Resort Parking Charges

We drive down from Michigan a couple times a year. I like driving and, for me, it's the least stressful method of travel with a teenager and a dog. Lots of room in the van and we can bring as much with us as we want. I like staying onsite and was considering it again when they opened up some pet-friendly rooms, but this parking fee nixed that. Though it's not a ton of additional money, it took the cost over the "not worth it now" line.

So, our next two trips will be like our last several: we'll stay off-site in a pet-friendly 4 bed, 3 bath villa with private pool, kitchen, laundry, etc., for far less than staying onsite. And instead of eating all of our meals on property like we would if we were staying at a Disney hotel, we'll eat 75% of them off property. At this rate we may never stay on-site again, which is a bummer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ritz Caymans.

Seriously.... you want to cite a 5 star, ocean front resort.... from one of the top luxury brands... on one of the most expensive islands in the Caribbean as some sort of... even in the same universe... comparison discussion with a main land, holiday inn level hotel?

That’s like saying, why are you complaining about Toyota prices because my Ferrari is wayyyy more expensive. True, but not even remotely comparable or related.

Never mind what that $75 fee got you.... including food, spa services, recreation, etc. at least they have some meat behind their fee’s value.

Not even remotely convincing of a counterpoint.

Chef Mickey

Seriously.... you want to cite a 5 star, ocean front resort.... from one of the top luxury brands... on one of the most expensive islands in the Caribbean as some sort of... even in the same universe... comparison discussion with a main land, holiday inn level hotel?

That’s like saying, why are you complaining about Toyota prices because my Ferrari is wayyyy more expensive. True, but not even remotely comparable or related.

Never mind what that $75 fee got you.... including food, spa services, recreation, etc. at least they have some meat behind their fee’s value.

Not even remotely convincing of a counterpoint.
I absolutely consider Disney a top 5 worldwide destination... because it is and thus very comparable in terms of desirability. I never said the vacations were the same, the experience was the same, or the Disney hotels even approach the Ritz. That Ritz in Caymans destroys any Ritz in the entire US and is probably one of their best properties in the world.

However, my point wasn’t that the Disney hotels are on par with the Ritz. You think I don’t understand that when I’m paying $1300/night in the Caymans to literally just be there?

The point was that hotels charge fees when they can. Disney could charge a lot more too. Disney is more popular than the Caymans, by a lot, so they actually have even more pricing power.

The fact Disney doesn’t charge a resort fee and only charges $25/night is purely a gift.

BTW, the $75 at the Ritz doesn’t get you any food, any spa, or any meaningful recreation unless you consider a water tricycle a water activity. It gets you WiFi and water. Anything at the spa at that Ritz is a la carte and starts at $100 and all the food is separate. I ate dinner at possibly the best restaurant I’ve ever eaten, but it was $500 for 2 with no alcohol.

I paid an extra $200/day for a cabana as well.

Want a less extreme example? I paid $30/day to park in the DC area at a dumpy Westin and had zero activities. There was also a $20/day resort fee that included 2 waters and WiFi. $50 for nothing in one of the worst dumps I’ve stayed, even for a Westin.

Buck up on the fees.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
BTW, the $75 at the Ritz doesn’t get you any food, any spa, or any meaningful recreation unless you consider a water tricycle a water activity. It gets you WiFi and water. Anything at the spa at that Ritz is a la carte and starts at $100 and all the food is separate. I ate dinner at possibly the best restaurant I’ve ever eaten, but it was $500 for 2 with no alcohol.

Can’t say I’ve been there (I can stay here for free... https://www.grandcaymanvillas.net/vrp/unit/fischers-reef )

But their web site claims the resort fee covers....
Resort Fee

In addition to standard room rates, there is an additional 10% charge for service, a 13% government tax and a $75 USD daily Seven Mile Beach resort fee.

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman provides our guests with comforts, conveniences and experiences to relax and enjoy our hotel, Seven Mile Beach and the Caribbean Sea. Inclusions of the $75 USD daily resort fee are listed in the bullet points below.

Comforts:

Complimentary dining for children five years old and younger in SEVEN, Bar Jack, Andiamo and Taikun
High-speed wireless Internet access
Use of laptop computers available in Silver Palm Lounge
Morning coffee and tea available in Silver Palm Lounge
Valet parking
10 minutes per day of phone calls to the U.S. and Canada
Recreation:

Access to Starfish Cay, an interactive water playground for children and families
Starfish Cay is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday until mid-November, after which new season hours will be announced
Use of basketball court
Use of tennis courts
Use of game room
Access to la prairie spa facilities including steam rooms, saunas and whirlpools
The fitness center and invigorating fitness classes such as Yoga, Latin Dance Party and Total Toning
Water sports toys including kayaks, standing paddle boards, water tricycle, floating rafts, paddle boats and water hammocks
One-on-one sailing lessons
Snorkeling gear and lessons from our water sports experts at 10:30 a.m. daily
Use of the Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment turtle splash pool
Use of The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Grand Cayman golf course chipping and putting green, and hitting area at The Courts
Entertainment:

Movies under stars at the Harbour Club Theater
Access to a comprehensive DVD Library for in-room viewing
*Please be advised that some of the activities included may vary per season and may be subject to change due to weather conditions.

CaptainJackNO

Original Poster
What does "ample parking" being available, or the fact that the resort owns it have to do with parking fees?

They will charge for it because they can. If I drive past a random, empty pay parking lot somewhere, should I get to park for free because it's not full?

As for being a cash grab, all of Walt Disney World is a cash grab.

You're taking the discussion out of context. People are using "industry standard" as a reason, and I am pointing out that the industry standard that is being cited is in no way comparable to WDW's situation. Scarcity plays into parking fees at other hotels that charge for parking. Here's the problem, they've provided free parking since 1971, so it's not that anyone is entitled to free parking, but it has been offered in the past.

And, as far as WDW being a cash grab in and of itself, I don't agree. I get value for what I pay for in every other aspect of the world, and this includes my 250 dollar bill at Ohana, which I would never pay for a restaurant where I live, but where I live my family cannot have that type of experience. Thus, I get value for that meal and experience. If I can point to a service that I am paying for, I am good. Guests now have to pay for parking if they drive, and there is no upgrade or noticeable service provided with this new fee. If anything, WDW continues to reduce offered amenities while prices continue to rise.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Or you could not roll over... and instead continue to let Disney know your dissatisfaction with their changes... and maybe even charge your spending habits. You know... have a backbone

Another keyboard warrior....great. Look on the bright side - you've conquered fear and denial. Acceptance is right around the corner. You'll get there soon enough. And once the resort fees are announced you'll forget all about those silly parking fees.

I've been to Disney twice since the fee was implemented. Voiced my dissatisfaction (as many others have). I'm not going to get worked up over a $19/$24 fee that is clearly stated at the time I make my reservation. My options are quite simple: stay at the resort and pay the fee or find alternate accommodations that impose no fee.

You on the other hand may choose to take up picket signs and parade up and down the lot at the Polynesian. I'll honk as I'm driving by.

Goofyernmost

I absolutely consider Disney a top 5 worldwide destination... because it is and thus very comparable in terms of desirability. I never said the vacations were the same, the experience was the same, or the Disney hotels even approach the Ritz. That Ritz in Caymans destroys any Ritz in the entire US and is probably one of their best properties in the world.

However, my point wasn’t that the Disney hotels are on par with the Ritz. You think I don’t understand that when I’m paying $1300/night in the Caymans to literally just be there?

The point was that hotels charge fees when they can. Disney could charge a lot more too. Disney is more popular than the Caymans, by a lot, so they actually have even more pricing power.

The fact Disney doesn’t charge a resort fee and only charges $25/night is purely a gift.

I paid an extra $200/day for a cabana as well.

Want a less extreme example? I paid $30/day to park in the DC area at a dumpy Westin and had zero activities. There was also a $20/day resort fee that included 2 waters and WiFi. $50 for nothing in one of the worst dumps I’ve stayed, even for a Westin.

Buck up on the fees.
I'm sorry, but, I practically choked on my bagel when I read that highlighted line. A gift? OMG, you must have had some pretty sad birthday parties. A gift to you is something that you are given, not something that you give to someone else. They are the ones getting the gift for charging you for the land that was paid for years ago and the pavement, that also was paid for years ago and coupled with some of the most insane rates that anyone ever has had the cojones to charge anyone. I hope that Kool aid was a good flavor, at least.

Damon7777

2. The license plates from all those states has almost nothing to do with people driving from those states. You see those license plates because the car rental companies have their vehicles licensed all over the place.

"almost nothing to do"
Really?????!!!!
Can you be anymore dishonest in your postings?

Yes, rental cars frequently carry out-of-state plates but that most certainly does not negate the 10's of thousands of legitimate out of state drivers who descend on the Sunshine State.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Standing lots require cycles of sealing, painting, ultimately resurfacing. That all assumes no failures or damage. Sealing/topcoats can be as frequent as every other year depending on conditions. Painting is 2-5 years depending

Yep, I'm sure you're right.

But the maintenance on a Grand Floridian parking space is the EXACTLY the same as on an All Star but yet GF charges more. GF doesn't see harsher summers nor more intense rains nor host guests that deface the spaces at a higher rate than the value resorts.

Cash grab.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Okay..how's this?

Swolphin - not run by Disney - charges $55 a night plus tax ($32 for resort fee and $23 for parking). If you want valet, tack on another $10 and you're at $65 per night.

I wouldn't necessarily categorize Sheraton and Westin as "5 star, ocean front resort.... from one of the top luxury brands". Yet they're in the ballpark of one.

Or better yet. Hilton Bonnet Creek on property - with it's incredible bargain of a $40 a night resort fee and $27 a night self parking fee ($35 for valet). Don't think I'm the Cayman Islands in an oceanfront room with the Hilton BC. They do have a pretty cool pool though.

Chef Mickey

Can’t say I’ve been there (I can stay here for free... https://www.grandcaymanvillas.net/vrp/unit/fischers-reef )

But their web site claims the resort fee covers....
Resort Fee

In addition to standard room rates, there is an additional 10% charge for service, a 13% government tax and a $75 USD daily Seven Mile Beach resort fee. Just proves my point. Fees galore and a parking fee at Disney resorts is nominal.

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman provides our guests with comforts, conveniences and experiences to relax and enjoy our hotel, Seven Mile Beach and the Caribbean Sea. Inclusions of the $75 USD daily resort fee are listed in the bullet points below.

Comforts:

Complimentary dining for children five years old and younger in SEVEN, Bar Jack, Andiamo and Taikun
High-speed wireless Internet access
Use of laptop computers available in Silver Palm Lounge
Morning coffee and tea available in Silver Palm Lounge
Valet parking
10 minutes per day of phone calls to the U.S. and Canada
Recreation:

Access to Starfish Cay, an interactive water playground for children and families
Starfish Cay is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday until mid-November, after which new season hours will be announced
Use of basketball court
Use of tennis courts
Use of game room
Access to la prairie spa facilities including steam rooms, saunas and whirlpools
The fitness center and invigorating fitness classes such as Yoga, Latin Dance Party and Total Toning
Water sports toys including kayaks, standing paddle boards, water tricycle, floating rafts, paddle boats and water hammocks
One-on-one sailing lessons
Snorkeling gear and lessons from our water sports experts at 10:30 a.m. daily
Use of the Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment turtle splash pool
Use of The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Grand Cayman golf course chipping and putting green, and hitting area at The Courts
Entertainment:

Movies under stars at the Harbour Club Theater
Access to a comprehensive DVD Library for in-room viewing
*Please be advised that some of the activities included may vary per season and may be subject to change due to weather conditions.
Trust me, they make all that sound great and you’re getting a lot, but it’s not the case. If you don’t have kids under 5,the food at SEVEN isn’t free. The water sports, like I said, basically consist of a water tricycle and a paddle boat. They are also almost never available.

You also found there are ADDITIONAL 10% and 13% fees on top of everything you buy and in addition to the $75 resort fee. Haha, I forgot I paid those too!

All the rest of the stuff is pretty much standard at a 5 star hotel. Tennis courts, pool, games, etc. They do give you snorkeling gear that’s been in other guests’ mouths, if that’s your thing.

I’m sure that Villa is nice, but the Ritz is on another level. It’s just really expensive, but quite common for a top destination...like Disney.

The point of all this is Disney hasn’t even scratched the surface on fees and they have more pricing power than the Ritz, if you can believe that.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

I'm sorry, but, I practically choked on my bagel when I read that highlighted line. A gift? OMG, you must have had some pretty sad birthday parties. A gift to you is something that you are given, not something that you give to someone else. They are the ones getting the gift for charging you for the land that was paid for years ago and the pavement, that also was paid for years ago and coupled with some of the most insane rates that anyone ever has had the cojones to charge anyone. I hope that Kool aid was a good flavor, at least.
That’s the reality. They can charge resort fees, service fees, customer charges, activity fees, etc and people will pay it. The fact they don’t is purely....a gift.

I just explained top destinations like my Caymans example are changing fees galore. Disney hasn’t even come close to excessive in my view and is still a fantastic value. The fees at the Ritz are unavoidable too. If you don’t like the parking fee at Disney, don’t drive a car. There is free transportation that is better than good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom