Resort Parking Charges

Chef Mickey

Capitalism is supposed to benefit everyone. They can charge what they want too, no one disagrees with that, but, I boils down to doing what you can do or what you should do. As long as people are willing to pay it... they will continue to shake us down for everything. Frankly, there was nothing about staying at a Disney resort that made me feel that the cost was worth before the parking charge. It is just another nail in the coffin to me. You are welcome to continue to make Iger and his boys wealthy from their salaries and bonuses. I'd rather not be sucked dry.
Capitalism actually isn't supposed to benefit "everyone." By definition, it's survival of the fittest and the market decides who wins. Disney is winning.

You don't get to decide what is right and wrong. I love Disney and couldn't care less about the fees. We are just 2 opinions that don't matter. The market decides if they can continue charging that and the shareholders decide if they'll keep their money invested.

You're getting sucked dry on plenty. All companies are milking you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with you. I'm not defending Disney by any stretch so let's get that clear. I think Disney erred in the roll-out. If they had come out and said it's going to be say a $5 parking fee - it wouldn't have created the level of animosity that it did. Once the fee became ingrained, then it would be subject to gradual increase. To $8 then $12, $14.......all the way to where it'll probably be soon in the $30's for a deluxe and mid-$20's for a moderate.

The resort fee is going to happen. It's all about timing now. If Disney rolls-out at $40 (which wouldn't surprise me) then yes....a ton of backlash. But what if they roll-out at $9.99 or $14.99 and give you some sort of perceived value along with it? The key is to introduce it, fend off the reaction....and have it accepted. Once accepted - it's up the mountain we go.

While that model works to diffuse the customer focus on a topic.. it doesn't really change that Disney crossed over into 'nickle and diming' people.. and they won't forget that. And we all know 'line item' billing always causes more scrutiny than just lumping things together. Disney could have upped prices $10 a room and most would have just moaned and moved on.

The flaw in this one (IMO) was the blanket application. Normally when you impose fees or penalties to influence behavior you add pain where you don't want people, and create a 'favorable' path where you do want people to be. Disney instead went with the 'everyone is the same' approach which instead of just discouraging specific behavior, penalizes people for actions that are completely ordinary and expected. That is why Disney will forever fight customer sentiment over fees like these.

And why arguments like 'its to shape behavior' falls flat. If Disney was service focused AND wanted to shape that behavior... they could have taken other paths. Instead they went with the lazy, 'screw em all' model that also happens to be the cheapest and easiest. So, how are you going to convince people Disney really cared here... you can't. And that's what rubs people more than anything... the changing of the attitude towards the customers... not the $5, $10, etc.

Those who went to business school just to learn how the machine works... but missed all the "building brand champions" classes... don't get that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Jaded view...Disney is still a wonderful place and the best park experience in the world. Fees change nothing at a high level. All vacationing gets expensive.

Want expensive but impressive? Goto Discovery Cove... then go back to the MK and realize Disney rides on its history, not being the best at everything.

Chef Mickey

Want expensive but impressive? Goto Discovery Cove... then go back to the MK and realize Disney rides on its history, not being the best at everything.
That's a big part of Disney. I couldn't care less about the theming at Discovery Cove. I want my nostalgia. I want the Disney content....by the way, so does everyone else.

John park hopper

I really doesn't matter what we call the parking fee, Disney as a business can charge whatever the market will bear. Do I like it heck no Was their business model all ways like this IMO I don't think so. Me as a consumer can rightfully complain to management, suck it up and pay it or simply stop going. I still enjoy WDW but if they wish to charge me more as a consumer I can make adjustments in my spending. As I posted previously we bring our own breakfast (I drive) and spent $30 ++++ for lunch in the parks-- with the added parking fee I will now bring things for lunch. So Disney you may charge me for parking but in reality your have just lost money.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
While that model works to diffuse the customer focus on a topic.. it doesn't really change that Disney crossed over into 'nickle and diming' people.. and they won't forget that. And we all know 'line item' billing always causes more scrutiny than just lumping things together. Disney could have upped prices $10 a room and most would have just moaned and moved on.

The flaw in this one (IMO) was the blanket application. Normally when you impose fees or penalties to influence behavior you add pain where you don't want people, and create a 'favorable' path where you do want people to be. Disney instead went with the 'everyone is the same' approach which instead of just discouraging specific behavior, penalizes people for actions that are completely ordinary and expected. That is why Disney will forever fight customer sentiment over fees like these.

And why arguments like 'its to shape behavior' falls flat. If Disney was service focused AND wanted to shape that behavior... they could have taken other paths. Instead they went with the lazy, 'screw em all' model that also happens to be the cheapest and easiest. So, how are you going to convince people Disney really cared here... you can't. And that's what rubs people more than anything... the changing of the attitude towards the customers... not the $5, $10, etc.

Those who went to business school just to learn how the machine works... but missed all the "building brand champions" classes... don't get that.

It's not just Disney. This nickel and dime approach is prevalent in the travel industry.

Airlines charge for baggage, priority boarding, premium seats, seats with more leg room, wifi access, streaming services, meals etc. If you want to get through security and/or customs faster we got you covered there too: for a nominal fee you too can travel more efficiently with TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry.

Cruise Lines who have marketed for years as all-inclusive vacations are anything but. Your drinks cost more, your excursions cost more and guess what? There's a mandatory amount you must tip. And hey, fancy a meal at one of our signature restaurants....sure...that'll cost more too.

Rental Cars with their insurance waivers that nobody really needs, satellite radio and GPS charges.

And hotels...with the parking fees, resort fees, movie fees, mini-bar fees are just a small part of the bigger picture.

American Airlines doesn't really care, nor does Royal Caribbean, or Hertz, or Marriott. They may give the impression they do - but they don't, really. Unfortunately neither does Disney. If you or I decided that enough was enough, and we were never going to go to Disney again. Think it makes a dent? Sure, if enough people got in this mindset it would - but it's not happening over parking fees.

Edited to say: I'm correcting my statement on Rental Cars. If you are renting a car in Europe or Internationally....absolutely take the insurance waiver. Trust me on this.

Last edited:

Damon7777

priority boarding

What is priority boarding?
Is it getting on a plane first?

If "yes", then what imbecile sees
that as a perk, benefit or something desirable?

Oh I know ....it's those simpletons who rush up eagerly to the gate once their boarding section is called and fall in line just to get to their ***PREASSIGNED*** seat, only to find themselves standing inside the jetway for several minutes.

"Nice work, Pal"--- Patrick, your Chief flight attendant

UncleMike101

As I told the Disney Rep who called me, I'll make up the parking fees by not eating at the ADR based places.
We normally dine at a nice sit down establishment every day but on the next trip we'll make do with burgers and other relatively inexpensive meals.
Also the usual souvenirs will remain in the Disney stores. I can do without more coffee mugs anyway.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What is priority boarding?
Is it getting on a plane first?

If "yes", then what imbecile sees
that as a perk, benefit or something desirable?

Oh I know ....it's those simpletons who rush up eagerly to the gate once their boarding section is called and fall in line just to get to their ***PREASSIGNED*** seat, only to find themselves standing inside the jetway for several minutes.

"Nice work, Pal"--- Patrick, your Chief flight attendant

uhh... priority boarding is useful for two things
1) less standing on the jetway
2) less chance of not having space for your bags

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's a big part of Disney. I couldn't care less about the theming at Discovery Cove. I want my nostalgia. I want the Disney content....by the way, so does everyone else.

That's what they are conditioned to think... until they start realizing it's more a tale than fufilling. Discovery Cove is top to bottom what vacationing is supposed to be like. Catered to, pampered, easy, happy, and being blown away doing what you do.

It's what happens when people learn from you, copy you, and continue to improve... while you coast on nostalgia...

Damon7777

uhh... priority boarding is useful for two things
1) less standing on the jetway
2) less chance of not having space for your bags

OK here we go

I have flown up to 100 times for non work/business and I am not faithful to any one carrier nor destination.
United, Northwest, Spirit, Asiana, Japan, Philippine Air, China, Korea, Cathay, Mexicana, Iceland Air, ect....

I have always been next to last if not very last one to board by waiting for last call. Compared to other passengers I have less jetway time.
And I always have carryon storage available

flynnibus

Premium Member
OK here we go

I have flown up to 100 times for non work/business and I am not faithful to any one carrier nor destination.
United, Northwest, Spirit, Asiana, Japan, Philippine Air, China, Korea, Cathay, Mexicana, Iceland Air, ect....

I have always been next to last if not very last one to board by waiting for last call. Compared to other passengers I have less jetway time.
And I always have carryon storage available

Well, buy a lottery ticket then... because your experience is not typical.

Since the implementation of baggage fees on most carriers, the overheads are almost always full as people bring rollers onboard more frequently to avoid the checked bag fees.

Damon7777

OK call me naive because I'm sure I deserve it but I always have just assumed that for every seat there is a relatively equal amount of overhead available and if things get ugly then the Patricks of the industry can assist and take the carry-on to an overflow storage area.

Goofyernmost

Capitalism actually isn't supposed to benefit "everyone." By definition, it's survival of the fittest and the market decides who wins. Disney is winning.

You don't get to decide what is right and wrong. I love Disney and couldn't care less about the fees. We are just 2 opinions that don't matter. The market decides if they can continue charging that and the shareholders decide if they'll keep their money invested.

You're getting sucked dry on plenty. All companies are milking you.
OK, then in that case I can tell the beneficiary's of Capitalism to pound sand. They are going after something that isn't needed to sustain life and something that offers many options. So I guess it is OK for others to just fall in line and be herded into abusive behavior. I shall continue to stay offsite and not pay parking fees and wander around to all the other Central Florida things that there are to do and Disney can gouge whomever else that they can gouge.

I have spent upwards of two weeks vacationing in Central Florida and on more then one occasion spent no more then three days at WDW. The rest of the time I was enjoying all the other things that Florida has to offer.

Damon7777

Oh and sorry CaptainJackNo, for doing a mid air hijacking of your thread.

I fully plan to reroute this back to parking lots and the finer points of laissez-faire doctrine and Adam Smithsonian rhetoric

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
OK call me naive because I'm sure I deserve it but I always have just assumed that for every seat there is a relatively equal amount of overhead available and if things get ugly then the Patricks of the industry can assist and take the carry-on to an overflow storage area.

That's not true. They can't gauge the size of carry on items one will bring..... If you are in the last boarding zone on a sold-out flight - there's a good good chance they'll ask you to check your baggage at the gate.

You're allotted a carry-on bag (to store in the overhead) and a personal item (theoretically to be stored under your seat). However, this theory is often disproved - I've seen people with over-sized spinners cramming them into the over heads along with an over-sized personal bag that has no chance of fitting under any seat.

Damon7777

They can't gauge the size of carry on items one will bring

Well actually that totally depends.
China Airlines out of San Francisco to Taipei made every single "cattle" passenger, yes hundreds of us, place our carry on junk in a box to measure volume and it was weighed too. If it passed inspection it received a red tape like tag.....China Air did this right there at the gate 40 minutes before loading.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom