River Country anyone?

luvmykids

Original Poster
Does anyone remember River Country? I remember it fondly, but my husband and I can't agree where it was. Was it where Wilderness Lodge is now?

ErickainPA

You can still see if if you are on the boat from MK or Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness. And of course if you are at Fort Wilderness, you would go to the right after leaving the dock.

PolynesianPixie

You can catch a glimpse of River Country if you go to Mickey's Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. It is closed now, but much of it is still there.

raven

WDW07318-1.jpg

Mimi

Yay! I did it! I hope I can do it again because I just found all my mom's old slides. Most of them are from the late 70's to early 80's.

Nansafan

I heard that there was bacteria in the water that was dangerous, something like that.

There are numerous threads on River Country in this forum with other great pictures. As stated above it was closed because of bacteria in the water common in lakes of Florida. This is also why you can't swim in Seven Seas Lagoon, Bay Lake or any other waterway on WDW property.

luvmykids

Original Poster
Great pictures...exactly how I remember it. I didn't realize it was still intact. I'll ahve to tracve that direction when I go in May just to see it. The water was defintely always cold, but when it's 90+ degrees it feels real good.

Sad it closed. They should redesign it and make it in man made pools with chlorine. I'm sure the imagineers can make it look idnetical to the original, but safe as well.

aaron2525

it wasnt closed because of bacteria, but by amoeba's which are protozoa. they are are extremely rare but are found in florida lakes and waterways. we have had a few deaths this year as a result of these microbes. now your an expert :)

Spyne

I think it is very odd that River Country seems to still be intact but sitting there "lifeless". I do hope they do something about that area, so it's not just sitting there as wasted space.

kc1296426

It was announced in January of 05' that Disney's River Country would be permantly closed. Much of the park is actually still there...I know some of my dumb CM friends that still come there at night just to "hang out". During Mickey's BBQ they still use the restrooms and lockers that was used in River Country. Those are probaly the only thing from River Country that are still restored and kept to date. I remember going to the BBQ, and they walled off River Country, with signs on it saying "Sorry, River Country is closed".

It is kind of easy to sneak in River Country because of its shadey-ness and lack of security. But of course, don't do it.

wedway71

Im glad I got to go before it closed in mid 90s. I have been going to WDW since 1971 and my family just never really felt it worth while to spend money swimming while at WDW since we lived in Ft Lauderdale and swam ALL the time in pools and the beach.

I wish there is something they can do with it and if they cant they need to demolish to the ground and clean it up.

Cynderella

I love love loved river country and I was sooo sad they closed it. We used to love the slides so much. We'd go down get out and get right back in line. It was such a fun place. If it was still open I'd go there over the other 2 any day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom