RIP The Great Movie Ride

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
One of the biggest punches in the gut at D23 was confirmation we would lose the original MGM Studios Icon, The Great Movie Ride.

The concept of traveling through the movies was always appealing. I remember it being the very first ride I visited as a child and always re-visiting multiple times throughout the trip.

A prolific crowd eater, the line never seemed too long, particularly when entertained by the pre-show theater reminiscing and appreciating the classic movies in history (ETHAN, NO YOU DON'T!)

I'm so sad to see it go but even more sad it is closing in such short order. It will close 8/13/17. I'm happy I was fortunate enough to ride several times this June, though I didn't know it would be the last. :(

You will not be forgotten and they'll always be a special place in our hearts.

Please share your favorite memories of the Great Movie Ride and may I encourage everyone to watch the ouststanding tribute to The Great Movie Ride done by our very own @marni1971 (Credit to him for this video).

great-movie-ride-night.jpg

Last edited:

ChristyKay

So sad to see this go ): I went on it for the first time when I was really young and didn't know any of the movies (except Tarzan and Wizard of Oz) but it made me want to go watch all those movies. I also have great memories of hiding in my moms lap during the Alien scene :hilarious:. Not to mention it's a great attraction to get you out of the heat for 20 minutes ;)

Edit: anyone know when it's expected to close??

Last edited:

John park hopper

Really don't understand why it is being relegate to obsolete rides park. Did not realize our ride this past May was to be our last, so sad to see it go. It can't be for lack of attendance as the line was quit long. IMHO it just needed an update. GMR is the last of the DIsney MGM era, it opened in 1989 and our first ride was on our trip in 1990. Loved it then and still do, it will live on in our memories.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Considering Disney did not renew its license for the IPs owned now by AT&T, it was a forgone conclusion that it was slated for replacement.

Rental IPs like POwer Rangers, Teenage Mutant Turtles and now the TCM cataloge of characters are tenuous at best.

Courtney6682

So sad to see this go ): I went on it for the first time when I was really young and didn't know any of the movies (except Tarzan and Wizard of Oz) but it made me want to go watch all those movies. I also have great memories of hiding in my moms lap during the Alien scene :hilarious:. Not to mention it's a great attraction to get you out of the heat for 20 minutes ;)

Edit: anyone know when it's expected to close??

August 13th I believe

Princess Kaylee

I'm glad I will be there in a month. I'll make an effort to ride it a few times and take pictures. It's one of my favorite rides, and I'll be very sad to see it go.

KBLovedDisney

This was the one ride that not only the queue was amazing, but the ride itself was just as amazing. I did like it a better before the TCM upgrade, however, when the CMs were your guide. I loved just walking through the queue line, hearing the background music, seeing the movie memorabilia (probably the closest I am ever going to get to the real Chinese Theater).

Darth Figment

Such a bummer , I was hoping for an updated ride with new AA'S. This ride was always in my last day park hopper rerides. Let's hope the Mickey/Minnie ride is worthy of this replacement.

Kamikaze

Is this confirmed? My trip is booked for the last week in August...

Yes, its the 13th.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-railway-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

As you plan ahead, we also wanted to let you know that in order to begin to prepare the new home of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway at the Chinese Theatre in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, August 13, 2017 will be the final day of operation for The Great Movie Ride presented by Turner Classic Movies. Until August 13, you can still relive some of the greatest movie moments in history on the Great Movie Ride attraction.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom