Resort Parking Charges

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just searched for a room on Disneys website using the 20% summer discount promotion that anybody can use. Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Saratoga were all around $350 per night, not $600. Even the monorail resorts were all under $500. You whittle down the value of a Disney room to "bed and tv". I found the Best Western on International Dr in Orlando for $100 per night. Leths say a family of four chooses to stay at Yacht Club for $350 per night vs your $100 offsite room. Lets stat with pulling up to the resort and beginning your vacation! Here is what you get for $100 at Best Western:

Thanks capt obvious. Think of all the time you just wasted composing that post. Clearly you’ve never seriously researched offsite alternatives.

If you want to compare deluxe level... there are plenty of options. Comparing a “bed and tv” to a deluxe is... duh territory and flawed from the start... or paying for things you didn’t even care about

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Nobody's arguing that the YC is not nicer than a Best Western... that's why I've stayed there in the past. Nice lobby, nice pool, good food close by, and walk to the parks makes it worth it to me.

But I didn't have to pay extra to just leave my car in the parking lot for 22 hours a day in the past, either. And now that I have to pay to park at my hotel, I am also, in effect, paying to park at the parks should I choose to drive, since that "free parking" benefit is now costing me up to $23 per day.

As for cost, try pricing those rooms in the week of 24 December to 1 January.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Excellent post.

Even the folks at Best Western are capitalizing on the value DISNEY added by charging $100 for their less than stellar hotels. It's probably worth $50, tops which means they are essentially doubling their price.

I think your point about proximity cannot be overstated. Hotels are real estate at their core and the land essentially INSIDE of EPCOT is going to be expensive. You can literally walk to a top 5 most popular park in the world.

All of your points are excellent and prove the point objectively, but all you really need to know is that Disney fills their rooms up for all the reasons you mentioned. The people that pay the Disney prices understand the value add. The people who compare the rooms to a "TV and a bed" just don't get it.

It's fine with me if a person doesn't see the value, but don't act like it's apples to apples when you starting comparing non-Disney hotels.
I did not even get into the myriad of options you have for dining and entertainment around the Boardwalk and right at Epcot. Granted, International Dr has options, but it still requires driving. And the options on International are not much different than what you get at home. I also did not mention that if the YC family were AP holders or DVC staying at BC, that the discounts on food and merch could help offset the price difference of the room a bit.

Chef Mickey

I did not even get into the myriad of options you have for dining and entertainment around the Boardwalk and right at Epcot. Granted, International Dr has options, but it still requires driving. And the options on International are not much different than what you get at home. I also did not mention that if the YC family were AP holders or DVC staying at BC, that the discounts on food and merch could help offset the price difference of the room a bit.
Yep, I use my discount with my AP all the time. You also could compare the $100 Best Western to a Value Resort at Disney, which has a lot of the benefits of Deluxe like Yacht Club (not all) and is very close to $100/night so even the money is comparable in that case.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thanks capt obvious. Think of all the time you just wasted composing that post. Clearly you’ve never seriously researched offsite alternatives.
It took about ten minutes out of my life while I had some coffee. And yes, there were other options for $100 per night but for the most part were in same area if not further away and the better hotels at $100 all had parking and fees and some even had resort fees on top of that. We stayed at Caribe Royale for one night a few years ago and the price online was around $125 but then added in the parking and resort fees it was around $160. Rental properties offer the best price IMO, but you still have to drive, park and do not get the perks of being onsite.

Chef Mickey

Nobody's arguing that the YC is not nicer than a Best Western... that's why I've stayed there in the past. Nice lobby, nice pool, good food close by, and walk to the parks makes it worth it to me.

But I didn't have to pay extra to just leave my car in the parking lot for 22 hours a day in the past, either. And now that I have to pay to park at my hotel, I am also, in effect, paying to park at the parks should I choose to drive, since that "free parking" benefit is now costing me up to $23 per day.

As for cost, try pricing those rooms in the week of 24 December to 1 January.
I'm amazed that the incremental $20/day is literally the deal breaker for you. You previously saw the value at Yacht Club, even stayed there before, but the $20 charge just erases that? It's still only $20.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm amazed that the incremental $20/day is literally the deal breaker for you. You previously saw the value at Yacht Club, even stayed there before, but the $20 charge just erases that? It's still only $20.
Sorry, but this is where I came into this movie...

It's not the one charge... it's the over-all trend of charging more for less. Everyone has a breaking point. This parking fee pushed me to mine.

Chef Mickey

Sorry, but this is where I came into this movie...

It's not the one charge... it's the over-all trend of charging more for less. Everyone has a breaking point. This parking fee pushed me to mine.
For $20, or even less at value resorts, it sure seems like more of a beating to stay off-property, which are overpriced and lack a lot of amenities and convenience (as outlined above).

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I completely understand your point. I guess it comes down to if paying the extra $23 per day is worth the conveniences you mentioned. If Disney had simply raised the room prices by $23 it would most likely be an easier pill to swallow. Perhaps they should have done that instead. Room prices will increase anyway, but people would most likely not even notice the $23 extra

Goofyernmost

Is there any reason why we continue to argue this. It is no longer a discussion it is an effort to convince others that they are doing it wrong. I don't personally care if you spent a $1000. per minute to go there, If that is what you want and you can afford it and it is important to you, then just do it. I do not see the "added" value in it. There is nothing there that I couldn't have gotten closer to home and not the reason that I went to Florida. I went to enjoy the parks. In that process I spend most of my days in those parks and I only go back to the room to rest. Now if status wise it is important to "live in the lap of luxury while your eyes are closed and are in deep sleep"... why should I care. I just won't do it, and I have tried to explain why I won't do it. If all those things you listed are important enough and doing otherwise would ruin the experience or, if nothing else, the bragging rights I have no problem with YOU doing that. I eat well, I have access to all the places listed, but, I'm not forced to use them if I don't want too. That is the difference. It is spoken like it is a day trip to travel from International Drive to WDW or from Rte. 192. It takes less time then others will spend standing in the line waiting for the buses to get there. And I know they are dependable, that isn't the point.

To me staying onsite is a rip-off and I wouldn't pay it even when it did include there generous gift of having us pay for parking now. It is just added justification as to why I won't do it. I stayed in a value resort and it was terrible. The room was small and cramped, smaller then a Motel 6. I had, at the time, to pay extra for a refrigerator in the room and they positioned it in such a way that I couldn't even get the door all the way open. No microwave, nothing. I ate in the dining area once and had a philly cheese steak sandwich that was literally dripping grease, not figuratively, literally. (you could wring the roll out) I couldn't wait to get out of there so I went to a chain hotel on Rt. 192 had a larger room, a better TV and was only 5 minutes away from the toll booths at MK for less then half the price. That to me is comfort and convenience and I was surrounded by many very good and diversified, reasonably priced restaurants that didn't need ADR's.

I have never once compared in any apples to apples sense. I have stated what I have found outside of the alleged magic zone and that all those other apples that you pay for are not anything that I value. You do... good for you. I do not and never have. Right now I have the money to stay in any of them, even the highest priced suite, but, I won't because it is nothing that I need or want to do.

Last edited:

John park hopper

By all means if you can afford the YC or any other luxury Disney hotel go for. Many of us are not in the same boat or wish to spend for something we think is not worth it. Since Best Western was used as a comparison they do offer a free hot breakfast YC doe not. What would you spend in WDW for the same? BW has free transportation to the parks or you can drive yourself. So being charged a resort parking fee of $23 or paying for park parking $22 -balances out. Yes the BW pool is smaller but they only have 123 smoke free rooms compared to YC 630 rooms thus the larger pool at the YC. Each has its + and -

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
It seems to me there are three different dynamics here.

1. The group that wants to make this out be a "principle" issue.

I get it. If this is where you want to draw the line. It's your choice to do so. I consider Disney being able to track me and my family, and having a biometric fingerprint on file to be a little more worthy of a "principled" issue than a $24 fee. But to each their own.

2. The group that it impacts financially to the point of altering plans.

I feel worse for this group. Certain sacrifices (like cutting down the amount of TS, discretionary money spent on souvenirs, maybe shortening the trip by a day, or staying off-property) can remedy the fee.

3. The group that thinks it s!#*s, but it is what it is.

That's the group I'm in.

flynnibus

Premium Member
$100 Best Western to a Value Resort at Disney, which has a lot of the benefits opf Deluxe like Yacht Club (not all) and is very close to $100/night so even the money is comparable in that case.[/QUOTE]

Not in a long time... the hump is more about 150/night...
https://www.mousesavers.com/2018-all-star-music-room-rates-season-dates/

For 156/night all in... (taxes INC)... you can have two bedroom condos with full kitchens , laundry, better pools, etc. With the per Day savings you can have a better place and afford to just uber wherever you need to go

Chef Mickey

It seems to me there are three different dynamics here.

1. The group that wants to make this out be a "principle" issue.

I get it. If this is where you want to draw the line. It's your choice to do so. I consider Disney being able to track me and my family, and having a biometric fingerprint on file to be a little more worthy of a "principled" issue than a $24 fee. But to each their own.

2. The group that it impacts financially to the point of altering plans.

I feel worse for this group. Certain sacrifices (like cutting down the amount of TS, discretionary money spent on souvenirs, maybe shortening the trip by a day, or staying off-property) can remedy the fee.

3. The group that thinks it s!#*s, but it is what it is.

That's the group I'm in.
If you’re in the camp that $20/day makes it prohibitive financially, I don’t think you should be going on vacation.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
For 156/night all in... (taxes INC)... you can have two bedroom condos with full kitchens , laundry, better pools, etc. With the per Day savings you can have a better place and afford to just uber wherever you need to go

Which ones do you stay at? I usually go Vistana Village on I-Drive or Hilton Grand Vacations near Sea World. Don't think I ever got them that low, but close to it.

Lyman

Ok. So let’s say I live 5 hours away or less. And I want to stay on site. How do you propose I get there. Your reply makes no sense. It’s a total cash grab. I would rather they raise the room price $13 a night I wouldn’t even think twice about it.

They may at the limit of raising room rates so they do a slight of hand. Don't knew it would work. Park at free Disney springs and go off to your hotel LOL.
Then they might want to charge for parking at Disney Springs and drop the resort charge. Of course three guesses what those greedy you know what will do and the first two don't count.

Surprised they didn't use the magic FREE word. Raise the room rate and advertise FREE PARKING.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which ones do you stay at? I usually go Vistana Village on I-Drive or Hilton Grand Vacations near Sea World. Don't think I ever got them that low, but close to it.

The deal I was referring to for just a point of reference. https://www.mousesavers.com/sheraton-vistana-villages-resort-villas/ Same place.

The distance may scare some people... but it’s not really all that different.

I just found it ridiculous to compare a best western and a deluxe. You are either shopping for cheap... or you are not. (And at the same time trying to debunk deluxe prices with Disney’s cheapest offers... that are not typical.. nor representative of Most periods).

Chef Mickey

Some folk have a budget for vacationing. I applaud anyone who has a concrete financial plan and sticks to it.
Give me a break. This doesn't have anything to do with a concrete financial plan.

Again, if you're worried about a $20/day charge, your financial plan shouldn't include a Disney vacation. You're cutting it way too close.

Goofyernmost

Give me a break. This doesn't have anything to do with a concrete financial plan.

Again, if you're worried about a $20/day charge, your financial plan shouldn't include a Disney vacation. You're cutting it way too close.
Try to think of it this way.... I has nothing to do with the ability to pay it... it is the desire to pay it. There is a difference even if you cannot see it. To keep it in Disney identity. To me it is like charging a reasonable price of $5.00 for a Mickey Bar and then charging another $2.50 to freeze it. One should automatically be part of the other. The only exception is if they are charging rock bottom rates for the resort, which they are never going to be accused of. Right now there are a lot of things that would be better if we thought in the vain of what is right or wrong instead of why not, capitalism is great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom