Revenge Vacation: Only Actual Data Need Apply

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Like most of the time, I don’t even know what you you’re trying to say.
Stop making excuses for Disney sucking up their operation…

Does that work better?

I can judge some stuff based on horrible management:
1. Airlines
2. The Walt Disney company

The rest? Ok I might agree with you then 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who said I was talking specifically about Disney? This seems to be a general travel thread.
Who’s still claiming labor/supply issues in travel other than those two poorly run offerings at this point?

I’m sure there are more…but none seem to be run like the keystone cops as they are…

Chi84

Premium Member
Who said I was talking specifically about Disney? This seems to be a general travel thread.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Everyone is learning from gas and oil. If there is less of your product or service, you can charge more for it and make more money with less investment and people.

jloucks

Delta canceled 1 of 3 direct flights scheduled CVG-MCO and reverse on us last year in June. Then I saw headlines they were canceling flights this summer again due to multiple reasons starting in July. But again June flights have been cut. This isn't something new, airlines are offering multiple choices to get customers then dropping the ball.
All the while jacking prices way up. We went to vegas a few weeks ago and airfaire was ridiculous.

jloucks

Everything I have seen points to this phenomena as being true. Since January I have noticed crowds larger then I have ever seen before. Crowds at...
  • Local Ren Faire
  • Vegas
  • Airports/Airplanes
  • WDW
  • Local Events
  • Restaurants
  • Roads & Highways
...have all been at high or record levels.

I do think a lot of this has to do with pent up travel funding as well. People sitting at home doing nothing except working tend to build up some extra cash. Travel cash.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everything I have seen points to this phenomena as being true. Since January I have noticed crowds larger then I have ever seen before. Crowds at...
  • Local Ren Faire
  • Vegas
  • Airports/Airplanes
  • WDW
  • Local Events
  • Restaurants
  • Roads & Highways

I do think a lot of this has to do with pent up travel funding as well. People sitting at home doing nothing except working tend to build up some extra cash. Travel cash.
…I know you’re not talking about Americans? 😂

Chi84

Premium Member
Everyone is learning from gas and oil. If there is less of your product or service, you can charge more for it and make more money with less investment and people.
I'm sure some are doing this. But what seems to have happened where I live is that a lot of people in the lower paying jobs used the COVID disruption to change jobs and find better positions. Virtually every grocery store, restaurant, hotel, etc. has a sign out front saying "hiring at all positions."

Our favorite quick service restaurant is still serving a limited menu because they are having trouble finding help. The last time we were there, one of the managers said, "I wish people would decide to start working again." It's not always about greed and bad intentions. Many businesses are trying to get back to previous customer service levels, but labor and supply shortages are still a very real thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm sure some are doing this. But what seems to have happened where I live is that a lot of people in the lower paying jobs used the COVID disruption to change jobs and find better positions. Virtually every grocery store, restaurant, hotel, etc. has a sign out front saying "hiring at all positions."

Our favorite quick service restaurant is still serving a limited menu because they are having trouble finding help. The last time we were there, one of the managers said, "I wish people would decide to start working again." It's not always about greed and bad intentions. Many businesses are trying to get back to previous customer service levels, but labor and supply shortages are still a very real thing.
That’s true…but the Dutch door effect of that is retailers and living expense suppliers IMMEDIATELY push the prices higher to gobble up the rise. And then they go past to push for profits.

That’s a big part of the “rampant” inflation we hear described everyday.

Case in point is orlando…where Disney is “begging” for staff but setting pay limits…and even if they pay more, it’s gone from the emps the minute the check is cashed. Which makes them easily picked off by others in town willing to eat the $2 per hour.

Quite the viscous circle. Disney totally miscalculated this in 2020. There’s really no excuses how. Not like they’re new in town and couldn’t see it coming.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
  • Local Ren Faire
  • Vegas
  • Airports/Airplanes
  • WDW
  • Local Events
  • Restaurants
  • Roads & Highways

The Renaissance Faire near me opened this weekend and it was the best attendance they have ever had. They did not run at all in 2020, and they limited attendance in 2021 so this was the first full year back.

TrainsOfDisney

I find it interesting that the locally owned coffee shops and restaurants that I frequent seem to be doing fine. They are always sfully staffed with friendly and professional employees.

Meanwhile many of the chain restaurants always have a “shortage” of workers.

Not sure what the secret is... more pay? Better work environment?

jloucks

Case in point is orlando…where Disney is “begging” for staff but setting pay limits…and even if they pay more, it’s gone from the emps the minute the check is cashed. Which makes them easily picked off by others in town willing to eat the $2 per hour.

Quite the viscous circle. Disney totally miscalculated this in 2020. There’s really no excuses how. Not like they’re new in town and couldn’t see it coming.

It does seem odd. You cannot set pay limits if you are trying to be competitive with staffing. That doesn't even make sense. You pay what you need to get staff. You will get staff at some point. Especially if the jobs that require minimal training. Disney can afford to pay entry level staff double or triple what they do now, but they just don't want to because.... reasons.

Sadly, or maybe it is good, WDW of all entities could price out the entire city for staff if they wanted to. Mom & pops really cannot compete with a company are uber-rich as Disney.

Wow, I just realized, maybe Disney is having mercy on all the other local business by keeping labor prices down? Good for Disney! ....? :p

Airline pilots (and other highly skilled professions), well, that's a different situation.

jloucks

I find it interesting that the locally owned coffee shops and restaurants that I frequent seem to be doing fine. They are always sfully staffed with friendly and professional employees.

There is something truly soul sucking about working for a corporate giant where your boss makes tens-of-millions a year while you make your pittance while watching all your friends get laid off for... reasons.

In many cases, but not all cases, working for a mom & pop and be soul nourishing, and there is something valuable to that.

However, I have seen mom & pops be as evil as their corporate rivals, so there are always exceptions. I have seen a family owned business owner change over the course of a decade into something as greedy and selfish as any corporate CEO.

My whole point is, with a mom & pop, at least you have a chance at something good.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It does seem odd. You cannot set pay limits if you are trying to be competitive with staffing. That doesn't even make sense. You pay what you need to get staff. You will get staff at some point. Especially if the jobs that require minimal training. Disney can afford to pay entry level staff double or triple what they do now, but they just don't want to because.... reasons.

Sadly, or maybe it is good, WDW of all entities could price out the entire city for staff if they wanted to. Mom & pops really cannot compete with a company are uber-rich as Disney.

Wow, I just realized, maybe Disney is having mercy on all the other local business by keeping labor prices down? Good for Disney! ....? :p

Airline pilots (and other highly skilled professions), well, that's a different situation.
It’s because they don’t want the “snowball effect” on labor when you have 40,000+ hourlies.

They want unskilled…period.

They also had their CP/IP “binkies” yanked from them…which they have used as a “valve” on limiting new hire demand internally for many years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Scale has a lot to do with it…wdw is a beast for labor - no doubt.

But they could staff it fairly easily if that was a priority. It’s not. They promise Wall Street that those high prices for cupcakes are shipped out of town. Nature of the beast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom