Return to normality tracker

Vinnie Mac

Such a nice thought!!!! Don't get me wrong, I get it, anything is possible, ESP with the new strain. But I wish someone would ACTUALLY, FINALLY SOLVE COVID!!!!!!! Sorry for the Caps. One of those "Tired Of COVID" days.
Don't apologize. I'm with you. I'm tired, I'm frustrated, and most importantly I'm just ready for this to be over with. I'm at the point where I just cannot care anymore. New variant? Sure they'll come up with a cool name for the next one, and the one after that, and the one that comes after that.

As long as we don't lockdown again and COVID doesn't affect the theme parks on a wide scale (which I don't think these things will happen again for awhile if at all), I don't care.

bdearl41

I really hope we move forward with more normality and openings other than reverting back. I imagine Disney doesn’t want to move backwards. Hopefully omicron is the really mild Covid we’ve been waiting for

Vinnie Mac

I really hope we move forward with more normality and openings other than reverting back. I imagine Disney doesn’t want to move backwards. Hopefully omicron is the really mild Covid we’ve been waiting for
Depends on how we define mild these days. We have two types of potential normals moving forward for each variant. The normal where the variants die out quickly and barely any cases come out of it. And then the other normal where society as a whole continues despite high cases from the variant. We really only have these two types of normals available because of the number of people vaccinated now. We could be in a much worse position than we currently are.

If Delta is a sign for anything in the future, it's that the second type of normal is the most likely one going forward.

aaronml

Surprising that we still haven’t heard anything about the DDP. Just a vague announcement that it will come back in the future back in June, and nothing since then.

Casper Gutman

They're offering $3,000 signing bonuses for line cooks right now. It's a bigger staffing problem than housekeeping.
I hope it continues until they are forced to raise wages rather then trying to throw signing bonuses at the problem. Its nice that employees have an iota of power for once, as much as Disney is struggling to deny market forces.

I was at Universal recently. Only difference I noticed was that the Brown Derby hat shop was closed. Other then that, staffing seemed more then sufficient across the board, housekeeping was in full swing, shelves were stocked, holiday decor including the spectacular Tribute Shop was all in place - so very odd.

disneygeek90

I hope it continues until they are forced to raise wages rather then trying to throw signing bonuses at the problem. Its nice that employees have an iota of power for once, as much as Disney is struggling to deny market forces.

I was at Universal recently. Only difference I noticed was that the Brown Derby hat shop was closed. Other then that, staffing seemed more then sufficient across the board, housekeeping was in full swing, shelves were stocked, holiday decor including the spectacular Tribute Shop was all in place - so very odd.
To be fair, I’ve waited 20+ minutes at a food and drink stand not too long ago at universal because they have one person taking orders, filling drinks and preparing snacks. They’re feeling it too. And made it even worse on themselves when they took away a lot of the online order options.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I hope it continues until they are forced to raise wages
Oddly enough, they are improving, but not fast enough, and not enough to undo decades of damage caused by them artificially lowering the entire region's wages. Furthermore, they will be forced by Florida's constitution to raise their wages starting next year.

But in the meantime they ed off so many people in Orlando on the way to paying better than the federal minimum, that even at a living wage, many people just don't want to work for Disney.

Unless Disney turns this around soon, it's going to be a situation that the only people working for Disney will be out of town Disney geeks from even lower wage areas who think $15/hr is enough to live off of in Orlando.

mkt

Premium Member
They've increased wages across the board. Entry level, full time, part time, professionals, management. Everyone. There literally aren't enough bodies willing to work in Central Florida.
Willing to work for Disney you mean. The unemployment rate for the region, as of the most recent numbers I've found, is 4.4%. That's a very healthy rate. People are working in Central Florida, just not for Disney.

And as someone who grew up in Central Florida, the perception of Disney as an employer isn't exactly the best.

As for the rest of your comment... not touching that political pile with a 10 foot pole.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Willing to work for Disney you mean. The unemployment rate for the region, as of the most recent numbers I've found, is 4.4%. That's a very healthy rate. People are working in Central Florida, just not for Disney.

And as someone who grew up in Central Florida, the perception of Disney as an employer isn't exactly the best.

As for the rest of your comment... not touching that political pile with a 10 foot pole.
Have you been to Central Florida outside of Disney recently? There are help wanted signs everywhere. Universal is having issues also along with everyone who hires entry level type positions. This is not a "Disney" issue.

CaptainAmerica

The relatively low unemployment rate supports my point. If the unemployment rate were high, your point that Disney should raise wages to attract those people would be correct. The unemployment rate being low means there aren't enough people looking for work in the first place for Disney to attract.

Keep in mind that unemployment rate only counts people looking for work. People choosing not to work aren't included in that 4.4%.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The relatively low unemployment rate supports my point. If the unemployment rate were high, your point that Disney should raise wages to attract those people would be correct. The unemployment rate being low means there aren't enough people looking for work in the first place for Disney to attract.

Keep in mind that unemployment rate only counts people looking for work. People choosing not to work aren't included in that 4.4%.
Indeed.

Consider if the Unemployment Rate dropped to 0.0%. That would mean everyone's working and there's no one else available to hire.

A low UR means a *shortage* of workers (or those willing to work in available jobs for that pay... or to work at all).

mkt

Premium Member
Have you been to Central Florida outside of Disney recently? There are help wanted signs everywhere. Universal is having issues also along with everyone who hires entry level type positions. This is not a "Disney" issue.
Yes. I make regular trips that don’t involve the parks or anything touristy.

I was there not at the parks as recently as last weekend and will be back in January twice without intending on setting foot at the parks.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member

My point wasn't that Disney should raise wages - they already have.

My point was that Disney's perception as a bad employer in Central Florida isn't something that will go away with simply just raising wages and is likely hurting them more with staffing up.

Moving further than that line of thinking, the housing shortages and lack of affordable housing are also likely contributing factors. Both in that locals who could work for Disney are leaving for cheaper areas and out-of-towners who could work at Disney are potentially priced out.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

My point was that Disney's perception as a bad employer in Central Florida isn't something that will go away with simply just raising wages.
Disney will never be successful in attracting front-line talent by being perceived as a "Central Florida employer." They need immigration. They need a robust college program. They need cultural representative programs. They need mobile retirees. The local pool will never be deep enough to sustain the sheer volume of headcount they need to fill.

mkt

Premium Member
Disney will never be successful in attracting front-line talent by being perceived as a "Central Florida employer." They need immigration. They need a robust college program. They need cultural representative programs. They need mobile retirees. The local pool will never be deep enough to sustain the sheer volume of headcount they need to fill.
I agree on all of these things. Every last one of them. That's how Disney was able to remain staffed in normal times.

Maybe Disney can offer below market rents in their properties to attract out-of-towners to move?

I just don't want to reply on a potentially political part of the previous post, as I've already been slapped on the wrist for previous politics-adjacent comments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom