Trip Report Return of the Noob......Fuzzy Memories part 2? Now Playing.

I know this is really delayed but I finally have my pics uploaded and soon enough this will begin. Just have been so worn out form work and trying to do projects and running to after school stuff not much time to just sit down and relax. Let alone try to compile 2000+ pics and videos. This TR will rely more on pics than video just because my upload speed is so slow.

fractal

OK - Let's get this show on the road!

B7Pvu3gCAAAExf3.jpg

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Day 1:

Our last trip was in 2011, so much has changed. We're older and hopefully wiser but I have been thrust into planning the entire trip alone. But being wiser I used Kingdom Konsultants to help with the booking of the trip. We had already made our first Noob mistake of the trip. By the time we decided to go we were already past our 180 day window so that was some stress. I knew some tricks and was able to get the few ressies I wanted for the girls to experience. Wasn't going to waste much time in sit down restaurants because taking two first timers to WDW was not going to be used stuffing our faces.

So I guess let's start with intros.

Me and our daughter Allie when our magic bands arrived.

0821171943 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

0821171944 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

0821172023 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

This was an unexpected surprise
0901171222 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

These are some shirts my sister made for the two girls to wear.
0907172102b by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

All packed and ready to go!!
0916170032 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Now this is Heather and her daughter Jordynn. Her and Allie are the same age/interests so we invited them to join us and we would be their guides and girls would help keep each other company. This was their first time to WDW and flying so I was more nervous for them. But they were both excited and ready for this adventure.
0916171145a by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

And there is Katie
0916171145b by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Of course me
0916171145d by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Now you see me with this visor. As we were leaving the house I forgot it behind and HAD to make the trip round the block to get it. I couldn't go to Florida be in the sun without my hat! Sometimes fate as a way of stepping in and I should have left my favorite visor behind.
0916171231 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Some airport fun.
DSC00003 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00004 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Jordynn was a little nervous
DSC00007 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00016 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Up in the atmosphere! Up where the air is clear! If you get a chance to fly in a MD-88 our pilots treated her like a rocketship. Great takeoff and landing.
DSC00012 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00010 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00021 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

0916171505 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Me contemplating what I wanted to accomplish on this trip. Nothing short of a Griswald holiday would do. How many memories would we create? Would not seeing spoilers for Dwarf Mine Train pay off? Would I meet all the vloggers I watch in YouTube. Would anything still be working because this was just one week after the major hurricane? Would BOG be worth the trouble of getting reservations twice? So many questions and things out of my control all I could do was sit back and enjoy.
DSC00017 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

The infamous water bottles. We had these made just for this trip and they would not survive. I captured one breaking on film, quite the sad event and made for a sour monorail ride to Epcot.

0916171505a by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

To be continued I have to go to work.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
I must apologize in advance for some of the pics. I hastily bought a point and shoot because we didn't want to bring our DSLR. Noob mistake, don't rush or get cheap on camera purchases. It did the job ok for what it is but this pocket sized Sony was not always up to the task. Even using @fractal tips of trashcans and rails.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I must apologize in advance for some of the pics. I hastily bought a point and shoot because we didn't want to bring our DSLR. Noob mistake, don't rush or get cheap on camera purchases. It did the job ok for what it is but this pocket sized Sony was not always up to the task. Even using @fractal tips of trashcans and rails.

Which point and shoot did you get?

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Which point and shoot did you get?
Found it at my local Walmart on clearance for $80-$90
1522818390797.png

Not a horrible camera. Rechargeable, super small profile and in good light it takes a nice picture. It suffers from processing time something horrible. Unless you are using a burst mode ( is a setting you have to choose in a menu not on the body) do not expect to capture images in a quick manner. But it did not take up much room in a F@nny pack.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Day 1 cont:
Guess I forgot to say this is a TR for our September 2017 visit. It's been 8 years since I wrote a TR so cut me some slack. :facepalm: We choose All Star Sports to take advantage of free quick serve dining. Because I used @Kingdom Konsultant rearranging our original reservation was not problem for me to worry about.

Our flight was uneventful according to my notes. Yes, I took notes this time for most of the trip. We landed around 4pm at MCO from our Cincinnati departure. I love flying the MD-88 (Mad Dog) but Delta needs to update the mid range fleet for sure.

So what's the first ride you take in Orlando? Thank you kind stranger for this photo.
DSC00024 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

#Mandatory
DSC00028 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

We waited in the Magical Express line in what seemed like forever. So many people not wearing their Magic Bands and were surprised that they needed them to help the process.
DSC00036 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Now are first FP was the Fairytale Hall Meet and Greet which expired at 7:00pm. By this point I was thinking we were not going to make it in time. We received our room texts on the bus but Heather seemed to get her info first and more reliably than I did. I was the name everything was booked under so I didn't understand that at all. Had some trouble connecting the MDE accounts but everything was a minor inconvenience at this point.
DSC00031 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

We arrived at our destination of All Star Sports. I have watched and read some bad reviews of this resort but to me those are really blown out of proportion. It was crowed but I figured many were people who had to change plans due to the hurricane and that inflated the crowds for September.
DSC00040 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

By the time we get to our adjoining rooms in the preferred section we were all antsy to get going to the Magic Kingdom. We were near the main pool off to the left but on the backside of the building so any noise from the pool was not an issue at all.

We got off the bus and marched to the gates at 6:30pm. Only 30 minutes to get through security soak up the first time seeing the castle and book it to Fantasyland. Same as the last time we left her. All decked out in her fall finery.
MK_ENTR_20170916_404901540672 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

By now you are wondering about the matching shirts. Those are an off the rack Disney.com item and the only ones we found to be a matching family shirt. Yes my shoes. I choose those for comfort and to stand out in a crowd. My thinking was if I was 4 ft tall is it easier to look up for dad or down for dads shoes if I get separated for a moment? I had another pair of Sketcher slipons but 1 week before leaving I thought I broke my toe at work and could not wear my other pair. So I was down to one pair for the entire trip. So not what I planned but just had to go with the flow. I did not see any shoes like mine in the 8 days we were there.

First time at the Magic Kingdom.
MK_ENTR_20170916_404901540692 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Hello my old friend.
0916171847 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

So I know you all are wondering did we make our first FP reservation??

DSC00041 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr
Yes. With 10 minutes to spare. What was I worried about?

DSC00042 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00043 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Day 1 cont:

We bought the Memory Maker and we did get our use out of it on this trip. Prepare for princess overload.
MK_PFTHPURPLED2CHAR_20170916_404902148274 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Look no slouching to fit in the photos. Fixed that Noob mistake.
MK_PFTHPURPLED2CHAR_20170916_404902036091 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

MK_PFTHPURPLED1CHAR_20170916_404902013840 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

MK_PFTHPURPLED1CHAR_20170916_404902013843 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

MK_PFTHPURPLED1CHAR_20170916_404902013847 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

MK_PFTHPURPLED1CHAR_20170916_404902013849 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Smart idea about the shoes!! And i spy Delta wings!! American have my daughter wings last year when we flew to California, and my mother in law commented that when she was a little girl, little girls were not given wings or allowed to see the cockpit. I'm so glad that's no longer a thing, because my daughter loved her wings!

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Smart idea about the shoes!! And i spy Delta wings!! American have my daughter wings last year when we flew to California, and my mother in law commented that when she was a little girl, little girls were not given wings or allowed to see the cockpit. I'm so glad that's no longer a thing, because my daughter loved her wings!
I can remember getting those as a kids and it was nice to see that they still do some little things like the wings.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Day 1 Cont:

I know I said this would be mostly a picture TR but I am trying my best to incorporate videos. Just have a hard time figuring out which codec to use for best compression/quality/file size.

But, join our group as we walk down Stadium Hall and out the back door. Next off to MK where the kids get their first taste of Main Street and Cinderella Castle. At the end you'll hear Katie ask if I was "OK?" This being the photo op we had during our last visit with my mother. :cry:

Also careful observer will notice my glasses cord I am using is called Cablz. Highly recommend, easily adjustable, comfortable and very secure. I wore it the entire trip with no problem. It gets the Uncle Lupe seal of approval. Now they just need kids sizes. Videos were shot using a Sony CX675 Handycam. Small but powerful option for video on the go.

Cablz Glasses Retainer
Sony CX675

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Day 1 cont:

After leaving the princesses behind our next FP was for Space Mountain. I was taking a gamble on this one because I knew our daughter would be totally skiddish about this even though she was excited to ride it with me. This FP opened at 7:10 and as we approached Space Mountain she was having none of this ride. She started to cry big tears and say she was scared and didn't want to go. I pulled her aside and sat down on a bench and reminded her of how long we had talked about this and I took her older cousin on her first ride. And how she will love it after she rides. That I was so looking forward to taking her but it didn't work.

Apparently this was quite the scene because two girls about 11 or 12 came over to help convince her it was such a fun ride. They had rode it 4 times in a row. If she was scared just make sure you ride the slow side. This was the MK miracle I needed because those girls were what she needed to be brave enough to ride. So here we go to conquer Space Mountain. You know on the slow side, right.

DSC00046 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00047 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

I might be mildly thrilled. This is my favorite ride but when I was my daughters age I was scared of it so I understand her fear very well.
MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20170916_8098056487 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20170916_8098055724 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

We did it!!!!!
0916171931 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

0916171931a by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Last edited:

fractal

Day 1 Cont:

I know I said this would be mostly a picture TR but I am trying my best to incorporate videos. Just have a hard time figuring out which codec to use for best compression/quality/file size.

But, join our group as we walk down Stadium Hall and out the back door. Next off to MK where the kids get their first taste of Main Street and Cinderella Castle. At the end you'll hear Katie ask if I was "OK?" This being the photo op we had during our last visit with my mother. :cry:

Also careful observer will notice my glasses cord I am using is called Cablz. Highly recommend, easily adjustable, comfortable and very secure. I wore it the entire trip with no problem. It gets the Uncle Lupe seal of approval. Now they just need kids sizes. Videos were shot using a Sony CX675 Handycam. Small but powerful option for video on the go.

Cablz Glasses Retainer
Sony CX675

nice job on the video. MK is a special place for memories.
Day 1 cont:

After leaving the princesses behind our next FP was for Space Mountain. I was taking a gamble on this one because I knew our daughter would be totally skiddish about this even thought she was excited to ride it with me. This FP opened at 7:10 and as we approached Space Mountain she was having none of this ride. She started to cry big tears and say she was scared and didn't want to go. I pulled her aside and sat down on a bench and reminded her of how long we had talked about this and I took her older cousin on her first ride. And how she will love it after she rides. That I was so looking forward to taking her but it didn't work.

Apparently this was quite the scene because two girls about 11 or 12 came over to help convince her it was such a fun ride. They had rode it 4 times in a row. If she was scared just make sure you ride the slow side. This was the MK miracle I needed because those girls were what she needed to be brave enough to ride. So here we go to conquer Space Mountain. You know on the slow side, right.

DSC00046 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

DSC00047 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

I might be mildly thrilled. This is my favorite ride but when I was my daughters age I was scared of it so I understand her fear very well.
MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20170916_8098056487 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

MK_SPACEMOUNTAINB_20170916_8098055724 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

We did it!!!!!
0916171931 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

0916171931a by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

that's awesome! Did she want to ride it again? (have to remember the "slow side" trick).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom