Resort TV - GONE!!

skiwee

Originally posted by raven
Unpack? I drop everything and head to the parks ASAP because I can't wait. If I get there at night I still explore the property. Unpack later. :D

Yes we unpack. I know that sounds a little lame but that is what we do. We are in no real rush to get to the parks. We spend 10-12 days at WDW twice a year and have come to find the resort just as fun as the parks. We usually get to our room by 2pm, unpack, have some lunch, and then head over to the MK for a couple hours. No hurry here. :)

Swfewrmco

Before I speak blasphemy, let me say that I enjoyed the Resort TV show. The music and catchphrases (Fantasmic fills up fast...) made me feel that I had truly arrived at WDW.

Having said that, it was time for a change. That version of the program had been running quite a long time, only changing intros to accomidate 100 YoM and the Millennium Celebration. I think it was running for the better part of four or five years. The show was basically an extended version of the vacation planning video that detailed each attraction. Today, when most people can get their hands on the video and its length is over 45 minutes long, there is really no need to rehash it when you arrive. Let's face it, a shorter program was needed. Upon arrival, most families are not going to park themselves in their hotel room for an hour after they arrive to catch the whole show. The Internet, vacation planning videos, and the tons of guidebooks now published have greatly diminished the need for a comprehensive Resort TV show. The channel that shows park hours and show times is much more useful to the average visitor.

Secondly, the "Tip for Today", while catchy, was a waste for anybody but the most ignorant first-timer. I mean, wow, what a tip! Buses take you places and that you should leave enough time to get to your destination. The only tip that they could have given you that could be dumber was that bathrooms are complimentary with your park admission. (I am sure SOMEBODY will throw in a crack at Eisner thinking about charging for potty breaks. Beat you to it.)

Sorry folks, change happens. Build a bridge and get over it.

foxfire

I tuned into Resort TV for the 5 min or so I'm in the room upon arriving. Then I watch it before going to sleep, and it's on while I get ready in the morning...then again when I stop @ the room to change for dinner. I'm glad I got it off of Disney-Central.

DisneySaint

Hopefully one day (and if not, I'll personally take the initiative!) there will be a much more elaborate show with better information.

DanStat

Originally posted by DMC-12
Oooooo Good call... Or That "$40 A Day" chick from Food Network! :sohappy:

Rachel Ray! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

I like them both...they should have two hosts!

dxwwf3

Originally posted by dizryan
Before I speak blasphemy, let me say that I enjoyed the Resort TV show. The music and catchphrases (Fantasmic fills up fast...) made me feel that I had truly arrived at WDW.

Having said that, it was time for a change. That version of the program had been running quite a long time, only changing intros to accomidate 100 YoM and the Millennium Celebration. I think it was running for the better part of four or five years. The show was basically an extended version of the vacation planning video that detailed each attraction. Today, when most people can get their hands on the video and its length is over 45 minutes long, there is really no need to rehash it when you arrive. Let's face it, a shorter program was needed. Upon arrival, most families are not going to park themselves in their hotel room for an hour after they arrive to catch the whole show. The Internet, vacation planning videos, and the tons of guidebooks now published have greatly diminished the need for a comprehensive Resort TV show. The channel that shows park hours and show times is much more useful to the average visitor.

Secondly, the "Tip for Today", while catchy, was a waste for anybody but the most ignorant first-timer. I mean, wow, what a tip! Buses take you places and that you should leave enough time to get to your destination. The only tip that they could have given you that could be dumber was that bathrooms are complimentary with your park admission. (I am sure SOMEBODY will throw in a crack at Eisner thinking about charging for potty breaks. Beat you to it.)

Sorry folks, change happens. Build a bridge and get over it.

I can see where you are coming from but I do have a few points. First off the Tip for Today show was only 24 minutes and 22 seconds. Not a lenghty program by any means.

Another point is I think sometimes we (as WDW fans) look at things very differently than about 75% of the guests in the parks (first timers or others that have been before but are still not familiar). Most people do not have the slighest clue about WDW when they get there. The new show doesn't really sum up the parks as well so alot of guests might even be more confused.

And about the vacation planning video, I honestly wonder how many 1st time guests even see this video or even know it exists? I'd say not as many as we would think. Like I said I think we sometimes overestimate the intelligence of newer guests on how to experience the parks. That's not a knock on them. I wouldn't know too much about the huge world of WDW if I was a 1st timer either.

Finally I do not think that just because something is old it needs replacement. I know Disney will always change and it should but I don't buy into this idea some people have of there always needs to be frequent change. While the Indiana Jones Stunt Show or Beauty in the Beast or Voyage of the Little Mermaid might seem VERY old to me, I realize that for 1st time visitors or to those that don't get to visit as much as us these shows seem very new and fresh. I think there is a very fine line between something being old and something running it course. I really wish Disney would spend more time adding new things as opposed to replacing attractions. To me what is wrong with having BOTH the Tip For Today show and the new 7 Most Sees show?

Oh well that's just how I feel about it.

TinkerBell9988

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Oh gosh she's so annoying.

:brick:

I switched to the company ad channel. :rolleyes:

My mom and I said the same thing.... uuugh

Actually, not only was it a big disappointment to me, my brother was really upset (and he's only 4 years old).

The first thing we do when we get to our room is turn the TV to the "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Tip for Today" station, and he loved it.

Thank goodness I taped it last year, but the tape is cracked :(

WDWtech

Folks,

I was just able to finally sit down and read this thread and just remembered those damn appliance direct commercials. I just wanted to say nothing is more annoying than sitting there hearing a dude say appliance direct over and over again. Hey I work in tv and those have to be the most god awful commercials I have ever seen.

White Porcelian ???? Appliance Direct !! :fork:

lol

Eric

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by dxwwf3
I can see where you are coming from but I do have a few points. First off the Tip for Today show was only 24 minutes and 22 seconds. Not a lenghty program by any means.

Another point is I think sometimes we (as WDW fans) look at things very differently than about 75% of the guests in the parks (first timers or others that have been before but are still not familiar). Most people do not have the slighest clue about WDW when they get there. The new show doesn't really sum up the parks as well so alot of guests might even be more confused.

And about the vacation planning video, I honestly wonder how many 1st time guests even see this video or even know it exists? I'd say not as many as we would think. Like I said I think we sometimes overestimate the intelligence of newer guests on how to experience the parks. That's not a knock on them. I wouldn't know too much about the huge world of WDW if I was a 1st timer either.

Finally I do not think that just because something is old it needs replacement. I know Disney will always change and it should but I don't buy into this idea some people have of there always needs to be frequent change. While the Indiana Jones Stunt Show or Beauty in the Beast or Voyage of the Little Mermaid might seem VERY old to me, I realize that for 1st time visitors or to those that don't get to visit as much as us these shows seem very new and fresh. I think there is a very fine line between something being old and something running it course. I really wish Disney would spend more time adding new things as opposed to replacing attractions. To me what is wrong with having BOTH the Tip For Today show and the new 7 Most Sees show?

Oh well that's just how I feel about it.

i agree 100% with you on every bit of your post! i was actually going to bring up all of the issues in my own post, but since you covered them all quite well, and we seem to have the same views on all of it, then I figured there was no need in being redundant. :D great post!

General Grizz

Originally posted by WDWtech
Folks,

I was just able to finally sit down and read this thread and just remembered those damn appliance direct commercials. I just wanted to say nothing is more annoying than sitting there hearing a dude say appliance direct over and over again. Hey I work in tv and those have to be the most god awful commercials I have ever seen.

lol

Eric

MERCIFUL HEAVENS...Appliance Direct is *NOTHING* at ALL compared to Family Auto Mart.

OY! www.familyautomart.com

(These fat guys are more entertaining than Chica :zipit: )

Cosmo

hey...don't knock Appliance Direct! They ROCK! I LOVE APPLIANCES! and they have same day delivery on brand SPANKING new appliances! no residooooooo....:sohappy:

trendymagic

Originally posted by WDWtech

Thought the guy has a point about the material, he could do much better with his commericals. And as Grizz mentioned, they are much better then the Family Auto Mart.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
i agree 100% with you on every bit of your post! i was actually going to bring up all of the issues in my own post, but since you covered them all quite well, and we seem to have the same views on all of it, then I figured there was no need in being redundant. :D great post!

Thank you!

And by the way yes no trip to WDW is complete without watching JUST A LITTLE BIT of Appliance Direct :lol: My favorite one is the one near the railroad tracks. I can't watch it for too long but you have to filp over once a trip.

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by Chris
I was at WDW over Christmas and took my VCR. I planned to record resort TV. The bad news is it is gone. No more "Zip-a-de-do-da, Tip for Today." It has been replaced by a really boring: "Top 7 things at WDW" It runs about 15 minutes and is not much more than a commercial for Mission Space. The still have the Spanish version of Resort TV but the English versions are nowhere to be found.

I recently stayed at the Polynesian Resort (12-31-03 to 1-4-04) with my g/f and I saw that and the girl who does the "Top 7 Things at WDW" is absolutely, utterly, completely ANNOYING!!!

Let's make "Shutting the TV off and heading out to the parks" the 1st thing to do at WDW ;)

jeanylaser031

resort tv gone

:mad: i don't like the top 7 in walt disney world. i saw that program in the contemporary resort. it is so dumb i what zip-a-do-da, i love so much. i hate the top 7 in wdw. please put back zip-a-do-da.

1stStarIC2nite

When you talk about resort tv do you mean the one show where they had a bunch of people and they advertised alot for park hoppers and fastpasses? And at the beginning there was a clay-like animation of Disney World attractions? Is this the one? If it's gone... I am soo sad. I loved that show, that is the only thing I watch on tv down there :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by 1stStarIC2nite
When you talk about resort tv do you mean the one show where they had a bunch of people and they advertised alot for park hoppers and fastpasses? And at the beginning there was a clay-like animation of Disney World attractions? Is this the one? If it's gone... I am soo sad. I loved that show, that is the only thing I watch on tv down there :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yep.. that's it. My brother and I have a thing where you're not OFFICIALLY at Disneyworld until you watch one sitting of Resort TV. But now, jeesh.... what the hell? I'd rather watch the Japanese television station in the room. At least that's more entertaining than the ditz doing the new "resort TV" now.

While we're on the subject of TV -- do all the resorts get the same channels or do some resorts get more (or less) channels than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom