River Country Pictures - 2005

djmatthews

DisneyGrl85 said:
Was there any truth to the rumor of re-opening for the campgrounds guests?

I too wonder about this. It was only this year that River Country was officially "closed down" i.e. written off the books. Maybe there is legislation about the usage of it? My knowledge of American accounting practice is non-existent.

Thanks for those great pictures of RC. Looking at these pics brought back wonderful memories of when I was a kid. Thanks again.

josh_e_washie

Ok, first off, they need to get Stich OFF of the monorails....!!! I can't stand him anymore! Second off, I really hope that they at least keep River Country a little bit cleaner...some of that water looks so stagnant it kinda makes me feel sick! BLAH! :hurl:

tracyandalex

thanks so much for the pics. i was so young when i went to discovery island that i can barely remember it. thanks for helping me relive the memories.:kiss:

Connor002

i think the problem was that RC wasn't built to handle all thoes people.

opening it up as a water park is out of the question cause i doubt it could handle it.

if they opened it up as the pool for Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground it would cost too much for to little turn around

i see why they closed it down, but i still wish they hadn't

Sadamxalp

but i still dont understand, what was the real reason tht river country closed? and if it wasnt bulit for so much people they should of made a park compasity # then in the morning opened the park to only SO many people then closed it to other guest.

Figment1986

opening it as a pool for wilderness campgrounds and lodge is not out of the question.. just charge everyone a little bit more for the pool coasts....

sheryl2007

Bluewaves said:
I went to WDW a number of times when River Country was open, I still could never figure out just how to get there, we tried once and asked cast members and bus drivers and so on we tried all morning once and said forget about it and went back the hotel pool, only reason we tried was typhoon and bb reached capacity already.
You had to go the the Fort Wilderness Campground first ,then walk to RC. We went AFTER TL and BB and were naturally dissapionted, I think it was great before they opened. Sad to see it in such disrepair.I'm sure DI is still very inhabited with animals, just the ones who chose to be there! Great pictures , Thanks so much!:D

josh_e_washie said:
Ok, first off, they need to get Stich OFF of the monorails....!!! I can't stand him anymore! Second off, I really hope that they at least keep River Country a little bit cleaner...some of that water looks so stagnant it kinda makes me feel sick! BLAH! :hurl:

Kudos on the stitch comment..he's taking over!! LOL...First the crappy ride...and the annoying advertising on the monorails...and now look! LOL

Robfasto

Original Poster
River Country:

10 River Country Pictures

History: The first water park in the entire world.
In late 1975, construction began on the first "mini" theme park opened at the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort. River Country, a Disney version of an old-fashioned swimming hole, rests on the edge of Bay Lake in Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. It features flume and raft rides, a nature trail, and a large beach. This park gets its water supply from an intake/filter pipe in Bay Lake. Water is sent along the lake bottom into a pump system located inside River Country's artificial mountain. From there it is forced down the flume troughs at about 8,500 gallons per minute, providing water for the flumes, and continually replenishing River Country's water supply. A large rubber "bladder" separates the park's water from regular lake water, with the help of a sensor system that keeps it inflated exactly six inches above the lake. Excess water from River Country spills over the bladder, replenishing Bay Lake. River Country opened in June 1976.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i wish they could save the waterslide, it looks to be in ok condition (frame, supports)..... that was the best part for me........

WDWFanatic

I may be wrong but i think a main reason for closing down the park was the fear of the fresh water bacteria that has been a problem in florida. I heard about it on this site some time ago. It can get into your system thru your ears, mouth, etc. and cause serious problems to your body. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom