River Country Pictures - 2005

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
WDWFanatic said:
I may be wrong but i think a main reason for closing down the park was the fear of the fresh water bacteria that has been a problem in florida. I heard about it on this site some time ago. It can get into your system thru your ears, mouth, etc. and cause serious problems to your body. :(
EXACTOMUNDO.

not to mention a mouth full of pool water is a little differnt then a mouth full of lake water.

Robfasto

Original Poster
WDWFanatic said:
I may be wrong but i think a main reason for closing down the park was the fear of the fresh water bacteria that has been a problem in florida. I heard about it on this site some time ago. It can get into your system thru your ears, mouth, etc. and cause serious problems to your body. :(

I had thought off that also... but what I have read the River Country was filtered.

A large rubber "bladder" separates the park's water from regular lake water, with the help of a sensor system that keeps it inflated exactly six inches above the lake. Excess water from River Country spills over the bladder, replenishing Bay Lake.

mrtoad

Thanks for sharing. The River Country ones make so sad. I loved it as a kid.

Do you know when they changed to the newer monorails with the automatic doors rather than the ones where a CM had to shut each door?

Thanks,
Mike

KaliSplash

TinkerBell9988 said:
Poor River Country. I never got the chance to experience it, but it sure did look like fun. :( Oh well...

By the way, DisneyPix.com rocks!! :sohappy:

As far as River Country was concerned, it paled in comparison to TL or BB. But it was neat at the time. the time being the late 70s and early 80s.

There were 2 or possibly 3 tube rides, a pool and a cove of Bay Lake and a beach. That is all.

Pongo

KaliSplash said:
As far as River Country was concerned, it paled in comparison to TL or BB. But it was neat at the time. the time being the late 70s and early 80s.

There were 2 or possibly 3 tube rides, a pool and a cove of Bay Lake and a beach. That is all.

I thought that River Country was much better than the other two parks. Always more intimate and less crowded. It had fewer rides (only one tube ride, two body slides, and also the pool with the drop off slides) but it had some other unique pats about it too (the boom swing, swimming in actual lake water, sand in you toes).

I think it was the intangibles that really made River Country so appealing to my family. It was always our favored water park over Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

Robfasto

Original Poster
mrtoad said:
Thanks for sharing. The River Country ones make so sad. I loved it as a kid.

Do you know when they changed to the newer monorails with the automatic doors rather than the ones where a CM had to shut each door?

Thanks,
Mike

The started the monorail change over late in 1989 and ended late 1990 or early 1991

mrtoad

I agree 100%.

Pongo said:
I thought that River Country was much better than the other two parks. Always more intimate and less crowded. It had fewer rides (only one tube ride, two body slides, and also the pool with the drop off slides) but it had some other unique pats about it too (the boom swing, swimming in actual lake water, sand in you toes).

I think it was the intangibles that really made River Country so appealing to my family. It was always our favored water park over Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

mrtoad

Robfasto said:
The started the monorail change over late in 1989 and ended late 1990 or early 1991

Thanks. I miss the old monorails. Just for the fond childhood memories. My sisters and I talk about sitting listening as the slams got closer and closer trying to figure out when yours would be next. The excitement.... :)

joel_maxwell

mrtoad said:
Thanks. I miss the old monorails. Just for the fond childhood memories. My sisters and I talk about sitting listening as the slams got closer and closer trying to figure out when yours would be next. The excitement.... :)
wow, you just sparked some memories of my family doing the same thing. i had forgotten about that. i guess now that i thought about it, next time i visit ill be sad for a moment

but yes, the anticipation was great..... i can still hear that cluck-click-bang (that is my best description)

mrtoad

jmaxwell007 said:
wow, you just sparked some memories of my family doing the same thing. i had forgotten about that. i guess now that i thought about it, next time i visit ill be sad for a moment

but yes, the anticipation was great..... i can still hear that cluck-click-bang (that is my best description)

Sorry, did not want to cause sadness for you...

At least there still are monorails. Even though we stay at POR usually, we always go for at least one monorail spin for the love of it on each trip.

joel_maxwell

mrtoad said:
Sorry, did not want to cause sadness for you...

At least there still are monorails. Even though we stay at POR usually, we always go for at least one monorail spin for the love of it on each trip.
ill take the bus to the TTC then go to MK or EPCOT just to ride the monorail. well, not in the really busy season...... you know the mad house there, but yes, i love the monorail.

oh, it is a good sadness........... like women that say it is a "good cry" :lookaroun

Disneyfan1981

An Opportunity gone the way of the Dodo...

I never got a chance to take in River Country. I'm not sure if it was open in 2000, when I made my first trip but being WDW Amateurs we didn't have enough time to slam everything into a five day trip. I have friends and family that went saying that they loved to just relax and take in the atmosphere of the place....oh well I guess I'll be comforted by the Ultra Water Wedgies on Summit Plummet....

mrtoad

Disneyfan1981 said:
I never got a chance to take in River Country. I'm not sure if it was open in 2000, when I made my first trip but being WDW Amateurs we didn't have enough time to slam everything into a five day trip. I have friends and family that went saying that they loved to just relax and take in the atmosphere of the place....oh well I guess I'll be comforted by the Ultra Water Wedgies on Summit Plummet....

It was closed well before that though I don't konw the exact year. They closed I think for refurbishment and never re-opened which is one of the reasons why rehabs on some older attractions scare some people. They get nervous it will never re-open.

djmatthews

If I recall I think it closed August 2001. We arrived in Orlando on September 1st 2001, and seem to recall saying that we wouldn't be visting River Country as it had "closed for the season".

Robfasto

Original Poster
The easiest way would be to catch a boat from the Magic Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary Resort to Fort Wilderness. When you get off the boat and get near Pioneer Hall just follow the path to the right and it lead right to the entrance of River Country.

theTank524

I just wanted know how you got to sit in the front of the monorail because i always wanted to do that with my family, and i wanted to know if there was a certain amount of people that could go in the front.

OliveMcFly

Tank - When you in line just ask a CM if you and your family can sit up front. There is a limit of 4 people in the front. Keep asking whenever you can. We've done it a lot and it's really cool. Also, try getting the monorail from a resort. Your chances are better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom