Resort Parking Charges

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But I am being charged more fees than simply parking. We pay close to $1000 per year in annual dues. Thats nearly 77 nights worth of parking at $13 per night or 45 nights at $22 per night. We visit far less than 77 or even 45 nights per year but I am not yelling "cash grab" am I? If I could swap my annual dues and just pay for parking, I would.
OK, but they don't call those "dues" "parking and other charges." They call them "maintenance fees," and they're charged for things like parking lots, grass cutting, towel replacement, furniture repair, elevator maintenance, etc...

If you were going to yell "cash grab," the time to do it was before you signed the contract obligating you to pay it.

muffy0110

I really enjoyed this thread. The way I see it is this. Many places outside of the wdw resort charge for parking. This was really a free way for wdw to many some more money. I highly doubt wdw would have done it first as it would have sent many to " off site" resorts out of princle. They are just getting their piece of the pie. And it's totally irritating but not a deal breaker for staying or not staying at a resort, since so many other off property hotels do it. I'm sure there are many benefits wdw has reaped with this. But bottom line : someone else's idea and wdw is making money off it for FREE

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I really enjoyed this thread. The way I see it is this. Many places outside of the wdw resort charge for parking. This was really a free way for wdw to many some more money. I highly doubt wdw would have done it first as it would have sent many to " off site" resorts out of princle. They are just getting their piece of the pie. And it's totally irritating but not a deal breaker for staying or not staying at a resort, since so many other off property hotels do it. I'm sure there are many benefits wdw has reaped with this. But bottom line : someone else's idea and wdw is making money off it for FREE
Agreed. It's like McDonald's all of a sudden charging for ketchup.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why do you continue to assert that an expenditure from a revenue stream needs to be "valuable or desirable to the guest"? But if the fees generated from parking are used to prevent the parking lots from deteriorating (i.e. potholes or cracks in the pavement) is that not a benefit for the customer? Or do you actually prefer to hit potholes when driving?

Simple.... maintenance was already being done and already covered by existing dollars. The fees add no new value except to disney’s Revenues

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
OK, but they don't call those "dues" "parking and other charges." They call them "maintenance fees," and they're charged for things like parking lots, grass cutting, towel replacement, furniture repair, elevator maintenance, etc...

If you were going to yell "cash grab," the time to do it was before you signed the contract obligating you to pay it.
None of that changes the fact that I pay more dues or fees or whatever they choose to call it compared to the average guest. My point was in response to your post caliming I am ok with parking fees because as DVC I don't pay them.

My DVC contract allows me to spend appx 12-17 nights per year in a studio room depending on what time of year we visit. With what I pay in annual dues, I am paying appx $55 per night even if I get a full 17 nights per year. My cost per night is double what the average guest pays. And as you noted, I am obligated to that. Am I complaining?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Simple.... maintenance was already being done and already covered by existing dollars. The fees add no new value except to disney’s Revenues
As I mentioned prior, I have no problem admitting I could be wrong. Perhaps Disney is lining their pockets with profits from parking. But we also have no idea what the expenses were for maintaining or repaving (resort) parking lots compared to what they are currently doing or for what they have planned for future parking. And please know that I recognize we are talking about a parking lot , which cannot be too expensive to maintain/upgrade beside from some form of engineering to increase longevity (which I also mentioned prior)

Chef Mickey

No, it's more like McDonald's charging for ketchup. Bags require baggage handlers, which cost $$$. And meals also involved $$$. Ketchup packs involve ¢¢¢.
There are a lot more factors to consider than the actual cost of the baggage versus the cost of ketchup. Airline tickets are a lot more expensive than burgers too.

EngineerMom

Disney is a business plain and simple. They are out to make money so if they think I it makes business sense to charge for parking they will. I don’t think it will change many people’s mind in terms of driving if that is what they want to do.
People have to pay to park at the parks unless you are staying at one of the Disney hotels or have something else like an annual pass so if you choose to stay off site and drive to WDW aren't you still paying for parking ?

BTW magic express is completely to keep you onsite spending money at Disney. Yes you can get around it, you can have groceries delivered, etc. But it will take more of an effort.

lived 35 years of my life without ever stepping foot on Disney property,. It didn't affect my life before and it will not now, especially when I feel as though I'm being fleeced. Others mileage may vary.
So if you never go to Disney why are you on this forum?

Goofyernmost

Disney is a business plain and simple. They are out to make money so if they think I it makes business sense to charge for parking they will. I don’t think it will change many people’s mind in terms of driving if that is what they want to do.
People have to pay to park at the parks unless you are staying at one of the Disney hotels or have something else like an annual pass so if you choose to stay off site and drive to WDW aren't you still paying for parking ?

BTW magic express is completely to keep you onsite spending money at Disney. Yes you can get around it, you can have groceries delivered, etc. But it will take more of an effort.

So if you never go to Disney why are you on this forum?
First off, I never said I wasn't going to ever go to Disney again. I said that I won't be suckered into spending exorbitant amounts of money to get basically the same experience or at least the part that I enjoy. The part I enjoy and the entire purpose of the resort even being there would be the theme parks. Even though the prices are very high to get in the parks, the quantity and quality of the entertainment is way beyond the cost of entry.

What do you get for that $600.00 per night? Let's see... a bed and a TV. I can get that for 1/6th the price and the room is bigger and there are shockingly more channels available on the TV. Now there is paying for the privilege of parking your vehicle over reclaimed swamp land after you already spent $600.00 for a bed and a TV. I get the free parking where I go. If you sequester yourself, as they want you to do, then you have to pay twice, if not more, the money to eat because to get outside the compound it is not only a hassle, but, it is costly to hire transportation, so basically you get what they give you and you pay dearly for it. As far as paying to park at the parks themselves. Yes, I do pay the $20. to do that, but since I spent $100 for my room instead of $600 per night, I think the $20 is doable. And I can come and go as I please, I don't have to stand on a crowded bus filled with sweaty people to get back to my room and I will get there sooner, especially at closing.

If anyone were to ever catch me paying $600.00 per night for a place to sleep when there are other options, that would be a good time to send me off to a special home someplace. I have, since day one, not bought into the immersion concept, in fact, my personality rejects one constant experience. I want to see, do and experience other things besides worship a cartoon character and, especially one that is picking my pocket while I sleep. If you want too, fine with me. I just will happily not be part of that group.

Damon7777

But if the fees generated from parking are used to prevent the parking lots from deteriorating (i.e. potholes or cracks in the pavement) is that not a benefit for the customer?

"benefit" --- you are now the second one on this topic I noticed who used that word in a bizarre way.

So a Disney parking space free from defects is a "benefit" now?.........a benefit is far more closely associated with something extra, something above and beyond, a gift. Disney parking spaces are expected to be free from potholes; there is nothing extra about it.

Next you might call ride safety checks a "benefit".

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
"benefit" --- you are now second one on this topic I noticed who used that word in a bizarre way.

So a Disney parking space free from defects is a "benefit" now?.........a benefit is far more closely associated with something extra, something above and beyond, a gift. Disney parking spaces are expected to be free from potholes; there is nothing extra about it.

Next you might call ride safety checks a "benefit".
Brilliant idea -- Disney can segregate Space Mountain riders into two groups: Alpha, with no daily safety checks, and Omega, with a $23 daily upcharge to those riders who want to pay extra for a safer ride.

Darth_Wes

I'm with you, but seriously, let us know how that goes. My parents live a 30 minute drive away from the MK toll booths. When I've stayed with them in the past I found the drive to and from WDW to be extremely exhausting. I had everything I could want for the family: food, maid, chef, and car all provided by them. I adore my parents, but I cannot stay with them again if the intention is to have a relaxing Disney trip, (plus they don't need the burden).

30 Minutes is a tough commute in Orlando/Lake Buena Traffic. I don't blame you. Might try VRBO.com.

We actually have the inside on a house...with a private pool...that is only 5 minutes from the gate. We stayed there in May after the parking fees went into effect. It's a nice place in a residential neighborhood. Close enough to the action. Uber would probably only be about 10 bucks if we chose to go that route. The rates are quite affordable when compared to a moderate or deluxe resort....If we were so inclined, we could invite friends and family to help offset the costs as it's a 5 BR...which would bring the costs down to even make it comparable to the value resorts.

Chef Mickey

First off, I never said I wasn't going to ever go to Disney again. I said that I won't be suckered into spending exorbitant amounts of money to get basically the same experience or at least the part that I enjoy. The part I enjoy and the entire purpose of the resort even being there would be the theme parks. Even though the prices are very high to get in the parks, the quantity and quality of the entertainment is way beyond the cost of entry.

What do you get for that $600.00 per night? Let's see... a bed and a TV. I can get that for 1/6th the price and the room is bigger and there are shockingly more channels available on the TV. Now there is paying for the privilege of parking your vehicle over reclaimed swamp land after you already spent $600.00 for a bed and a TV. I get the free parking where I go. If you sequester yourself, as they want you to do, then you have to pay twice, if not more, the money to eat because to get outside the compound it is not only a hassle, but, it is costly to hire transportation, so basically you get what they give you and you pay dearly for it. As far as paying to park at the parks themselves. Yes, I do pay the $20. to do that, but since I spent $100 for my room instead of $600 per night, I think the $20 is doable. And I can come and go as I please, I don't have to stand on a crowded bus filled with sweaty people to get back to my room and I will get there sooner, especially at closing.

If anyone were to ever catch me paying $600.00 per night for a place to sleep when there are other options, that would be a good time to send me off to a special home someplace. I have, since day one, not bought into the immersion concept, in fact, my personality rejects one constant experience. I want to see, do and experience other things besides worship a cartoon character and, especially one that is picking my pocket while I sleep. If you want too, fine with me. I just will happily not be part of that group.
What you're missing in all of this is that Disney has added tremendous value to that "reclaimed swampland" and staying on their property requires a higher fee with all the value they have added.

Think of Disney property as a great neighborhood in real estate. You see some of the dump houses that cost $1M just because of where they are? Same thing. The only reason the Hilton can't charge quite as much as Disney is because it's the Hilton. They wish they could charge more, but they can't.

The silver lining is that you can stay in non-Disney properties that are still reasonably close for less (although these have increased quite a bit too). People want to stay in Disney property because, well...it's Disney, there are free and reliable transportation option(s) (don't say it's not, because it is) and the proximity to the resorts is a huge convenience. I love the Contemporary because I can walk to MK. How many hotels can say they are within walking distance to MK, one of the top destinations in the world?

As you said, it's not for you...great. There are people that see value in it, which is why they can charge essentially whatever they want. Why wouldn't they? They certainly fill those rooms up without a problem.

Stop getting caught up in "a bed and a TV." That's not what this is about. Location matters. Disney brand matters. Theming matters. Service matters. Convenience matters. Simplicity matters. Transportation matters.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

I just searched for a room on Disneys website using the 20% summer discount promotion that anybody can use. Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Saratoga were all around $350 per night, not $600. Even the monorail resorts were all under $500. You whittle down the value of a Disney room to "bed and tv". I found the Best Western on International Dr in Orlando for $100 per night. Lets say a family of four chooses to stay at Yacht Club for $350 per night vs your $100 offsite room. Lets stat with pulling up to the resort and beginning your vacation! Here is what you get for $100 at Best Western:
bw.jpg

And here is the lobby when you enter:
BW lobby.jpg

Not bad. Looks clean and tidy.

And here is pulling up to YC:
YC.jpg

YCgreeter.jpg

Oh, how nice, a friendly Cast Member to greet you and assist with anything you before you even get to the main lobby. Which looks like this:

YClobby.jpg

Id say YC wins in terms of comfort, beauty and convenience. And not to mention that you are already on Disney property and inside the bubble.

Next up is the room. Here is the $100 room:

BW room.jpg

And here is YC room:

YC room.jpg

Plank flooring, flat screen tv (with basically every channel sans HBO, showtime), luxurious bathroom and a balcony

So you checked into your $100 per night room on International Dr and are all settled in. The family is ready to head to WDW!!! You get in the car and take the 15-20 minute trip to Disney property hoping there is no traffic (which there probly is so your trip could easily be thirty minutes). Then you pay to park, at TTC for MK or you can park at Epcot or HS and walk into the park.

The family at YC gets settled in and is ready for the parks!! They walk out of their room the same time you and your family do. The YC family take a short stroll to the bust stop and are in MK before you have driven under the arches to get on property. OR if the family chooses Epcot or HS, they take a relaxing walk or boat ride and are definitely in the parks before you even get on property, let alone park the the car.

Id say its another win for YC in terms of comfort and proximity.

So now you have been in the parks for several hours and its getting hot and the kids would like to take a dip in the pool and the parents could use a little break to relax. The YC family is back at the resort quickly and in their room changing into their bathing suits. Lets say its a day when MK is offering EMH. They can relax and take their time since they will have access to the park being open late.

IF (and its a big "if") your family decides to leave the park, first you have to get to your car (which has been baking in the sun). Then take the trip back to the room (Again, hoping their is no traffic). You arrive back at the room and change and hit the pool. Your time is limited because you dont have access to EMH so you either take a short break and then drive back to the parks (again hoping no traffic) or you dont even leave the park because it simply isnt worth the time and hassle to go back and forth. But lets just pretend you did go back for a pool break.

Should i seriously even post the comparison of the pools? Oh but I must!

Best Western:
15524_97_z.jpg

Not bad at all. But pretty basic as far as pools go.

Stormalong Bay:
VYB828987LARGE.jpg

It is so massive you need an Ariel photo to fit it all in in a picture. A pirate ship with a slide, a lazy river, sand bottom with music playing underwater, a full bar as well with food options.

Pool.time is over and time to head back to the parks. YC family can relax and take it slow since there is EMH. Best Western family needs to hurry to have enough time to return and get a few rides in and still needs to get back in the car and drive back.
Now it's later in the day and close to park closing. You purchased a few things in the park.and had to carry them with you and the carry them to the car. You take the trip back to your car then drive back to your hotel after a long day. YC family stays in the park and enjoys some attractions and shows while you are in traffic. They purchased a few things GS and simply had them sent to their room so they did not have to lug them around all day. When the night ends, they catch a bus or simply walk back to their resort.

I would say for the additonal $250 per night(not $500 as you claimed) vs your $100 per night, is well worth it not only for the high level.of convenience and perks, but also for the experience and the memories you make with your family. And what is even better, is that if a family can not afford a deluxe resort such as YC, they can easily satay at a value for appx $150 per night and enjoy the same perks. If the small parking fee outweighs those benefits to you, then by all means, stay off site and enjoy your trip. But for many, the benefits are well worth it. That does not make them "suckers" and you "wise".

Chef Mickey

I just searched for a room on Disneys website using the 20% summer discount promotion that anybody can use. Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Saratoga were all around $350 per night, not $600. Even the monorail resorts were all under $500. You whittle down the value of a Disney room to "bed and tv". I found the Best Western on International Dr in Orlando for $100 per night. Lets say a family of four chooses to stay at Yacht Club for $350 per night vs your $100 offsite room. Lets stat with pulling up to the resort and beginning your vacation! Here is what you get for $100 at Best Western:
View attachment 294305

View attachment 294306

Not bad. Looks clean and tidy.

And here is pulling up to YC:
View attachment 294308

View attachment 294309

Oh, how nice, a friendly Cast Member to greet you and assist with anything you before you even get to the main lobby. Which looks like this:

View attachment 294310

Id say YC wins in terms of comfort, beauty and convenience. And not to mention that you are already on Disney property and inside the bubble.

Next up is the room. Here is the $100 room:

View attachment 294311

And here is YC room:

View attachment 294312

Plank flooring, flat screen tv (with basically every channel sans HBO, showtime), luxurious bathroom and a balcony

So you checked into your $100 per night room on International Dr and are all settled in. The family is ready to head to WDW!!! You get in the car and take the 15-20 minute trip to Disney property hoping there is no traffic (which there probly is so your trip could easily be thirty minutes). Then you pay to park, at TTC for MK or you can park at Epcot or HS and walk into the park.

The family at YC gets settled in and is ready for the parks!! They walk out of their room the same time you and your family do. The YC family take a short stroll to the bust stop and are in MK before you have driven under the arches to get on property. OR if the family chooses Epcot or HS, they take a relaxing walk or boat ride and are definitely in the parks before you even get on property, let alone park the the car.

Id say its another win for YC in terms of comfort and proximity.

So now you have been in the parks for several hours and its getting hot and the kids would like to take a dip in the pool and the parents could use a little break to relax. The YC family is back at the resort quickly and in their room changing into their bathing suits. Lets say its a day when MK is offering EMH. They can relax and take their time since they will have access to the park being open late.

IF (and its a big "if") your family decides to leave the park, first you have to get to your car (which has been baking in the sun). Then take the trip back to the room (Again, hoping their is no traffic). You arrive back at the room and change and hit the pool. Your time is limited because you dont have access to EMH so you either take a short break and then drive back to the parks (again hoping no traffic) or you dont even leave the park because it simply isnt worth the time and hassle to go back and forth. But lets just pretend you did go back for a pool break.

Should i seriously even post the comparison of the pools? Oh but I must!

Best Western:
View attachment 294345
Not bad at all. But pretty basic as far as pools go.

Stormalong Bay:
View attachment 294346
It is so massive you need an Ariel photo to fit it all in in a picture. A pirate ship with a slide, a lazy river, sand bottom with music playing underwater, a full bar as well with food options.

Pool.time is over and time to head back to the parks. YC family can relax and take it slow since there is EMH. Best Western family needs to hurry to have enough time to return and get a few rides in and still needs to get back in the car and drive back.
Now it's later in the day and close to park closing. You purchased a few things in the park.and had to carry them with you and the carry them to the car. You take the trip back to your car then drive back to your hotel after a long day. YC family stays in the park and enjoys some attractions and shows while you are in traffic. They purchased a few things GS and simply had them sent to their room so they did not have to lug them around all day. When the night ends, they catch a bus or simply walk back to their resort.

I would say for the additonal $250 per night(not $500 as you claimed) vs your $100 per night, is well worth it not only for the high level.of convenience and perks, but also for the experience and the memories you make with your family. And what is even better, is that if a family can not afford a deluxe resort such as YC, they can easily satay at a value for appx $150 per night and enjoy the same perks. If the small parking fee outweighs those benefits to you, then by all means, stay off site and enjoy your trip. But for many, the benefits are well worth it. That does not make them "suckers" and you "wise".
Excellent post.

Even the folks at Best Western are capitalizing on the value DISNEY added by charging $100 for their less than stellar hotels. It's probably worth $50, tops which means they are essentially doubling their price.

I think your point about proximity cannot be overstated. Hotels are real estate at their core and the land essentially INSIDE of EPCOT is going to be expensive. You can literally walk to a top 5 most popular park in the world.

All of your points are excellent and prove the point objectively, but all you really need to know is that Disney fills their rooms up for all the reasons you mentioned. The people that pay the Disney prices understand the value add. The people who compare the rooms to a "TV and a bed" just don't get it.

It's fine with me if a person doesn't see the value, but don't act like it's apples to apples when you starting comparing non-Disney hotels.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom