I understand that new Law or whatever that you can't swim in those waters anymore which basically forced that to close. But why couldn't you modify it where you make it sand bottom, but it's pool water. (Like Stormalong Bay) Don't have it connected to the Lagoon anymore, but you could still keep that whole setting. Maybe add a little more to it. What it is, is one more Water Park that could bring people out of the other water parks and out of the theme parks. I personally loved it as a kid. It was like they say, that old fashioned swimming hole. It was so much fun! It's a shame. I do believe that Disney could use that 3rd Water Park. Not pressing the issue, but the two now get very very crowded.

07vanquish

they even could have made it seasonal after the modifications, look at the other day when blizzard beach was at max capacity!

Flip83

they even could have made it seasonal after the modifications, look at the other day when blizzard beach was at max capacity!

Those Water Parks are always at Max Capacity. I really do enjoy the water parks, but they really get crowded. It's just hard for me to stay there very long, because I wait forever for a 10 second water slide. It gets old. Water Parks have been one thing we have cut out. We used to always get the Water Park and Fun addition, but lately we take that off. We end up just trying to stay at a nicer resort with a cool pool, and we have our couple hours a day at our pool instead. Disney needs the 3rd Water Park in the WORST way. It would solve many issues with crowds. Crowds don't bother me that much. It's all apart of Disney, but the water park crowds can get old real quick. But yes, it could very well be a seasonal park (If they REALLY wanted), to help lighten the load during peak season... but to maintain the water park all year, they would keep it open all year to make it worth the expense of keeping it clean.

07vanquish

Those Water Parks are always at Max Capacity. I really do enjoy the water parks, but they really get crowded. It's just hard for me to stay there very long, because I wait forever for a 10 second water slide. It gets old. Water Parks have been one thing we have cut out. We used to always get the Water Park and Fun addition, but lately we take that off. We end up just trying to stay at a nicer resort with a cool pool, and we have our couple hours a day at our pool instead. Disney needs the 3rd Water Park in the WORST way. It would solve many issues with crowds. Crowds don't bother me that much. It's all apart of Disney, but the water park crowds can get old real quick. But yes, it could very well be a seasonal park (If they REALLY wanted), to help lighten the load during peak season... but to maintain the water park all year, they would keep it open all year to make it worth the expense of keeping it clean.

Good point, but like I said, worst comes to worst, even if it wasn't up to par with the others, it could have help on those sunny day with a discount price

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom