Resort Parking Charges

Damon7777

but how do you know they are not doing more than basic maintenance

I know because my eyes still work well enough to notice that no changes that add desirability to the parking such as covered parking have been made.

There is no added consideration(as in the legal meaning of something of value) for the guest to enjoy.

Chef Mickey

Agree with you this is an absolute cash grab. They are getting where you can't afford to go.
Sorry, but it's not your right to go to Disney. If you can't afford it, increase your income or save more money. It's all about priorities. Do you have a cell phone? See how AT&T just doubled their administrative fee? Yeah, you'll pay that every single month you're a customer on top of your $800 phone that used to be $500.

Everything is expensive and all companies are trying to make money. If it becomes cost prohibitive to you, stop going or change your behavior so you can afford it. Just don't act like Disney's strategy is for people to "afford" their trip. They know everything about their customers and this fee is not going to be onerous on their guests, period. Why so many people act like THIS charge is the last straw is beyond me.

Joebradley62

Capitalism is supposed to benefit everyone. They can charge what they want too, no one disagrees with that, but, I boils down to doing what you can do or what you should do. As long as people are willing to pay it... they will continue to shake us down for everything. Frankly, there was nothing about staying at a Disney resort that made me feel that the cost was worth before the parking charge. It is just another nail in the coffin to me. You are welcome to continue to make Iger and his boys wealthy from their salaries and bonuses. I'd rather not be sucked dry.
Where did you get the definition of capitalism? The benefit you get is they let you park, enjoy the resort. Enjoy the parks. Eat at their restaurants. You have to pay for all of it. I don't now and I guess Ever will understand the concept that Disney owes us anything more than what we pay for. They charge what the market will bear and so far they have not reached that upper limit judging by the contuned sold out resorts and crowds.

Chef Mickey

Your rationale offends thinkers.

I repair and maintain my rental units too. I do a lot of work. But I would not have the audacity to expect my renter to pay some nominal added charge each month just because I fixed sprinkler heads in the yard.

Now if I redesigned my rental house with Pebble Tec pool and changed out countertops to quartz or added value, recognizable value, then I would start looking at getting more money.
Maybe that's why your business isn't the size of Disney? You are giving too much away?

Kidding aside, Disney is making improvements to the parks constantly. Disney probably should have always charged for hotel parking. Why should parking be free? It's not free anywhere else desirable.

Chef Mickey

Where did you get the definition of capitalism? The benefit you get is they let you park, enjoy the resort. Enjoy the parks. Eat at their restaurants. You have to pay for all of it. I don't now and I guess Ever will understand the concept that Disney owes us anything more than what we pay for. They charge what the market will bear and so far they have not reached that upper limit judging by the contuned sold out resorts and crowds.
You are correct. He totally botched the definition of capitalism. By definition, capitalism means everyone doesn't win, except the consumer. For the people competing for the business, there are winners and losers.

Joebradley62

Capitalism is supposed to benefit everyone. They can charge what they want too, no one disagrees with that, but, I boils down to doing what you can do or what you should do. As long as people are willing to pay it... they will continue to shake us down for everything. Frankly, there was nothing about staying at a Disney resort that made me feel that the cost was worth before the parking charge. It is just another nail in the coffin to me. You are welcome to continue to make Iger and his boys wealthy from their salaries and bonuses. I'd rather not be sucked dry.
Says the member of a discussion board about all things Disney.

Joebradley62

It's not just Disney. This nickel and dime approach is prevalent in the travel industry.

Airlines charge for baggage, priority boarding, premium seats, seats with more leg room, wifi access, streaming services, meals etc. If you want to get through security and/or customs faster we got you covered there too: for a nominal fee you too can travel more efficiently with TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry.

Cruise Lines who have marketed for years as all-inclusive vacations are anything but. Your drinks cost more, your excursions cost more and guess what? There's a mandatory amount you must tip. And hey, fancy a meal at one of our signature restaurants....sure...that'll cost more too.

Rental Cars with their insurance waivers that nobody really needs, satellite radio and GPS charges.

And hotels...with the parking fees, resort fees, movie fees, mini-bar fees are just a small part of the bigger picture.

American Airlines doesn't really care, nor does Royal Caribbean, or Hertz, or Marriott. They may give the impression they do - but they don't, really. Unfortunately neither does Disney. If you or I decided that enough was enough, and we were never going to go to Disney again. Think it makes a dent? Sure, if enough people got in this mindset it would - but it's not happening over parking fees.

Edited to say: I'm correcting my statement on Rental Cars. If you are renting a car in Europe or Internationally....absolutely take the insurance waiver. Trust me on this.
Just a small correction tipping is not mandatory on your cruise, they sure make it seem like it but the gratuities for your stateroom host, wait staff etc are purely recommendations. A service charge is added to drink orders but if you opt for all inclusive drinks package you essentially have pre paid this.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I know because my eyes still work well enough to notice that no changes that add desirability to the parking such as covered parking have been made.

There is no added consideration(as in the legal meaning of something of value) for the guest to enjoy.
You are limiting the concept of upgrading to only account for comfort. If Disney is working with an engineering company that is able to increase the longevity of the parking lots and decrease potholes, cracks, or anything else that could happen over time, than that could technically be considered "desirable" to not only Disney but the guest as well.

Joebradley62

What is priority boarding?
Is it getting on a plane first?

If "yes", then what imbecile sees
that as a perk, benefit or something desirable?

Oh I know ....it's those simpletons who rush up eagerly to the gate once their boarding section is called and fall in line just to get to their ***PREASSIGNED*** seat, only to find themselves standing inside the jetway for several minutes.

"Nice work, Pal"--- Patrick, your Chief flight attendant
On the planes where people fight for overhead bin space to avoid the 25 dollar checked bag it is a benefit. Just like the parking fee bag checking fee is just now the price of flying if you choose too. Nobody is forcing anyone to do any of this. Stay offsite, eat offsite, go to universal, go anywhere you want it is free enterprise.

Joebradley62

On a 400 rate... $25 is nearly a 6% boost in margin... for something that costs them nothing to keep in service. I think that’s a sizable boost... pulled down only by the ratio of drivers vs DME rooms.

Disney deluxe hotels tend to be about 600-800 rooms. Assume 90% in service... 90% booked... for 800 rooms that is 236,520 room nights a year. For $23/night... that’s over 5.4 million of potential 100% margin dollars. Even if only 1/4 of people are impacted... that is still over a million dollar boost to the bottom line at a single resort.

At a value with 1900rooms... the same napkin numbers represent over 1.6 million boost.

Not shabby..
That is why I am a disney shareholder.

Damon7777

If Disney is working with an engineering company that is able to increase the longevity of the parking lots and decrease potholes, cracks, or anything else that could happen over time, than that could technically be considered "desirable" .

"Sal,
make that a super stretch"

Your blind obstinence has you reaching.
So that is your idea of something valuable or desirable to the guest?

Last edited:

Joebradley62

They are still hotels... they still operate like most others... and should be in a better spot than most due to the “landlord” situation.

Because what you fail to grasp is... before you were a twinkle in your daddy’s eye.... what made disney was that they WERE NOT like everyone else. And your constant need to point to Disney acting like everyone else as a justification as why it’s normal shows your complete lack of awareness of how Disney got to where it is.
This is of course what Disney wanted everyone to believe maybe their greatest marketing trick ever.

Huh? Taxes are paid by the customer. And it’s just another item they collect and pay through... it all already exists. Implement the program... up front training costs that even a Wharton plebe should know you don’t put in your ongoing expenses.

Not to the hotels... you can already ballpark their revenues... but instead you want to focus on numbers a high schooler could pick part as not useful.

The problem is you actually think you are telling people stuff they didn’t know. We know what other hotels do... we’ve been traveling the world and carrying the bag since you were in diapers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney doesn’t break out their hotel only margins...we can only guess. They only detail parks and resorts, which is pretty vague. Overall, their margins are pretty low, so I have no problem with the fees from that perspective either. It’s a tough business to maintain those parks, resorts, and pay all the employees while keeping the entitled public expecting the world happy.

You want like all sides of this argument. If you just want to talk hotels, it’s easy. Pretty standard to pay for parking along with other fees Disney doesn’t even charge yet. If you don’t want to talk hotels, I’m pointing out other companies rip you off a lot more. You don’t want to hear either...don’t know what to tell you buddy.

You can only assume the fee goes straight to the bottom line. You still have to implement the program and pay taxes. Even if you just limit the revenue to parks and resorts, the fee is a rounding error. They are trying to discourage the car itself. How parking was ever free at a Disney hotel is honestly a mystery to me. I pay to park at tons of hotels I’ve stayed in all over, particularly those in nice areas. Resort fees are also super common, so get ready.

How long you been around?

The dynamic of fee based parking is an entirely different concept than what’s youre making it. Fee for parking is based almost entirely on space limitations/demand and the cost of real estate in those scenarios.

It’s only recently that fee for ample parking hasn’t grown as a trend. That’s what Disney Is doing. Like it or not...that’s what it is.

Have you ever not defended a Disney decision? Just curious?

flynnibus

Premium Member
My mistake. Either way, they have still charged for years.

But it used to be good for parks too... that changed about 5-7 years ago? When their parking stopped being good for the parks... it neutered it.

But, you can also say Shades of Green added a parking garage in recent times... and is an 'independent' location unlike the Disney properties.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And FWIW, we have DVC and pay annual dues that are for maintenance of the entire resort which include (and cost) much more than the parking fees. I could easily complain that Disney makes enough money to not have to charge me these things.
OK... so you're yet another poster who isn't being charged a parking fee on DVC stays saying you're OK with Disney charging one.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
OK... so you're yet another poster who isn't being charged a parking fee on DVC stays saying you're OK with Disney charging one.
But I am being charged more fees than simply parking. We pay close to $1000 per year in annual dues. Thats nearly 77 nights worth of parking at $13 per night or 45 nights at $22 per night. We visit far less than 77 or even 45 nights per year but I am not yelling "cash grab" am I? If I could swap my annual dues and just pay for parking, I would.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
"Sal,
make that a super stretch"

Your blind obstinence has you reaching.
So that is your idea of something valuable or desirable to the guest?
Why do you continue to assert that an expenditure from a revenue stream needs to be "valuable or desirable to the guest"? But if the fees generated from parking are used to prevent the parking lots from deteriorating (i.e. potholes or cracks in the pavement) is that not a benefit for the customer? Or do you actually prefer to hit potholes when driving?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom