Pre-Trip Return of the Noob......coming soon this Fall 2017

Dim the house lights, que epic fanfare.........

and action!!!!

Vader by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

So that was a long time ago but not so far away. That pic is about 10 years old and should set the mood of what kind of guy I am, especially on vacation. I was working, can't ya tell??

301384_279853978701939_100000320162739_994756_649403297_n by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr
If you have not read my first TR please enjoy.

We have not been back to WDW since our last trip in 2011. Between then and now we have had ups and down some of which you will find in my other threads. But we press forward for I am a noob no more, right?? Well I hope so because I am planning this trip not just for our 3 person family. But for a family friend and her daughter. We will be a party of 5.

We have a family friend who has a daughter only three weeks older and they have never been and were interested in going. After some discussion we decided on a September trip. Everything was left in my capable hands to plan. She does not read these boards or know much of my struggles last trip. That's a need to know basis.

IMG_6114 (2) by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr
Somehow this was the only picture of the three of us at Allies party and it was being photo bombed. Noob mistake? Maybe, busy father sounds better.

IMG_5863 (2) by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr
Katie after she was pushed into the foam pit by the same photo bomber.

7006478218_6bf35e739c_o by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr
2011 last visit age 2.4 yrs.

IMG_5725 (2)
by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr
Just turned eight.

Everything was agreed upon which was great except for the fact that we had already passed the 180 day dining reservation window. That was a noob mistake! :facepalm: But I was not to worried because I could remember our last trip the ADR's with the kids was a mistake. The kids wanted to enjoy the park not a restaurant. With this early blunder realized, knowing my work schedule is horrible for planning and fall discounts not being released yet I acquired the services of Kingdom Konsultants. See I am a noob no more. We are set with two rooms at All Star Sports, "free" DDP, and Park Hoppers for eight days September 16th - 24th. Now I see just how much prices have increased over the last six years and not having a toddler get in for free costs. But thanks to KK I did not have to worry about changing reservations or being on the phone for hours. Just reply to an email and some magical things happen. So they get credit for booking and getting the fall discounts when they were released. Still need to get MNSSHP tickets that should be the final large booking expense.

The only thing I was stressed about was booking airline tickets. They have never flown so it will be a trip of "firsts" from the very start. Was able to get round trip non-stop tickets and use my cc miles for a discount. Also learned that the Google flight tracker is a great tool that I will use better next time. It helps you track ticket costs and gives you an alert to fare increases or decreases.

Everything is a GO just waiting for my Fastpass window to open so I can start that process. Can you book all your FP's for the length of stay on your 60 day window or just each day as it hits 60 respectively?

I did book Akershus and two BOG ressies you know for the kids(me) :D. Not that I will enjoy meeting the princesses again.
princess 1 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

Allison has been watching a video I made about our last trip recently multiple times everyday. Basically my TR in video form with music, stills and videos in a 53 minute movie. She as asked I can do that again. Sure thing, a true labor of love. Now I am on the hunt for a new camcorder. 720p doesn't cut it in the 4K age.

One more thing I know is on everybody's mind. Yes I have already picked out my /waist/bumbag. F@nny is a bad word? Even with the Magic Band it will be a handy place to secure items while riding and park touring for quick access.
0622170226 by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

303714_279853158702021_100000320162739_994739_283222510_n by Uncle Lupe, on Flickr

I have put my foot down I will not be a pack mule this trip. Look at all that necessary equipment I lugged around for a week last time.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
I'll be at the same MNSSHP party and will also be at Epcot on the 20th and MK on the 23rd!
I'm sure many of us fans pass by each other without ever knowing. That's cool to know. Just yell my screen name that would get my attention for sure. If it's not me don't worry your on vacation you'll never see those people again. :hilarious: Would love to run into a fellow WDW Magic member.

Zipadeelady

Let me say I'm not a fan of the pack but I'm proud of you for not being the Mule! I carry tiny sling purse and I don't even use all of what I put in it.

Excited to hear your plans. We will be there for a few days while your there too!

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Let me say I'm not a fan of the ***** pack but I'm proud of you for not being the Mule! I carry tiny sling purse and I don't even use all of what I put in it.

Excited to hear your plans. We will be there for a few days while your there too!
I keep it on my front side but last time I would slide it around back when getting a picture. I could move it to the side in rides. I almost lost my wallet on Space Mountain the first night of our last trip. After that I put fashion aside.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Well drug myself out of bed to make FPs today. Our TA offered to do it but I had the day off and I was just to anxious not to be involved. Even with only 4 hours of sleep. Basically got everything I was trying for in the previous post. But I have one problem I am unsure about. I opted to secure two FPs for FOP and just try to ride River Journey at rope drop. Made an early morning FP for Kilimanjaro Safari's to get us to the park and just figured we would bolt to Pandora first. I think FOP will be something we "I" would want to ride more then once.

I tried to make choices that were close in time and proximity as not to be crisscrossing across the park and wearing the kids out.

I really hope Mission Space has a soft opening I am very bummed. Had so much fun with the niece last time and was so looking forward to taking my daughter on this ride.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Speaking of *not really bad but still bad word in the UK* packs.... Did you see this???
Screenshot_20170713-200111.png

fractal

Well drug myself out of bed to make FPs today. Our TA offered to do it but I had the day off and I was just to anxious not to be involved. Even with only 4 hours of sleep. Basically got everything I was trying for in the previous post. But I have one problem I am unsure about. I opted to secure two FPs for FOP and just try to ride River Journey at rope drop. Made an early morning FP for Kilimanjaro Safari's to get us to the park and just figured we would bolt to Pandora first. I think FOP will be something we "I" would want to ride more then once.

I tried to make choices that were close in time and proximity as not to be crisscrossing across the park and wearing the kids out.

I really hope Mission Space has a soft opening I am very bummed. Had so much fun with the niece last time and was so looking forward to taking my daughter on this ride.

Your strategy for FP at AK seems sound, but I imagine you will have to hustle back and forth. I'll let you know if FOP (and River Journey) are worth it.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Your strategy for FP at AK seems sound, but I imagine you will have to hustle back and forth. I'll let you know if FOP (and River Journey) are worth it.
Our FOP FP are for betweem 5-7 both times. If I do it on Monday it would be running back and forth or just not worrying about my Dinosaur FP :hilarious:. This day I have FOP at 5 and and FP for Rivers of Light. Not to worried about catching River Journey. On Thursday I believe it could be very successful. Rope drop River Journey, head north to our 9:40-10:40 FP for KS get lunch and make our Lion King FP at 2:30. Work clockwise through the park back Pandora for FOP FP by 7:20pm.

It was difficult to make some FP's. Some choices I made almost as throw away just to have the ability to get additional ones in later in the day if we park hop. Epcot is a troublemaker in this category. Either Frozen or Soarin'. Pick which side you want to be on use them there. If not you could be dragging people back and forth even with solid planning.

Last edited:

Sarabell

Sounds like you will have a great trip. I also haven´t been there since 2011 and I can´t wait!! Looks like we´ll both be at Epcot on the 20th, so if you see a couple consisting of a big guy and a -really- short girl, that´s probably me!

Unfortunately I´m not staying on property so I still have one more month before I can get FP. I hope I can still find some of the good ones...

I´ve been seriously considering the *badword*pack. They don´t look sexy at all, but they´re soo useful! and way more comfortable than a slingpurse! So, if you happen to see the big guy and the short girl with a fannypack, then that will definitely be me!

I hope to read a TR! Have lots of fun!

fractal

Our FOP FP are for betweem 5-7 both times. If I do it on Monday it would be running back and forth or just not worrying about my Dinosaur FP :hilarious:. This day I have FOP at 5 and and FP for Rivers of Light. Not to worried about catching River Journey. On Thursday I believe it could be very successful. Rope drop River Journey, head north to our 9:40-10:40 FP for KS get lunch and make our Lion King FP at 2:30. Work counter clockwise through the park back Pandora for FOP FP by 7:20pm.

It was difficult to make some FP's. Some choices I made almost as throw away just to have the ability to get additional ones in later in the day if we park hop. Epcot is a troublemaker in this category. Either Frozen or Soarin'. Pick which side you want to be on use them there. If not you could be dragging people back and forth even with solid planning.

I also had some difficulties with planning Epcot FPs.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Sounds like you will have a great trip. I also haven´t been there since 2011 and I can´t wait!! Looks like we´ll both be at Epcot on the 20th, so if you see a couple consisting of a big guy and a -really- short girl, that´s probably me!

Unfortunately I´m not staying on property so I still have one more month before I can get FP. I hope I can still find some of the good ones...

I´ve been seriously considering the *badword*pack. They don´t look sexy at all, but they´re soo useful! and way more comfortable than a slingpurse! So, if you happen to see the big guy and the short girl with a fannypack, then that will definitely be me!

I hope to read a TR! Have lots of fun!
I found it to be very handy. Could keep items secure and within quick reach and my hands free at the same time. In 2011 I had the KTTW cards, photopass card, Fast Passes, hard ticket event media, id's (all for three people.), cc card, some pocket money and probably a camera also. So I am very much looking forward to the Magic Band elevating some clutter in there.

When I prepared for a picture you couldn't tell I had it on under my shirt. Just has enough slack to spin it around to the back take a pic and back to the front again. This one I bought only cost $5 use it for a week and save it for next time if it survives. By the end of our last trip both the backpack and the "hip" bag had broken. I think I took them back to Walmart for a refund or exchange. Built to last a lifetime, sure. I know the backpack wasn't cheap but just after a week of Disney the zippers failed and my hip pack had torn.

I'll keep an eye out and if you see a man in a corner rocking back and forth. It may be me on estrogen overload.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Now that I am a little more alert. FP day post cont.

Well I'm glad I had my plans on paper because getting up at 7am and thinking straight was difficult when you go to bed at 3am. Everything went fairly close to plans. Could only get FoP for the evening on two separate days and just plan to rope drop River Journey. I will say that you definitely need to be up and doing this at 7am. I noticed that FP's went quick for the new headliner attractions. The best strategy was to pick your most important FP per day. Fill those in first for your length if stay then go back and choose the less important FP's to round out your days.

My travel agent contacted me to remind me that I was approaching FP day. Asked if needed help and to make sure later that day that everything was ok. If I had to work that day I would have take advantage of this offer but nice to know help was there if I needed some. It was fun choosing the rides but had to go out on a limb and hope I was picking something the kids would enjoy.

As of today I was able to switch one FP around at Epcot to get Mission Space :D. One of those things I really wanted to experience with our daughter. I may not need one but it was better than the Nemo FP I had previously. Thanks to this site and the app it was super easy to do before I went to work.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Well only three weeks left. We have our Magic Bands and are just waiting for our MDE packet. Still making some final purchases one of which is a strap for my new glasses. Last trip I used a kids sized Croakies band. The adult was to large. It did the job but was a pain to put on and off and was very obtrusive. I have found a product sold in sporting goods for fishermen's sunglasses or active lifestyle. Cablz is a lightweight, adjustable and low profile designed eye wear retainer. They seem to be convenient with sunglasses and will be very secure to keep my prescription glasses on my face. Guess I'll see how they work and give a review in my TR. I plan just to wear them all day as trying to put on and take off the Croakies was no fun. Plus these look cool and come in different colors.

arry.png

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Well we are off after a hectic and painful week of work. Let's just say I am lucky to still have a toe. But that story shall be left for a later time. Time to find out second star to the right.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom