ripoff

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
AP'ers already get more than their share of discounts as it is now.

It seems like the more they get, the more they want.

Andrew54

Yes I believe some things are priced above reasonable value. This is last trip I just about fell over at the register when my energy drink rang up $6. But I think Disney offers alot of great way to save money. They Magic your way tickets and the dining plans can amount into some very good savings.

daliseurat

While I certainly think I get LESS for my money today at WDW than I did previously, I still have to say that Disney provides excellent family entertainment for a good price, considering the amount of entertainment one can have per day and not repeat anything. I do think food is overpriced in many places, but in others well worth the price for the experience. And with the amount of available info online these days, no one should be unaware of any nasty surprises.

Wilt Dasney

My opinion: The privilege to get in the gate and just experience the place is fairly priced, and even undervalued with the multi-day admission discounts.

Pretty much all tangible items within the parks and resorts, from meals to merchandise, carry bloated price tags and with few exceptions are not worth what Disney asks for them.

Maybe it's a wash taken as a whole? :shrug:

xtina72

Well, you cant just hold that down to Disney....I feel like the insurance company is ripping me off...the gas company is ripping me off....the phone company, the guy who just snow plowed my road....the guy who cuts the grass, the cell phone company....the grocery store....the guy who sold me out xmas tree this year.....the girl who waxes my eyebrows...the girl who cuts my hair....the barber who cuts my sons hair....the movies! MY GOODNESS! ITS $9.50 for a movie now! THATS being ripped off!

I could go on and on here, so ya know, lets be fair. :lol:

Skylinecar1982

Well, you cant just hold that down to Disney....I feel like the insurance company is ripping me off...the gas company is ripping me off....the phone company, the guy who just snow plowed my road....the guy who cuts the grass, the cell phone company....the grocery store....the guy who sold me out xmas tree this year.....the girl who waxes my eyebrows...the girl who cuts my hair....the barber who cuts my sons hair....the movies! MY GOODNESS! ITS $9.50 for a movie now! THATS being ripped off!

I could go on and on here, so ya know, lets be fair. :lol:

Exactly! Well put.

Dwarful

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say 'ripoff'. However, I do feel the value for my trip to wdw has gone down hill over the past say 9 yrs. It started out as little things that slowly started adding up and then boom one day your like "wow! I remember when ...the Ice Cool Station was more of an attraction where you could really 'chill', ....when a buffet worth $18 was $18 not $38 because of 'seasonal holiday pricing' the first week in June, when people with toddlers could easily rent a stroller in the park and not need to take out a second mortgage to do so (my kids are way beyond stroller age (9&13), when e-ride nights were $10 a person and the parks were hardly full...compared to the over priced Princess & Pirate Parties, when resort refill mugs were resort themed and something you gladly purchased as a memento of a good trip, when the 'value' resorts were a 'value'....you get the idea. Slowly, over time Disney has driven prices up and value down...and some people will say 'wow' what a rip off. Others will say "I love WDW and would spend what ever it takes.
Our last trip was at Boardwalk, it was a nice resort. We had a nice trip, but the value of the room wasn't worth the full price rack rate...not compared to what we pay for 'deluxe' resorts elsewhere, we didn't pay rack rate but if I had to go when no 'deals' were offered I doubt I'd spend the money on the dlx. resorts simply because I can get more bang for my buck elsewhere.
Now, we are planning on getting AP's this year and getting 'ripped off' two or three times this year!

Phonedave

Well, I define a ripoff when you are promised something have a reasonable expectation of something at a given price, and then that something does not live up to your expectations.

Like when you pay $5 extra to see the sideshow at the carnival, and all it is, is a guy lifting up empty car battery shells with his nipple rings.

or

When you book a hotel on line and it looks like a great deal for the price, but then when you get there, your balcony opens onto the blank wall of the next building 3 feet away, which serves as a highway for palmetto bugs.

I have been to WDW enough to know what it costs and what I am going to get. SO in that sense it is not a ripoff. However, as of late, it is continuing to go up in price and down in value. Push it far enough, and I may decide to stop going.

-dave

Susan Savia

No...I wouldn't call it that. Things are expensive everywhere. A box of cereal for $4, a movie for $9. Our last trip in January 2009 we bought the stuffed pretzels in MK and a couple days later went back and they'd gone up 75cents. Went ahead and got one anyways. We were on vacation and thats what we wanted. I think Disney does an Excellent job of giving me the value of my pass each time we walk in one of their gates. (We have been AP holders for years.) We for one do not see the Value in spending $400 a day for a room in a Disney resort. We're in the parks from morning to late and our room offsite provides us our needs exactly. With Queen beds, free internet, a fridge and microwave and parking at the door. I guess it depends on how you look at it...:rolleyes:

valleyfan

You want to feel ripped off, we went to the Pirate dinner on I-Drive last week and bought 4 cokes at the pre show, $18, I thought I heard wrong but I didn't.

captainkidd

Nope. I spend about 3 weeks at Disney every year and never feel as though I'm being ripped off. It's expensive and it's not all perfect, but I've never regretted a dime I've spent there.

EaglesfanNJ

You want to feel ripped off, we went to the Pirate dinner on I-Drive last week and bought 4 cokes at the pre show, $18, I thought I heard wrong but I didn't.

Good call.......... I never felt like i was being ripped by Disney before.........Until this past Saturday when i took my daughter to see "Disney On Ice". Don't get me wrong it was a great show and the ticket prices were reasonable. You walk in and are bomarded by people wanting to take your pictures so you can buy a $30 package of 4x6 pictures. We are in our seats and the popcorn guy comes down the aisle.....I ask for one....he says $12!!! I'm going.....$12??? He says yes, it's a take home tub with Mickey Mouse on it.....LOL... $15 for a tiny program, $25 for a princess light up wand. You get the idea...

As far as the park experience is concerned, absolutely not. I've spent much more $ on Non-Disney vacations and did not feel like i got the value for my $ the way i did when i'm at Disney. At Disney not only do you get the park experience for your $, you get the character/CM's interaction, you get Downtown Disney, you get the small things like at All Star Music with the movie night by the pool and the games they play. Plan accordingly like we did this past Septemeber, and you get the meal plan added, you get the transportation to and from the airport, transportation anywhere on Disney property. And most of all for me, you just get that feel when you walk through the gates, that Disney feel noone else can duplicate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom