News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Any slightly good parks announcement possible is good for them right now, we are in the Disney Parks drought era.
You mean because once they throw the last shovels of dirt in the “Ep-hole”, we are on a five year intentional construction drought?

…just like the bobs planned it. They will stand on their “unprecedented demand”

RoadiJeff

The EPCOT and Hollywood Studios parking trams are finally returning in September 2023.

Woohoo! I guess Disney heard we'll be there the last week of September. While I don't mind walking, we're meeting family members who are not quite as mobile and a long hike from the parking lot would be a challenge for them.

Stevie Amsterdam

I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but would this be good news for me as a Drury hotel visitor in October? Does anyone know whether the Drury bus drops guests off at the same spot (more or less) as where the trams are located?

Disone

I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but would this be good news for me as a Drury hotel visitor in October? Does anyone know whether the Drury bus drops guests off at the same spot (more or less) as where the trams are located?
Trams do not affect you. From where the Drury bus drops you off at all four theme parks you would not be using a tram. For the most part you'll just walk to the park entrance from where the bus drops you off. In the case of the Magic Kingdom it will drop you off at the ticking transportation center you will board the monorail or ferry board to get to the Magic Kingdom.

PaulZ

It’s not just trams weren’t running. It was that Epcot was also parking guest in the lots far to the left which meant even more walking instead of trying to park guest nearer to the entrance.

DisneyFanatic12

It’s not just trams weren’t running. It was that Epcot was also parking guest in the lots far to the left which meant even more walking instead of trying to park guest nearer to the entrance.
I doubt there was a concentrated effort to get guests parking as far away from the entrance as possible to make them more tired. Rather, there really aren’t that many spots to backfill throughout the day, and it takes a while to count the empty spots up in the row. They tend to start new rows until the amount of effort required to backfill is justified. If there are a negligible amount of spots to backfill, it’s hard to justify the loss of efficiency.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I doubt there was a concentrated effort to get guests parking as far away from the entrance as possible to make them more tired. Rather, there really aren’t that many spots to backfill throughout the day, and it takes a while to count the empty spots up in the row. They tend to start new rows until the amount of effort required to backfill is justified. If there are a negligible amount of spots to backfill, it’s hard to justify the loss of efficiency.
There’s no where close to enough cars to need those lots

That’s not a big deal

What about “preferred parking”?

bpiper

I can understand what your saying, but you would be surprised how many spots open up in the closer rows earlier than you would think. The real issue is that by using those far left lots, its a tremendous distance for people who are mobility challenged to walk, just to get to the front entrance. I can see why them might not run the tram on the other tramway. I have walked to the front in the time it takes to load the tram, issue 3 no further boarding spiels, give the safety spiel and drive to unload. Although the mobility customers would say otherwise.

1692643976197.png

I did the math on what it costs them to run the trams at MK in this post from 2021:

It was $15,360 for labor... With increased labor costs, figure roughly $17K for the day at MK. Epcot would be a lot less due to less trams running.

So at $25 to park, it would take roughly 680 cars to pay the the tram labor for the day at MK.

This analysis doesn't include fuel, maintenance costs or fringe benefit costs.

Squishy

How many trams usually run after HEA in the MK lot? Was there last week and only 2 were running on the hero route, huge line so ended up walking.

EricsBiscuit

I can understand what your saying, but you would be surprised how many spots open up in the closer rows earlier than you would think. The real issue is that by using those far left lots, its a tremendous distance for people who are mobility challenged to walk, just to get to the front entrance. I can see why them might not run the tram on the other tramway. I have walked to the front in the time it takes to load the tram, issue 3 no further boarding spiels, give the safety spiel and drive to unload. Although the mobility customers would say otherwise.

View attachment 738648

I did the math on what it costs them to run the trams at MK in this post from 2021:

It was $15,360 for labor... With increased labor costs, figure roughly $17K for the day at MK. Epcot would be a lot less due to less trams running.

So at $25 to park, it would take roughly 680 cars to pay the the tram labor for the day at MK.

This analysis doesn't include fuel, maintenance costs or fringe benefit costs.
There are intangibles, IMO the biggest being the amount of people who refuse to buy merchandise knowing they have to take it all the way to the car on foot.

Andrew25

Interested in seeing how trams impact their parking ops. Right now they park the farther lots first before filling out the closer lots later in the day to get APs into the park to spend money a bit faster.

Kamikaze

Good thing nobody suggested that then!
Oh, but you did, you just don't understand how.

You're saying they should backfill spots of people who have left, and the only way to do that is to send CMs every so often to check for those spots, keeping up a running tally on each row. That then means moving the CMs who are directing cars between those rows and keeping those numbers in line with every car that goes down those rows. This would have to be constantly updated each time a car leaves or fills a spot for the entire day. Or you don't have the CMs do any of this and just guess at where empty spots would be, and thus have the possibility of sending cars down full rows.

Alternatively, you don't do this and just make people walk the extra few hundred feet.

mikeymouse

I do have mobility issues and luckily we were able to be dropped off and its right at the front where the handicapped parking is. My only issue is I had to wait to get searched in security because something set off the metal detector. I was in a lot of pain standing in line for that for 15 minutes. I just needed to sit on a planter for a few to get refreshed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom