Ride References in New Pirates Movie

Highland_Holly

spoilers
A few thoughts... I cracked up when I read that several of you thought this installment was "Empire-esque" because that is EXACTLY what I said to my husband as we left the theater!

I think so many people like the Black Pearl better, because it is so unexpected! We enjoy the fun of meeting Jack Sparrow (et al) for the first time... in essence "discovering" them through the film. In Dead Man's Chest, we already "know" the characters, so we are now just watching them through another adventure. It is a different experience... and to some, less enjoyable. FYI, I LOVED this movie!

I have a couple of unanswered questions too...
1) What is the history between Jack & Beckett?
2) What does Beckett REALLY want with the heart?
3) Did anyone else notice the heart shaped silver piece on the table when Jack stole the ring from the swamp chickie? It was VERY similar to the lock on Davy Jones' chest.
4) Will the ring Jack stole factor in? There was a close up of it when he was removing his hand from the shackle...
5) How did Elizabeth get let out if the dog had the keys???

And two comments
1) The Kraken spit out Jack's hat because it had eaten it earlier... it just HAPPENED to come out during the "breath"... I don't believe that the Kraken is intelligent enough a being to become "friends" with Jack (or to have selectively ejected Jack's hat on purpose). Jack will battle his way out from the inside.
2) There WAS a song... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum... at the beginning of the film... isn't that in the ride too?

Holly

T-1MILLION

darthjohnny said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but when everyone says they miss the song, do they mean "Yo ho, yo ho". Also since it doesn't seem to be in this movie, nor the first, does anyone think they'll ever add one of the most famous scenes to the movie, the Auction scene? I think they could seeing that Elizabeth will be captured by the Chinese pirate and Barbossa will return.

The song was kind of in the first. It was referenced when Jack and Liz were on the island and she sang a few lines of the chorus and then again when jack says the last line of the movie.

The auction wenches have been referenced in both films...Scarlet was the one that gave a slap to jack in one scene in the first..and she makes a similar appearence with fellow wench in the second one.

T-1MILLION

Yo ho and a bottle of rum is from a REAL old pirate song...not the "yo ho" written for the attractions...15 men on a dead man's chest..just happen to fit the theme of Dead man's chest. The fiction just fit with the real song since the movie's story was inspired by that song basicly.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people think...me included as of right now that the ring jack stole from Tia Dalma in the bayou was actually something to help him live through the kraken...after all..she is vood doo and it showed a close up of the ring as he used to oil from the lamp to free himself from the shackle.:wave:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for beckett..he is the short guy right?

I am just guessing that guy has a napoleon kind of personality..he just wants the world...hence leading up to at world's end.

hcswingfield

T-1MILLION said:
As for all pirate lore....Davy Jones always had power. He is immortal. He is basicly when it comes down to it, the Pirate's version of Poseidon. Same exact character. God of the seas that can control the Kraken. Not sure how the movie is going to play it but that is how it is in pirate lore. If a pirate says that "He are going to send ya to davy jones" that would mean he is going to sink you and have you die at the bottom of the ocean, meet davy jones.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER---------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

in response to Jimbojones if you want to know what comes after the credits.

After the credits a tribal dance appears to be going on with heavy beating drums from the cannibal island and natives dancing..as the camera pans you then see the dog that usually has the keys with a nice juicy (and you have to assume human) bone in his mouth. So basicly he was on the throne and the new god of the island and it goes to black after the last beat of the drum........kind of makes you feel bad for what could happen to the dog when it comes time to do the sacrafice of the flesh eh? haha. I am sure he will find a way to get out of it. Dog seems to be the smartest character of the cast most of the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! There was an awful lot of water all the way through that film, and there was no way my bladder was going to make it all the way through the credits!!!!!:lol:

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Looking forward to the DVD where I can view certain scenes over and over to study them. Depp, Knightly and Bloom are AWESOME!!!!

JimboJones123

Original Poster
T-1MILLION said:
As for all pirate lore....Davy Jones always had power. He is immortal. He is basicly when it comes down to it, the Pirate's version of Poseidon. Same exact character. God of the seas that can control the Kraken. Not sure how the movie is going to play it but that is how it is in pirate lore. If a pirate says that "He are going to send ya to davy jones" that would mean he is going to sink you and have you die at the bottom of the ocean, meet davy jones.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER---------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

in response to Jimbojones if you want to know what comes after the credits.

After the credits a tribal dance appears to be going on with heavy beating drums from the cannibal island and natives dancing..as the camera pans you then see the dog that usually has the keys with a nice juicy (and you have to assume human) bone in his mouth. So basicly he was on the throne and the new god of the island and it goes to black after the last beat of the drum........kind of makes you feel bad for what could happen to the dog when it comes time to do the sacrafice of the flesh eh? haha. I am sure he will find a way to get out of it. Dog seems to be the smartest character of the cast most of the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks, you knew the dog would come back!

JimboJones123

Original Poster
T-1MILLION said:
The song was kind of in the first. It was referenced when Jack and Liz were on the island and she sang a few lines of the chorus and then again when jack says the last line of the movie.

The auction wenches have been referenced in both films...Scarlet was the one that gave a slap to jack in one scene in the first..and she makes a similar appearence with fellow wench in the second one.

It was also the VERY FIRST THING in the movie, when Elizabeth is already obcessing over pirates singing it before Will floats up.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Highland_Holly said:
spoilers

2) There WAS a song... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum... at the beginning of the film... isn't that in the ride too?

Holly

Yes, it's a traditional pirate song. Not in the attraction though??? that I know of. Actually, in elementry school (weird that we sang of RUM, but it was the early 80's, much has changed since then) We sang that song for a school play w/pirates. It is long in the lore -- like the Kraken or Leviathian.

ALSO, are they both referenced as the same creature in this, Kraken/Leviathian? Or have we just not seen the Leviantian? They are seperate creatures but both referenced by somebody in the movie as being under Davy Jones's control. Will we get Leviathian action in the next movie? Or have they just melded these legendary creatures together in this?

shoppingnut

Highland_Holly said:
spoilers

3) Did anyone else notice the heart shaped silver piece on the table when Jack stole the ring from the swamp chickie? It was VERY similar to the lock on Davy Jones' chest.

I also noticed that Davy Jones had the same heart shaped music box on the organ he was playing which, btw reminded me of Dr. Phibes.

I thought the movie was excellent, but there was so much action and things going on, I need to see it again because I'm sure I must have missed a few things.

PurpleDragon

Highland_Holly said:
I have a couple of unanswered questions too...
1) What is the history between Jack & Beckett?
2) What does Beckett REALLY want with the heart?
4) Will the ring Jack stole factor in? There was a close up of it when he was removing his hand from the shackle...
5) How did Elizabeth get let out if the dog had the keys???

Holly

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!-------------------------------------------

1.) In the first movie there are multiple references to Jack having run ins with the East India Trading Company and escaping. Beckett is the head of the EITC, and he is the one who put the "P" mark on Jacks forearm next to his sparrow tattoo. In one scene Beckett mentions leaving his mark on Jack, right as he pulls the "P" branding iron from the fire. :)

2.)This is mentioned in the movie, if you watch it again it is explained. He wants the heart so he can control Davey Jones and thus control to ocean so the EITC can monopolize the internation trading routes.

3.)That seems like a logical conclusion, its very subtle but the multiple references and closeups makes one think it has an effect on the outcome of the next movie.

4.) Good question, there must have been a second set made cause no one could ever catch the dog. :p

Highland_Holly

ALSO, are they both referenced as the same creature in this, Kraken/Leviathian? Or have we just not seen the Leviantian? They are seperate creatures but both referenced by somebody in the movie as being under Davy Jones's control. Will we get Leviathian action in the next movie? Or have they just melded these legendary creatures together in this?

I also thought it was odd that they talked about the Leviathan early on, then spoke of/used the Kraken... they are distinctly different creatures (in folklore, that is). Maybe a writing mistake?

T-1MILLION

JimboJones123 said:
It was also the VERY FIRST THING in the movie, when Elizabeth is already obcessing over pirates singing it before Will floats up.

Very true..how did I foget that one??? oh well.

Yeah they used the same singing voice for most of the trailers to Dead man's chest.

tink81

--------------------SPOLIER SPOILER------------------------

OK, so what is the importance of the EITC stuff Jack finds in the cave while trying to escape from the natives (he sprinkles the paprika on his underarms)? Is this significant, or just a trivial set of props? Or perhaps will everythung reveal itself in due time?

I was a little confused as others have stated about how Bootstrap Bill is part of Davy Jones' crew? Did he make that deal while the curse still had hold of him? Unable to live, unable to die so he thought he'd take his chances w? Davey?

I had to giggle (ok laugh out loud) when Tom Hollander (Beckett) appeared! He has taken some roles in a alot of British films that are hialrious! I found it hard to consider him a serious character.

Buried20KLeague

PurpleDragon said:
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!-------------------------------------------

1.) In the first movie there are multiple references to Jack having run ins with the East India Trading Company and escaping. Beckett is the head of the EITC, and he is the one who put the "P" mark on Jacks forearm next to his sparrow tattoo. In one scene Beckett mentions leaving his mark on Jack, right as he pulls the "P" branding iron from the fire. :)

2.)This is mentioned in the movie, if you watch it again it is explained. He wants the heart so he can control Davey Jones and thus control to ocean so the EITC can monopolize the internation trading routes.

3.)That seems like a logical conclusion, its very subtle but the multiple references and closeups makes one think it has an effect on the outcome of the next movie.

4.) Good question, there must have been a second set made cause no one could ever catch the dog. :p

SPOILER SPEAK AHEAD....

The only thing I wanted to add here was that it seemed quite clear that by running a dagger through the heart, you were KILLING Davey Jones, and at the same time acquiring the power he held... Which the East India Trading Co. wants to monopolize control of the seas for trade purposes. I don't believe it was about "controlling Davey Jones". If that were the case, and posession was all that was needed, you'd have had something similar to Aladdin... Different guy gets the heart, then calls to Davey Jones to do his bidding. Didn't work that way... Jones was out there trying to find his heart just like everyone else. And he didn't even have a "sixth sense" kind of sensation about it. He didn't know where it was or who had it. They chased after an empty chest for quite a long time.

Don't forget, all three were fighting for the heart for different purposes... Will to kill Davey Jones and get his father freed... Jack to get out of the debt he owed to Davey (presumeably by giving Davey back his heart), and the Commodore to get back respect and rank with the military commanders. They all had different motivation.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Highland_Holly said:
I also thought it was odd that they talked about the Leviathan early on, then spoke of/used the Kraken... they are distinctly different creatures (in folklore, that is). Maybe a writing mistake?

I don't think it was a "mistake". Especially with Disney's use of both creatures, Laviathan in Atlantis, and Kraken in Atlantis 2. So they are teasing us with the carrot "me thinks".

JimboJones123

Original Poster
OH -- WHAT THE HECK WAS UP WITH THE BEGINNING? Was that a deep tease for the third movie? Or was it just a red herring that Jack was escaping from?

Highland_Holly said:
spoilers

I would assume that the ring once belonged to our dear friend we see coming down the stairs at the end. You can see him wearing it throughout the first movie. I think the ring was just a little detail to catch on a second or third watching to lead you to the ending. Also in Tia Dalma's shack you'll notice Jack pick up his hat for a few seconds and look at it for a bit. I can't believe I didn't realize the hat the first time I watched. Also the boots in the back, the monkey running straight to them. Once you know the ending, the details make it very obvious.

T-1MILLION

SPOILER SPOILER*******

I think that in the beginning those were where most pirates were taken to to be tortured or killed rather than hung. Jack just clervly escaped...DANG I was really trying to hold it off but I may just have to go see the movie again!....if I can afford it.

It is either all the action and subplots going on in every scene..or the plot holes...or a mix of the two. HA

PurpleDragon

Good point Buried20kleague. But I'm sure that by holding the heart and threatening to destroy it would convince Mr. Jones to do your bidding, at least for a time till he figured out how to get it back.

I want to go back and see the movie again and see if I can find more subtle hints and such. I never even noticed that Jack picked up the hat and the monkey ran off to the boots, wasn't really thinking about it so I didn't pay much attention to the details. I think there are hints and secrets thruout the movie that many of us may not have noticed, so all the more reason to see it a second time. Besides that I loved the movie and want to see it again anyway. I honestly think I was a pirate in a former life.:p

shoppingnut

PurpleDragon said:
Good point Buried20kleague. But I'm sure that by holding the heart and threatening to destroy it would convince Mr. Jones to do your bidding, at least for a time till he figured out how to get it back.

I want to go back and see the movie again and see if I can find more subtle hints and such. I never even noticed that Jack picked up the hat and the monkey ran off to the boots, wasn't really thinking about it so I didn't pay much attention to the details. I think there are hints and secrets thruout the movie that many of us may not have noticed, so all the more reason to see it a second time. Besides that I loved the movie and want to see it again anyway. I honestly think I was a pirate in a former life.:p

I think in the third movie we are going to see Davy Jones step on land which he is allowed to do once every 10 years. I also need to see the movie again since there was so much going on it was hard to catch everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom