Revenge Vacation: Only Actual Data Need Apply

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, the topic of "Revenge Travel" keeps popping up. Everyone agrees the naming convention is dumb. But many many people believe the phenomenon is real: That people have a pent-up demand for vacation because of the past two years of travel restrictions, and so, people are now exuberantly jumping at taking vacations such that the level of vacationing is at or surpassing the pre-pandemic rate of travel/vacationing.

Are they, tho?

There are a lot of polls saying that's what people *intend* on doing. But, are they doing it?

There are a lot of anecdotal accounts, but, anecdotes can be misleading... it's not actual evidence.

And here is the most frustrating part when trying to find data: Over and over again there are articles saying that trips, and flights, and cruises, and bookings are up, up, UP!!!.... But they compare it to last year! You know, the year of restrictive travel rules. And a pandemic.

Yeah, comparing what's happening now to last year is *of course* going to show travel and vacationing is up.

The real comparison would be to ask: Is it at or above the pre-pandemic levels?

And the answer to that is: No. Despite lots of predictions that Revenge Travel is taking off, it hasn't manifested in actual data when compared to pre-pandemic levels.

Of course when people had been accustomed to yearly traveling, but a pandemic shuts that down for two years, they then are eager to travel again. Of course. But, is it a surge that rivals and surpasses pre-pandemic traveling and vacationing? Actual data says... not yet.

“We’re approaching prepandemic numbers,” said Andrew Gobeil, a spokesman for Hartsfield–Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, the world’s busiest airport. He said on Friday that he expected more than 2 million passengers between Thursday and Wednesday.
“It’s an honest appraisal of where we stand,” he said. “Everyone is pretty thrilled.”
Los Angeles International Airport is expecting around 200,000 passengers a day, about 40 percent more from Memorial Day weekend last year. “We’re not back to normal here,” said Heath Montgomery, an airport spokesman, adding that passenger volume was still down about 25 percent from 2019.
So, "approaching" pre-pandemic number is not the same as being at or surpassing. No extra surge has been seen so far in any data that I could find.

If anyone can find data on what's actually happening now compared to pre-pandemic times (and not just last year), I welcome seeing those. For it seems indeed that vacationing is making a comeback, but not in any sort of extraordinary vengeful rate.

Dranth

So, the topic of "Revenge Travel" keeps popping up. Everyone agrees the naming convention is dumb. But many many people believe the phenomenon is real: That people have a pent-up demand for vacation because of the past two years of travel restrictions, and so, people are now exuberantly jumping at taking vacations such that the level of vacationing is at or surpassing the pre-pandemic rate of travel/vacationing.

Are they, tho?

There are a lot of polls saying that's what people *intend* on doing. But, are they doing it?

There are a lot of anecdotal accounts, but, anecdotes can be misleading... it's not actual evidence.

And here is the most frustrating part when trying to find data: Over and over again there are articles saying that trips, and flights, and cruises, and bookings are up, up, UP!!!.... But they compare it to last year! You know, the year of restrictive travel rules. And a pandemic.

Yeah, comparing what's happening now to last year is *of course* going to show travel and vacationing is up.

And the answer to that is: No. Despite lots of predictions that Revenge Travel is taking off, it hasn't manifested in actual data when compared to pre-pandemic levels.

Of course when people had been accustomed to yearly traveling, but a pandemic shuts that down for two years, they then are eager to travel again. Of course. But, is it a surge that rivals and surpasses pre-pandemic traveling and vacationing? Actual data says... not yet.

“We’re approaching prepandemic numbers,” said Andrew Gobeil, a spokesman for Hartsfield–Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, the world’s busiest airport. He said on Friday that he expected more than 2 million passengers between Thursday and Wednesday.
“It’s an honest appraisal of where we stand,” he said. “Everyone is pretty thrilled.”
Los Angeles International Airport is expecting around 200,000 passengers a day, about 40 percent more from Memorial Day weekend last year. “We’re not back to normal here,” said Heath Montgomery, an airport spokesman, adding that passenger volume was still down about 25 percent from 2019.
So, "approaching" pre-pandemic number is not the same as being at or surpassing. No extra surge has been seen so far in any data that I could find.

If anyone can find data on what's actually happening now compared to pre-pandemic times (and not just last year), I welcome seeing those. For it seems indeed that vacationing is making a comeback, but not in any sort of extraordinary vengeful rate.
I think both things can be true. There is pent up demand exceeding 2019 and we are not at 2019 levels mainly due to capacity.

WDW can’t staff enough to let more people in so there could be more demand than pre-pandemic but less over all people going. Same with airlines. Sure, they are filling every seat but they are also doing less flights.

We certainly don’t have any definitive data either way but between what companies are saying and what anecdotal evidence we do have, it seems like it is a real thing.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
6i04f6.jpg

Kman

It’s too hard to compare though given the staffing shortages and supply chain issues affecting so many sectors right now.
If we are only comparing the actual numbers PRE-pandemic to now then staffing and supply chain issues don't matter. I agree it is a huge problem (in Toronto the waits are CRAZY in security and check-in). That being said if we are still below the actual numbers pre-pandemic then numbers are numbers. If an airport authority is saying they are physically 25% below pre-pandemic levels then we simply have NOT reached, and certainly, NOT exceeded pre-pandemic levels. To be fair, it probably FEELS like it is busier because of staffing shortages- something everyone is dealing with and hopefully something that can be corrected in short order! We are flying to Europe in late July- I certainly hope they get their #$%! together before we go!

Vegas Disney Fan

Are they, tho?

I’m not sure airports are an accurate representation of vacation travel because they rely so heavily on business travel, which is still down substantially. Business travel makes up about 20% of airline sales but about 75% of airlines profits (they’re the majority of the ones flying business/first class). This is also part of the reason there’s fewer flights now, along with employee shortages, less incentive to fly when your best paying customers aren’t flying.

Here in Vegas we are packed with tourists every weekend but still quieter midweek because the conventions and business meetings are still down. I’m not sure how you separate the two but finding data only for “revenge travel” (a stupid term) may be difficult.

Edit: I forgot to add international travel, Pre-pandemic about 20% of LAX passengers were business and 30% of passengers were international.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Travel is still no where near what it was pre pandemic.
I do believe int he revenge travel though although I don't think its happening as much now as it had been a year ago.
And I would say I experienced revenge travel at WDW in November as I went right after the Canadian restricts eased for ya know like 2 weeks.
I outwardly commented on the crowd and someone from Canada happened to hear me and said they were among a plane full of people going to WDW specifically...

Jrb1979

I'm sure we will have enough significant data to say either way it's a thing or not. From personal experience there is pent up demand to travel in general. It's not just Disney. I look at National parks and how booked up they are this summer. Same with a lot of regional parks.

I was just at Cedar Point last week and I have never seen it that busy for May before. I have been going there for years in May as it's usually a slower time. I do think there is a lot of pent up demand for travel in general right now. How long that will remain to be seen especially if gas prices and prices in general stay the way they are.

Kingoglow

I think travel just feels worse because of the staffing shortages, not increased vacationers. There are less flights pushing up prices and all the gates are compressed into one area with less attendants.

Once you get to your destination, it feels terrible because there is no staff to help you. The travel industry will frame this as a demand issue,but it isn’t. They fired everyone, who in-turn found other jobs. it is the tourism and travel industry that sucks right now, not more vacationers.

TheMaxRebo

I don't think it is more people traveling now, just those that want to and hadn't been are now more "desperate" to do so and are willing to put up with paying more and getting less in return

EPCOT-O.G.

I appreciate this post. I think it’s tough to gauge because stuff like perceptions (man those crowds look enormous!) and data comparisons (25 minute wait for Barnstormer? It’s packed!) don’t take into account the understaffing that’s occurred. I think many, many employers have never been able to get back to full employment. That’s why a restaurant we go to can’t seat us for an hour even though it’s half empty- they don’t have the staff.

I *do* think there is an element to revenge travel that does make it a legit phenomenon, though largely as a result of people 1) finally traveling after not going anywhere for two years, and 2) unused vacation or flight credits from cancelled trips in 2020.

EPCOT-O.G.

I think the issue is that business travel has not come back really and that was a majority of most travel.

Leisure Travel however, I believe is fully back.
Yes. I am not sure how many businesses can justify maxed-out business trips in the age of Zoom/Webex. It will be interesting to see the long term viability of those industries (certain airlines, convention centers, hotels that cater to that sort of thing) vs those built around recreation.

roj2323

I'd say it's true. I'm taking my second cruise this week and a third for this year is scheduled in October. (all virgin voyages if you're curious) I'm also looking at going to Dollywood sometime this summer. Sadly even though I'm 35 minutes from WDW I'm actually not planning any trips there as they still have the overwhelmingly dumb park reservation system which doesn't allow for spontaneity which is why I moved close to the parks nearly 10 years ago.

roj2323

How is Virgin Voyages? I’ve been looking at them.
I don't want this thread to veer off topic too much... but...
Pretty freaking amazing. It's very different from a traditional cruise line. I'd say it's more akin to an all inclusive resort. The food is top notch, the shows are a mix of off broadway and on broadway quality and the crew is actually excited to be there. It's a very relaxed environment.

That said, if you want to know more, look me up on Reddit as I've posted about it a few times on that site under the same screen name.

Patcheslee

Delta canceled 1 of 3 direct flights scheduled CVG-MCO and reverse on us last year in June. Then I saw headlines they were canceling flights this summer again due to multiple reasons starting in July. But again June flights have been cut. This isn't something new, airlines are offering multiple choices to get customers then dropping the ball.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just assumed “revenge travel” is a mislabeled travel backlog…based on the prices and consumer unfriendly tactics by the travel vendors (cough)…I never would have thought at all travel is actually increasing compared to 2015-2019 totals.

It’s possible more is being spent on the same or less actual product. Honk if that sounds familiar too?

Safe travels…nonetheless

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s too hard to compare though given the staffing shortages and supply chain issues affecting so many sectors right now.
You’re about the last person that keeps saying “shortages” when describing this on 5/30/22. Sounds like an excuse for a “certain” vendor who completely pooched their labor situation because they were DUMB

Disstevefan1

Are they, tho?

I have no data, but I was watching the MickeyViews YouTube. It was mid week, middle of the day, last week and this shows a mobbed MK over by pirates. There’s a lot of folks clogging the walk ways. This could be revenge travel or the failed Genie system:
24D3FE40-0FCF-4ED3-993F-558D563D579A.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom